ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Professional Motor Sports

Old 04-05-2009   #11
flyin ryan

Default Re: Honda bows out of F1 ! ! ! Economy hurts !

I think Honda has been beating their head against the wall & throwing money at F-1 for so long know, they didn't/don't care about the optics. Wasn't a matter of them getting out with their head held high...they just wanted out
Old 04-06-2009   #12
tomtom72

Yea, you are proly correct Ryan. They just wanted the nightmare to stop. I guess that they forgot that they were the first from Japan to win a F1 race. I guess the accountants don't care much for history if it's not written on a balance sheet.

Oh well, I think that this will be an interesting season. I would like to see a race run to conclusion with out the safety car being on the track. I wonder how long it will take the other teams to add the wide rear diffuser, now that it has been deemed legal? That will make for some interesting racing.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #13
flyin ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I wonder how long it will take the other teams to add the wide rear diffuser, now that it has been deemed legal? That will make for some interesting racing.
Has it been declared legal...? i thought they still have a hearing coming up...but are letting teams run it for now? The whole things kinda strange, IMO. But thats F-1, LOL. I have a freind i used to race professional MX/SX with that works in England now on an F-1 team, can't say which one otherwise he won't tell me good stuff anymore LOL, but i haven't talked to him in the last week since they didn't have any time in-between the last two races, so i'm not up on the diffuser angle right this moment .

Last edited by flyin ryan; 04-07-2009 at 08:48 PM.
flyin ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #14
tomtom72

I should never read the "news" at the F1 site without my coffee! I gotta get me one of those TiVO things for the GP's in the far east, those start times are a bit too much for me!

You are right, they are going to have that hearing 4/14. I thought the temporary stay was the "judgement" on the diffuser. By Barcelonna there should be a decision. I hope everyone has a new "back half" of the car ready because either way some one is going to need it! Jez that's going to be expensive, gear box case, rear suspension attachment points, etc, etc....

Hey that is cool that you know some one "on the inside". I'll bet that life looks better than it is though, those people earn their cash living in that pressure cooker. Gotta be into it to endure.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 04-07-2009   #15
flyin ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I'll bet that life looks better than it is though, those people earn their cash living in that pressure cooker. Gotta be into it to endure.
Ya...he really doesn't have much of a life, lives in a fish bowl. He's not complaining, knows lots of guys who would love to trade places with him. He likes doing it...for now. One thing he hates is no races in North America anymore, everyone agree's with him that there should be three races here, two U.S. & one in Canada. Ol' Bernie E.
Old 04-10-2009   #16
tomtom72

I don't know that I blame Bernie, it's his business. If he can get that kind of $ to let a promoter have an F1 race, then go for it. I guess that is his idea of a good business model? I agree that it is strange that a U.S. GP can't seem to make a go of it and make it stick. I wonder if the "market" is not as large as promoters think it is? I remember that for a long time there was very little to no TV coverage for F1 at least where I live in the NYC/suburbs. Not till ESPN got hold of it, and then FOX took it away. I liked ESPN a bit more as they showed reruns more often. I'll bet it all comes down to "Fees", and I guess Bernie has control of that too! I remember back in the mid '60's when ABC's WWSports was the only place you saw F1....in B&W!...on Saturdays! No reruns, if you missed it that was it. I'll bet the coverage was a by-product of their coverage of Le Mans because of the GT40. Yea, I watched that too!
Old 04-17-2009   #17
tomtom72

Just thought I'd post a link to the FIA's decision on the diffusers.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9175.html

They are legal.....

This maybe an interesting season for a short while till the have nots get their alternate gear cases on their cars.
Old 04-17-2009   #18
flyin ryan

Ya i heard that, didn't have time to post up. Thanks for doing it for everybody, tomtom72.
Old 04-17-2009   #19
tomtom72

No problemo Ryan.

I was wondering what if the Tufosi and the Merc boys had stumbled upon these defusers instead of the have nots? What would the FIA have said in that case......not to be a nosey parker, but do you hear anything from the inside on what the real feeling about these things are in light of the spirit of the rules? I just can't believe that the brain trusts at Ferrari and Mercedes didn't "see" those and dismiss them as at least violating the spirit of the new rules....JMHO.

Looks like the drivers are not happy with the rubber that Bridgestone brought to the dance. Gotta go read those stories. Enjoy the race!

Tom
Old 05-12-2009   #20
flyin ryan

Brawn still rolling...pretty impressive given the fact how little time Ross B. had to get things the way 'He' want's them from the Honda deal. At this point of the season, they are for real.