ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 05-20-2017   #11
karlaw

Default Re: Dr Color Chip

I have this black Duramax I bought at auction, lots of chips and scuffs.
I using a $100 airbrush and aerosol spray can of proper color. After spraying the rock chips with a tiny dot of paint, the next day it looks like tiny doughnuts all over the panel. Then I take a polish rag, and I use GM window spray on the rag or sometimes directly to panel. You can then rub off the overspray, and hopefully the inside of rock chip stays black. Same for scratches.
The trick is to rub around the chip and when as soon as overspray lifts....quit rubbing. Then I take a dab of black color Turtle Wax, and work the chip area.
Next come the power polisher with the foam pad, and on my variable speed I keep the setting very slow between 1-2, out of 10, and use a liquid light cutting and polish product.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 05-20-2017   #12
karlaw

Another way I have done, on any color of car, use the black dye Turtle Wax and dab the chip to black as possible. Once those nasty white colored chips are blackened out, they seem to disappear. Done this on bright red car, worked good.

Old 05-20-2017   #13
karlaw

I now want to try the Dr Color Chip now that you compared it to the paste like stuff from dealerships.

Old 05-20-2017   #14
Flyman 27

The DR stuff is real paint, it will run if you apply a coat that is too heavy. So several coats work better. It dries quickly, about 10-15 minutes.
It really benefits from using a real artist brush. Wally world has sets of the flat/square brushes that I really like. Plus, they are cheap, just toss them out.
Take your time & enjoy it. The product is very capable of being sanded & polished, it will blend in very well.

I had some deep chips on the shut edge of the driver's door. It took about 6 coats to build up enough paint. But it sanded easily (2000 wet) and polished easily with a 3" detail foam pad (orange). Honestly, the repair blends in and you can't see the patch. You just have to build up enough coats on the deep chips.
Good luck.

Last edited by Flyman 27; 05-20-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #15
32valvesftw

Used it on several cars with OK results. I think deep stuff will still show up. I just had some mixed for saw blades on my 91 ZR1 but have not applied it yet I will try to document the process when I do
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

My "goto" chip repair is the Langka kit with dealer touch up paint and an artist's brush.

All this stuff about going over it twice, or still being able to see divots when the light angle is right...is all foreign to me! I got caught in a hail storm in my black 95 Vette resulting in over a hundred chips. The Langka kit cleaned them all up so we'll I couldn't see any trace of the chips...and I'm talking about a BLACK car!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017   #17
conesare2seconds

Thanks for the tip. Hadn't heard of Langka before, will give them a look before doing more touch up.

Last edited by conesare2seconds; 06-30-2017 at 06:09 PM.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote