ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-04-2008   #11
8upZR1

Default Re: ZR1 w/ SLICKS

The OD used on that Nash 4+3, is there any similarity to a Gear Vendor OD? Is the mounting point for the C-beam built into the casting like a ZF6? I was looking at the chassis and I dont see any convenient place for a dedicated C beam mount in the tranny area. Unless I can get the C beam to mount to the GV Im stuck with the ZF, which aint bad, but its no 8 spd DR4.

On the 4+3 setup, is the C-beam the same overall length as the one for the ZF cars?

I cant bring myself to installing an automato in a stick car. Just impossible. Im kinda a control freak and I absolutely need the ability to be in whatever gear I want.
Old 08-05-2008   #12
jonszr1

the rear end we used was a 9in ford . the way we set it up its a bolt in deal. just alot of thought went into ti before we started it .now i dont worry at all about revving her to 5=6 grand and hammering her , never could get the launch i now have with irs . there is one guy who sells a nice piece for 5k with coilovers takes about 4 hrs to install.
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #13
8upZR1

Sounds sweet. Does the guy who makes the kit have a web site or anything? Id love to take a look at a solid rear end conversion just to see. I took a very serious couple of hours a few months ago and looked around to see what was up. I thought that the best solution would be to keep the 4 link-esque systemit has now and just build a device to solidly lock the spindles to the 3rd member. Kinda like a de'deon tube deal but you'd rigidly mount it to the diff case. Ive heard nothing but excellent things about the case that is in the car right now. Dana super 44 or something like that. Supposedly the same as the viper. Ive seen aftermarket batwings w/ performance gears. All that stuff is insanely $$$. What gear ratio do you run @ the track. Ive still got the stockers and I am contemplating a swap but just dont feel like messing with the thing since its not broken nor showing any issues.
Old 08-06-2008   #14
jonszr1

when i had the irs i tried 410s and 392s which i found gave me better 60 ft times than the 410s. with the 9in I am running 430s with a 27 in tall 16 in slick which i found works awsome . 60 fts are now 1.45-50 with out the fear of breaking. with the irs i couldnt do better than 1.90 and the car ran 12.06@119.22 . i am in the process of transfering the injector housings and plenum ported by corey henderson and headers as well as the rear end to my 92 callaway snat475 . from what i have found out callaway did a decent job of porting the heads on these cars but just extrude honed the plenum and injector housings . will be kinda fun to see what old farrah runs (wifes pet name for her car). hopefully will try to make famoso this fri . i dont know how to do links (computor dummy)the name he goes by is ski down it i would try to do a search on solid rear end conversion. hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2008   #15
8upZR1

Definetely, thankyou for the info. Wow, thats a serious improvement in short times. I never had anything sticky tire wise so I always attributed my horrible 60 ft times to the hard/old rubber that came with the car(still on now). I may seriously consider the swap. Do you know how much camber the IRS adds to static as it compresses during launch? My viper buddy attributes his stellar launches to the fact that their IRS setup doesn't go through chamber changes as the wheels move vertically, but I dont know about that. Good luck at the track.
Old 08-06-2008   #16
jonszr1

a couple of things help the launch on our cars. dis connect the front sway bar . setting 8 a7 or pretty stiff in back ,. what plays hell with these rear end is when they go past neutral or horizontal on the 1/2 shafts. to much play in the rear bad u joints. or haveing the car hop at launch. think at the least get a gear change either 392 or 410s have both one in each car.i like the 392 s better but thats me . hope this helps gotta go work
Old 08-06-2008   #17
Pete

I don't know what kind of power your talking about but i think the IRS rear should hold 700-800HP
A friends auto ZR-1 runs 10's in circles with 1.5's-1.6's.

I've seen somewhere on the internet a C4 doing a wheelie with IRS rear.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #18
Zr1 Destroyer

Rod(nitrousjunkie) cut two 1.4 sixty foots with an auto in his also he was using a 15" draglight on Hoosiers and the IRS held up just fine!
Zr1 Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #19
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr1 Destroyer
Rod(nitrousjunkie) cut two 1.4 sixty foots with an auto in his also he was using a 15" draglight on Hoosiers and the IRS held up just fine!
good god!
Old 08-06-2008   #20
jonszr1

i agree it should hold up but getting stranded 200 miles from home just once was enough for me . i think the biggest thing is to ck the irs over before going to the strip and make sure everything is up to snuff.. i do though like the peace of mind that i now have with the solid axel set up. drpped my et .35-.4 tenths i am .18from my goal