ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-05-2013   #11
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Looking for a plenum accelerater cable clip..Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmyz View Post
That's real funny Dom! .........because.........

That is where the car is right now, as of Sunday night In line for the 510 package!!!!

If I can't find the correct clip, a substitute will be made. Still hopin' to find the right one though as everything will look so nice when the motor is refinished.

Just like WeGone's (very beautiful by the way!)
Why do you guys not tell us local boys when you are going to Haibeck's??.. we don't bite... LOL

Why not have Carter make you 2 cool CNC ones?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #12
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Why do you guys not tell us local boys when you are going to Haibeck's??.. we don't bite... LOL

Why not have Carter make you 2 cool CNC ones?
I never thought of that. We'll see what happens, that would be cool.

"don't bite"?... This was sort of a "fly in"! I trailered the car in and left my town on Sunday at 1:15 P.M. I was there to drop the car off at 10:30 P.M. after 491 miles. Went over the car with Marc and left a little after 12 A.M. ...drove about 30 miles before crashing (sleeping ) at a Hotel 8, just off I-90.

There just wasn't enough time. I'm glad it worked out and I got the car there when I did, as it wouldn't have been very fun now. Timing was perfect.

One thing I will say. YOU GUYS SURE HAVE ALOT OF TOLLS! How much do you guys spend on that in a year??? sheeshz!

I sure will let you guys know when it is time to pick it up!
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #13
WVZR-1

Quote:
I never thought of that. We'll see what happens, that would be cool.
I don't believe it needs any "bling" - that clamp is a very simple Bowden cable retaining clamp that used to come in a package with 50' of housing and 50' of cable. Of course GM discontinued the package also - I gave my last 6' of cable and all the hardware to a fellow that had an early GTO to redo his.

Every car line used them - I don't believe it should be an issue.

Your "under-hood" looks fine

What year is your car? A '92 actually carries a different part # and the number you mention is '93+ What is the difference? Sure don't know.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-05-2013 at 05:47 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #14
Blue Flame Restorations

The earlier cars had two cables going to the throttle body. One was for the cruise control. The clip was more of a butterfly shape that held both cables in place.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
The earlier cars had two cables going to the throttle body. One was for the cruise control. The clip was more of a butterfly shape that held both cables in place.
That's what I have on my '90 and I believe '91 is the same BUT '92 is a single part # by itself and would be for a single cable ASR? The '93+ would still be a single cable and they call for the part # the OP mentions.

The plenums were different - is the clamp different maybe? I don't know. I don't see where one ever replaced the other. The plenum I believe is a '90 - '92 part so I expect that there actually is a difference.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-05-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2013   #16
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I don't believe it needs any "bling" - that clamp is a very simple Bowden cable retaining clamp that used to come in a package with 50' of housing and 50' of cable. Of course GM discontinued the package also - I gave my last 6' of cable and all the hardware to a fellow that had an early GTO to redo his.

What year is your car? A '92 actually carries a different part # and the number you mention is '93+ What is the difference? Sure don't know.
I simply have assumed that the '92 clip is the same as the '93 - '95 because these cars all have one cable because of the ASR.

The picture at the beginning of the thread is of the motor on my '94. I bought it in Naperville, IL in the fall of 2001. It was the realization of finally having my all-time dream car, the "King of the Hill". I wanted to find a really nice low mile, original car. And while it is low mileage, it isn't a paper weight. It had 6,500 miles on it when I bought it and currently has about 11,000 miles (ok, almost paperweight).

The car missing the clamp is a '95. It is a Competition Yellow car that I bought from the original owner, a 90 year old gentleman from Santa Barbara, CA in April 2012. It has 50,000 miles and does need some work in areas, but that is something I will enjoy doing. And, I will enjoy driving it...after all why should I let everybody else have all the fun? While I feel the car was misrepresented a little bit the price had me throwing caution to the wind with check in hand. I have gotten past that, know what I have, happy, and will slowly make it an awesome car.

It is #400. You know what is kind of cool? When cleaning up the car at home, I had it on the lift and had the rear wheel well panels out. I found that it was signed by Jerry Watts on April 7, 1995, as it went down the assembly line! I think that is pretty cool anyway.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 12-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2013   #17
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
that clamp is a very simple Bowden cable retaining clamp that used to come in a package with 50' of housing and 50' of cable. Of course GM discontinued the package also -

Thanks for the info. That may help in my search.
Old 12-05-2013   #18
WVZR-1

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That may help in my search.
I'll check with a couple friends who might still have a heater control cable package for you. I tried earlier today but one fellow is off the rest of the week. What might be the only difference is if the one on the car has a small tab that indexes it to a hole in the plenum. If there's two holes in the plenum, one for the threaded fastener and a smaller one for the indexing tab then the Bowden clip would be a bit different. Would it fly? I'd think so.

Another very likely source would be a small engine repair shop. These clamps are used for throttle and choke cables on almost every piece of lawn/garden or commercial equipment that there is. Some don't resemble it but others are very close and some even use a locating tab/tang. Kubota, Deere, Cub Cadet maybe!

Here's something similar from an agriculture supply store. Their part number seems shared with B&S

http://www.agrisupply.com/conduit-cl...ampaign=SSIDE/

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/detail.asp?id=220796

The locating tab I believe is in the wrong location for a direct fit. I'd be very tempted to use a "closed style clip/clamp" X 2 until I found the "real deal". Maybe even a forever thing.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-06-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2013   #19
Meanmyz

Well, I think we can put this thread to bed. Another member (ZZZZZR1) has some clips that he is selling me (Thanks David).

Also, thanks to all who responded and those who maybe didn't but did ground work or checked for some. A big THANK YOU to WVZR1 , for your help...it takes up time to do like you did.

One last thought....The "Brotherhood of the Beast", us ZR-1 enthusiasts, is one of the best, most dedicated and tight knit group of auto enthusiasts around. That is apparent both on this site and other ones dedicated to the ZR-1. It shows, and I think it puts potential owners at ease when considering a ZR-1.

It seems like there have been many more "I'm thinking about buying a ZR-1" type threads lately. And compared to years ago, I think in general, lower mile cars are getting more hard to find, which might start driving demand, helping all of us.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. Ok. the part about "helping all of us" only works when you "SELL". And I don't plan on selling any of mine, and I know there are others who feel the same way!!! (which still helps with value).

Anyway, thanks Brotherhood!
Old 12-07-2013   #20
Franke

Right on MeanmyZ. This is a good group of folks who really do enjoy their cars and are of great benefit to others... so I renewed my membership again.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote