ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 09-03-2021   #1
RichieDMD

Default Re: I Bought a ZR-1!!!! 1995 #121

Well, she got delivered a couple hours ago and I took her for our first spin. It was awesome...everything that I was wanting.

The condition of the car is superb. It has a couple very minor paint chips but for a 26 year old car...I don't think they get much better outside of a museum.

The car drives very nice. It's fast...but not insanely so. I honestly figured it would be a little faster than my 2002 SS Camaro (which has some minor aftermarket work done) and slower than my daily driver 2017 BMW M3. I think my expectations were accurate.

What really drew me to the ZR-1 was the fantastic history and cool story.

When I decided to sell my 1993 Camaro Pace Car...I did it because it was too similar of driving experience with my 2002 Camaro (but worse in every measurable way)...but it had a better story/history. I choose to keep the more fun car to drive and sold the story. So, I wanted a car with just as good of a story but that was just as fun to drive (but also had a different feel).

I think this is exactly that...I'm in love.

If I'm honest, it doesn't feel like it has the brutish raw power of the Camaro even though it has more HP. I think the reason for that is the ZR-1 is so well balanced and refined. It's really drivers car and not a V8 deathtrap (like the Camaro).

I think my little car collection suits me really well. I have a luxury performance daily driver, one of the coolest Corvette's ever built, and a sentimental deathtrap Camaro.
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021   #2
Norwegianmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieDMD View Post
Well, she got delivered a couple hours ago and I took her for our first spin. It was awesome...everything that I was wanting.

The condition of the car is superb. It has a couple very minor paint chips but for a 26 year old car...I don't think they get much better outside of a museum.

The car drives very nice. It's fast...but not insanely so. I honestly figured it would be a little faster than my 2002 SS Camaro (which has some minor aftermarket work done) and slower than my daily driver 2017 BMW M3. I think my expectations were accurate.

What really drew me to the ZR-1 was the fantastic history and cool story.

When I decided to sell my 1993 Camaro Pace Car...I did it because it was too similar of driving experience with my 2002 Camaro (but worse in every measurable way)...but it had a better story/history. I choose to keep the more fun car to drive and sold the story. So, I wanted a car with just as good of a story but that was just as fun to drive (but also had a different feel).

I think this is exactly that...I'm in love.

If I'm honest, it doesn't feel like it has the brutish raw power of the Camaro even though it has more HP. I think the reason for that is the ZR-1 is so well balanced and refined. It's really drivers car and not a V8 deathtrap (like the Camaro).

I think my little car collection suits me really well. I have a luxury performance daily driver, one of the coolest Corvette's ever built, and a sentimental deathtrap Camaro.
I suppose your car has stock rear end gears which doesn't make it feel rocket fast. Myself just love the 4.10 rear end gears which makes it a whole different experience. Test drove a stock one once and it felt "slow" compared to mine. Of course I have Watson headers and Corsa exhaust as well as lightweight flywheel that also makes a difference, but the rear end gears are the most bang for the buck upgrade wise in my view. 20210701_182157.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #112 Admiral Blue/Black
Dana 4:10
Aluminum flywheel
Corsa exhaust
Watson headers
Haibeck chip
470 HP/399 RWHP

1991 ZR-1 #400 White/Red (SOLD)
Dana 4:10
Powder coated engine
Haibeck performance chip
Borla exhaust
Norwegianmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021   #3
RichieDMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegianmopar View Post
I suppose your car has stock rear end gears which doesn't make it feel rocket fast. Myself just love the 4.10 rear end gears which makes it a whole different experience. Test drove a stock one once and it felt "slow" compared to mine. Of course I have Watson headers and Corsa exhaust as well as lightweight flywheel that also makes a difference, but the rear end gears are the most bang for the buck upgrade wise in my view. Attachment 16219

Sent from my SM-G955F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Lower gears would certainly liven it up a bit...but honestly I really like it as is stock. I think I might hot rod the Camaro a little but keep the ZR-1 original.
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieDMD View Post
Lower gears would certainly liven it up a bit...but honestly I really like it as is stock. I think I might hot rod the Camaro a little but keep the ZR-1 original.

Richie, You have other cars that are faster than the Z so keeping it stock might be a great idea. At least until you get tired of it and no longer exciting. I went through the modding phase on my 90Z with 500+HP with cams and gearing with light weight flywheel and all. It was fun. When I got my 95Z it was supposed to stay totally stock. That lasted maybe a month. [emoji38] But I vowed I?m not going to overdo and put too much into this one. All I did was get crazy with the extra power and pounded it all the time. I guess I?m getting older so going more looks and comfort, concentrating on the handling and suspension. You?ll know in time. I wish I left mine totally stock. I?m at the point of no return now. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote