ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-12-2016   #11
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: Anyone ever install Cats on their OBX headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
The OBX headers are designed to bolt up to the factory exhaust or Corsa like I Have. SO what my #1 QUESTION is how are the cats installed on OBX Headers than connected to the cat back??????

Do you have to cut out the fake cats? than weld in aftermarket cats, than weld on the 3 bolt flange for driver side and slip on for passenger side?
The "fake cats" on the OBX headers are separate pieces. Just leave them off.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #12
Johnny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
The "fake cats" on the OBX headers are separate pieces. Just leave them off.
Really? I never saw a pair in person. So I can just buy the OBX, buy (2) 3 inch inlet/outlet universal cats, have a shop fabricate them so one side comes to 2.5 inch to my corsa and I should be good?

I was under the impression that the OBX Bolts right up to the stock system so the cats that i buy would have to be the same size as the "fake ones" I won't be using correct? (to not throw off any alignment issues of my current cat back.) Does anyone know that length?

Sorry for all the questions but I wanted to do research if i would be saving $$$$ buying OBX and putting my own cats on as opposed to buying SW with cats for $1220.

Last edited by Johnny5; 04-12-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #13
Karl

The end of the obx are hollow 3" in and out with a slight rise. A bullet type catalytic converter would most likely fit best.

These are mine without the end pieces.

1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #14
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Really? I never saw a pair in person. So I can just buy the OBX, buy (2) 3 inch inlet/outlet universal cats, have a shop fabricate them so one side comes to 2.5 inch to my corsa and I should be good?

I was under the impression that the OBX Bolts right up to the stock system so the cats that i buy would have to be the same size as the "fake ones" I won't be using correct? (to not throw off any alignment issues of my current cat back.) Does anyone know that length?

Sorry for all the questions but I wanted to do research if i would be saving $$$$ buying OBX and putting my own cats on as opposed to buying SW with cats for $1220.
Yes, mine bolted right up to the Corsa system using the supplied bullets. There will be no difference in system sound with different brands of headers. I really wanted SW headers and was willing to pay more for them, but not nearly twice as much. I would suggest having them coated prior to install. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2016   #15
Johnny5

AAAH someone told me OBX came with fake cats so i assumed they were welded on and the ebay pic makes it look like its all 1 piece. Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Johnny5; 04-13-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2016   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
AAAH someone told me OBX came with fake cats so i assumed they were welded on and the ebay pic makes it look like its all 1 piece. Thanks guys!!
Suggest you use some of the saved $$$ to have it dyno tuned, asap.

You can have Marc Haibeck or Corry Henderson provide a pre-programmed chip that will get you in the ball park, and you can drive (read: HAMMER!) it immediately. Also, Marc programmed my fans to both come on at ~205º and turn off at ~ 200º, as well as adding anti-backfire fueling.

However, dynamic tuning, i.e., on a dynojet or whatever, is the best way to get the last few ponies out of your mods.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016   #17
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Suggest you use some of the saved $$$ to have it dyno tuned, asap.

You can have Marc Haibeck or Corry Henderson provide a pre-programmed chip that will get you in the ball park, and you can drive (read: HAMMER!) it immediately. Also, Marc programmed my fans to both come on at ~205º and turn off at ~ 200º, as well as adding anti-backfire fueling.

However, dynamic tuning, i.e., on a dynojet or whatever, is the best way to get the last few ponies out of your mods.

No question about this. Marc will add fuel so that you can take full advantage of the header swap, and the anti-backfire thing is an absolute MUST! Marc missed that in my initial tune (he fixed it for me immediately and at no charge, of course) and my Z backfired VIOLENTLY on every shift.
Old 04-15-2016   #18
Johnny5

Okay, so I bought the Oil Dipstick from Paul, Header Gaskets from Jerry, Stage 8 bolts from Summit Racing, going to buy high temp copper Permatex from Autozone tomorrow....Now it is New OBX for $550 or used Watson headers for $700.

I have to find out which cats to buy and get them fabricated to slip one end on my 2.5 inch Corsa exhaust.

The last thing is whether or not i need an O2 extension and where to buy them. I bought new O2 sensors and see the 3 prong clip.

Do i defnitely need an extension and where would I find one for our cars?
Old 12-10-2017   #19
Ccmano

Old thread here but it looks like the original question was never answered. What cats are other using with OBX headers.

I just installed an OBX system, headers and exhaust. I can’t stand the stink at idle, thinking about adding cats. I’m curious to see what other have installed.

Thanks
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017   #20
Johnny5

No cats will bolt right in. I bought magnaflows and has them welded to ibx bracket to bolt to catback exhaust

Cheaper than buying stainless works cats for $500