ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-15-2022   #11
CamP

Default Re: Who is running dry shot nitrous? Curious about it

I had one backfire on the freeway with my dry kit. It broke my air filter housing, but no other damage.

I was running a 140hp shot with no timing retard. For freeway use, I should have been running a smaller shot with some timing retard.
CamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022   #12
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
I had one backfire on the freeway with my dry kit. It broke my air filter housing, but no other damage.

I was running a 140hp shot with no timing retard. For freeway use, I should have been running a smaller shot with some timing retard.
So something like a 50 shot would be on the easier end of the spectrum. This is a big fat disclaimer that I am not going to do anything anytime soon, if ever. However, I have ordered some things to keep me busy and get started. I think I could set everything up to the point where I could put a bottle in and run nitrous if I eventually wanted to.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022   #13
aafc

Ask George about dry shot of nitrous. He had it on his 1990 ZR-1. I don't
think he had any trouble with it after Pete (ZR-1) helped with some ground
wiring I believe. I was told that I could run a 100 shot of nitrous even with
368 cu in 12.5 compression ratio setup.
John
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022   #14
CamP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
So something like a 50 shot would be on the easier end of the spectrum.
As I mentioned before, I ran a 140 shot and used over 1000 pounds of nitrous. I have the original pistons/liners in my shed and you'd never know they ever saw nitrous. Almost no measurable wear whatsoever.

A 50 shot would be super safe as long as the system was properly installed, fuel pumps are healthy, and a/f ratios were good.
Old 06-19-2022   #15
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Just doing little things

Just passing time today. Installed the switch panel. Not hard wired in yet. All the wires connected to it are secured behind the panel until I get to that. I found a trim piece off eBay for about $35 shipped so I didn?t have to butcher the piece originally in the car. Decided to give this a try as I already had this C7 switch panel. I think Nitrous Outlet had a sale on them for $30 whereas they were normally $65 years ago and impulse buy I did.

Just listing this for my own future reference to come back to:

Purge is blue with white stripe
Heater is brown with pink stripe
Arm is orange
Bottle opener has brown with orange stripe & brown with green stripe

Power is red with white stripe for all switches
Ground is black

Not sure which wire off opener switch is open and close. Will have to double check Nitrous Outlets wiring diagrams.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2022   #16
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Just killing time

I am still kicking this around as I research more. No rush at all here. I picked up a nitrous solenoid to go with a spare purge I already had in the parts bin. Just got an entry level unit. No bottom exit port, so I needed a manifold and some little connections to join the nitrous and purge.

Created a little bracket I need to clean up still. Plenty of clearance with the hood fully closed. It would be nice to see some other solenoid placements by other members, but I guess there are not too many messing with it. I planned to mount all the relays and fuses in the tray behind the driver seat. Power supply and ground will be 10 ga wire run to the battery for both. I had some spare 4AN line I used to check that the feed line can reach the manifold without interference as well as routing past the coolant outlet tube.

Lee was kind enough to offer his perspective on this should I decide to go all in.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2022   #17
LGAFF

You will likely find that you need a little larger fuel jet to keep it from going way lean
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022   #18
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
You will likely find that you need a little larger fuel jet to keep it from going way lean
Hi, Lee. If I do anything, I will end up sticking to the dry side of this system.
Old 07-03-2022   #19
CamP

I don't know how the zex dry system provides extra fuel, but the nos dry system uses a solenoid from the nitrous line to a pressure regulator that steps the nitrous pressure down before connecting to the fuel pressure regulator. This spikes the fuel pressure up when the system is activated.
Old 07-03-2022   #20
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
I don't know how the zex dry system provides extra fuel, but the nos dry system uses a solenoid from the nitrous line to a pressure regulator that steps the nitrous pressure down before connecting to the fuel pressure regulator. This spikes the fuel pressure up when the system is activated.
Interesting, I would very much like to review that whole system. Wonder if Holley still has the PDF instructions or overview kicking around somewhere.