ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > ZR-1 Net Registry Club News

Old 11-24-2009   #11
DaveK

Default Re: Registry suggestion

Hi Tom

I agree the registry shouldn't bear the cost. Thats why I suggested some kind of group buy/contribution to fund the purchase. I just thought it might be easier centrally administered. Local groups would be another possibility, though the overall cost t each group (and therefore member) would be higher of course.

Just throwing ideas out

Perhaps we need to do a survey of who would be interested?

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #12
QB93Z

I think that the idea needs to be explored further. We need a list of the tools we are talking about as Jag suggested. Once we know the scope of the collection, we can start making some specific suggestions.

Dave, as the OP, maybe you can get this thread moved to the General Section where it will get more looks.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #13
DaveK

That's a good suggestion Jim. I can't move the thread but perhaps one of the moderators will be kind enough to do that.

Thanks

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

Old 11-25-2009   #14
tomtom72

Dave, I was not trying to be obtuse with you. Sorry if I'm coming across that way.

I just figured that if after some research we determine what we can't have made by our member machinists ( if they would like to help ) that we still should be left with enough volume that if the Registry has any "hooks" with any one we could see some savings from that respect.

Realistically, I can't see this being an inexpensive thing in any form. ( LT5 tools for motor work will carry the traditional corvette tax, plus the ZR-1 tax, plus the "so you wanna build your own LT5's" Tax....sorry couldn't resist! )

Tom

Hey, everyone have a good Gobble Gobble Day!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #15
Dynomite

Knowing the quality of ZR-1 Net registry members, another option is just for members (with special tools ) who might be willing to lend the tools out to just list the tools they have (tools, point of contact and location). Any one can then make an offer for use of the tool and in that way many more tools would be available for use and maybe much closer to those who are in need of "special tools"

Or in the case of a "small ZR1 club" situation, each member chips in on a special tool. In the case of the ZR1 Net registry, the "club" is a bit large and the tools would not always be available or close enough to your locality when you want them

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-25-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #16
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Dave, I was not trying to be obtuse with you. Sorry if I'm coming across that way.

I just figured that if after some research we determine what we can't have made by our member machinists ( if they would like to help ) that we still should be left with enough volume that if the Registry has any "hooks" with any one we could see some savings from that respect.

Realistically, I can't see this being an inexpensive thing in any form. ( LT5 tools for motor work will carry the traditional corvette tax, plus the ZR-1 tax, plus the "so you wanna build your own LT5's" Tax....sorry couldn't resist! )

Tom

Hey, everyone have a good Gobble Gobble Day!

Not at all Tom To me is a great discussion throwing out ideas on a possible idea that might benefit all the members. You're right that whatever way it was done it wouldn't be 'cheap' by definition. If some of the people who are machinists can duplicate some of these tools then that might be a good way of doing it (if they are willing and able to donate their time).

"so you wanna build your own LT5's" Tax??? Damn, I overlooked that one

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

Old 11-25-2009   #17
QB93Z

I don't see it as an all or nothing deal. We don't have to have a complete set of every tool GM ever made.

Even if we start with a just a few LT5 tools and establish a workable system to loan out and get back the tools, we will have accomplished a lot.

I would like to hear more discussion about how a tool inventory could be controlled and what the potential pitfalls are. For example:

- What is a reasonable time frame to hold/use the tool?

- Should the tool be held by the last user and then shipped to the next requesting user, or returned to a central holding point?

- How do we verify membership? Would there be a separate list of authorized tool users.

- What form of "collaterial" would be sufficient to ensure that the tools are returned in a timely manner?

- What happens if a tool gets damaged or lost?

- How much risk is the group willing to take to make the system work? For example if a tool has a $500 value, what impact would its loss have on the user group? Would the group be willing to asorb that loss and continue to loan tools?

- If we created a Tool User Contract, what items/rules should it contain?

What say you?

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #18
Jeffvette

Realistically, are we talking about just a cylinder head pull, or are we talking about a complete motor tear down?
Old 11-26-2009   #19
1990 415

In a perfect world this is a great idea, however we live in reality. Many of the speciality tools are quite expensive which is why most guys don't have them. This plan of loaning them out and expecting them returned unharmed in a timely manner doesn't seem very realistic. There are too many uncertainties for such a loaner program to be very successful.
1990 415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #20
tomtom72

at myself for being so PC illiterate!

To Jeff,
I was looking at the page on the netreg site and I guess the prices are out of date, no? I was thinking that at $642.00 + shipping I could have an 'overhaul kit'? Is that enough to do a rebuild, or head r&r? That's less than I spent on headers or tires.

Jim,
I don't have very many good answers. mainly because I don't know how much money is involved as I'm leery of the prices at the netreg site.

Time Frame: to me it depends upon what operation is being done, first time or not, how much help is the member going to get. This is my reasoning for "local groups" like WAZOO & FBI.

Storage: Centrally. User pays ship to & from. That's why I put forth "local groups" like WAZOO & FBI as examples.

Membership number from NetRegistry? If the Reg can help us on price, then you have to be a dues paying member....sorry I know how that sounds.

You break it, you buy another. You have to be a member of the local group to partake in the program, so you already put up $, in theory you will be careful because they are your tools...in a sense, no? Shipping insurance?

Collateral: Local group vote on that. I don't have an idea, I'm a cash kind of guy.

Tools don't leave the group membership. You have to have skin in the game to be able to use the stuff. I know that's cold, sorry.

Sorry, I know there needs to be more flesh, but these are my "off the cuff" thoughts.

Tom

Another thought just drifted across my mind. Each group would have to determine how "deep" into an LT5 that they want to be able to go. I was thinking of stuff like a Deck Plate. You would have to be able to hone liners to justify having one of those, right? I could be more thoughtful if I knew more about rebuilding an LT5. In the 70's you sent the big stuff to the machine shop....I guess not with our motors? That's why I wanted guidance from the guys that have already built LT5's. Maybe we could ask for a seminar to be given at this Gathering on this subject? Bad idea, right?

Dave, Thank you! Oh, I'm not a communist...the crack about our "member machinists" helping us was not an attempt by me to imply "FREE" was involved. My apologies to our member machinists.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 11-26-2009 at 08:30 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote