ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-11-2020   #11
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Fuel pump not running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Looks like 6 is not even Sparking.. I suggest checking plug #1.. they share the same coil.. see what 1 looks like, could be a bad wire.. Was the car sitting for a long while? maybe a mouse made lunch of the #6 wire
I agree with Jeff's logic. But, is there sign of raw gas in the #6 cylinder?

My point is, it is either a SPARK issue or a FUEL issue. One or the other needs to be eliminated so you can concentrate on the missing (FUEL/SPARK) key ingredient.

SPARK: Regardless of what a spark tester indicates, if the plug is WET but the tester says there's current, then the spark energy is bypassing the spark gap, especially so if the #1 plug looks normal! Start there.

FUEL: IF however, the #6 plug is dry except perhaps for some oily residue (from the crankcase), coupled with the fact that if the #1 plug (in this case) is "normal", then fuel is the issue: either the fuel is blocked within the injector, or the injector itself is bad (most often the internal actuator windings are shorting out - especially injectors susceptible the insulation on the internal windings being dissolved by alcohol. This phenomenon is easily detected by measuring the resistance across the injector WHEN IT IS @ OPERATING TEMPERATURE [especially]!

My best guess (assuming the #1 plug looks normal) is a fuel issue which narrows it to a bad injector or an internal blockage perhaps??

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020   #12
mmkkpro

Hi Jeff, I installed all new wires, coils and two sets of plugs, according to the spark tester everybody is firing. I spoke to MH and he gave me some ideas. I did find that the injector on #6 did not have the same spray pattern as the other 7. I'm getting her back together now with a new tested #6 injector. I thought maybe it could be the injector driver, MH said he has seen that, will be starting her in about an hour, thanks for the help.
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020   #13
mmkkpro

Hello Paul, the #6 plug is dry and still looks brand new, the others are a little black indicating a rich condition, which for now is ok, because it let's me know they are getting fuel.
I just got her started with a new #6 injector, sounds good idling, going for a test drive now. Thank you for your knowledge and time, all you guys have been a massive help to me.
This past week driving home from work, I passed a 1995 L98 and it looked great. Seeing that car cruising down the road put a little more fire in my belly. Ya just don't see a lot of C4s where I live, so I'm more motivated to get interior and paint asap. Cool cars, thanks.
Old 06-13-2020   #14
32valvZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkpro View Post
Hello Paul, the #6 plug is dry and still looks brand new, the others are a little black indicating a rich condition, which for now is ok, because it let's me know they are getting fuel.
I just got her started with a new #6 injector, sounds good idling, going for a test drive now. Thank you for your knowledge and time, all you guys have been a massive help to me.
This past week driving home from work, I passed a 1995 L98 and it looked great. Seeing that car cruising down the road put a little more fire in my belly. Ya just don't see a lot of C4s where I live, so I'm more motivated to get interior and paint asap. Cool cars, thanks.
You saw a 95 LT-1...
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020   #15
mmkkpro

32valveZ,im a dummy, we stopped and talked, that car is a cream puff, it looked sharp riding up the road. I been working on mine for a year, finally got her on the road about a month ago. I reckon with mine being in the shop, working on it just didn't really realize how cool these cars actually look. Once I get the bugs out of this beast, I'm driving the wheels of her, I have driven her to work a couple times already, I'm proud of the Ole girl.
So just test drove her and no miss anymore. Feels smooth off idle and is pulling good. I'm going to take a longer cruise, check secondaries, and enjoy her a bit. Thank everyone for the help.
Old 06-13-2020   #16
32valvZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkpro View Post
32valveZ,im a dummy, we stopped and talked, that car is a cream puff, it looked sharp riding up the road. I been working on mine for a year, finally got her on the road about a month ago. I reckon with mine being in the shop, working on it just didn't really realize how cool these cars actually look. Once I get the bugs out of this beast, I'm driving the wheels of her, I have driven her to work a couple times already, I'm proud of the Ole girl.
So just test drove her and no miss anymore. Feels smooth off idle and is pulling good. I'm going to take a longer cruise, check secondaries, and enjoy her a bit. Thank everyone for the help.
No, not a dummy for making a mistake.... I probably made 5 by 7am this morning and I was up at 5:30...

Yea, the C4 has a timeless body style imo.... when you see one running down the road its always a treat, especially when its in great shape.

Around here, a ZR-1 sighting is like seeing a unicorn... I might have seen 2 others and Ive been here 26 years.

Just replaced my fuel pumps this morning. Seems throttle response is a bit sharper and shes running well.

[B]1990 #2815[/B]
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020   #17
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvZ View Post
No, not a dummy for making a mistake.... I probably made 5 by 7am this morning and I was up at 5:30...

Yea, the C4 has a timeless body style imo.... when you see one running down the road its always a treat, especially when its in great shape.

Around here, a ZR-1 sighting is like seeing a unicorn... I might have seen 2 others and Ive been here 26 years.

Just replaced my fuel pumps this morning. Seems throttle response is a bit sharper and shes running well.

Boy, I can tell ya... Ifn ya ever get down this-a-way where the altitude in IL in Chicagoland is ~600' AMSL, you'll think you gained a supercharger somewhere along the way!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020   #18
32valvZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Boy, I can tell ya... Ifn ya ever get down this-a-way where the altitude in IL in Chicagoland is ~600' AMSL, you'll think you gained a supercharger somewhere along the way!
Rub it in Paul.... I know the altitude is a power killer.... I used to live at the end of the world in Homestead Florida... There was a noticeable difference in from there to driving to upstate New York...
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
Shifter & C Beam Plates