ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-14-2012   #221
VetteMed

Default Re: Update on my hi-miler Z project

I met Kurt this morning (heck of a nice guy, BTW). We exchanged my old motor for his new one, and I was on my way back home.

Cam cover bolts removed, masked off for paint:

First coat of paint:

1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #222
VetteMed

Since I've been running with the Secondary Port Throttles deleted, I needed to perform the deletion procedure on the new heads (which definitely ARE new!). I took some pics of the process, for anyone considering doing the same on their own motor:

Here you can see the throttle plate, and I'm using a vise-grip pliers to hold the magnet end of a telescoping retrieval magnet. All of the materials (plate, shaft, screws) are ferrous, so the magnet is a little insurance policy against losing anything down the intake port. The screws are a T10 torx.

Once the screws are removed, and stuck to the magnet, the entire plate/loose screws assembly is carefully lifted up via the magnet.

Old 02-14-2012   #223
VetteMed

Next step is the removal of the throttle plate shaft and bearing assembly.

View of the shaft, in the intake port

View of the external portion of the shaft

A socket is fit over the threaded end of the shaft (I used a 5/8"). The key is that the hex end of the socket must be large enough to accomodate the bearing as it's pulled out of the cylinder head, yet small enough to fit flush on the flat surface surrounding the bearing.

A fender washer is then placed over the threaded end of the shaft that protrudes through the square end of the socket

The actuator arm nut is then threaded back on to the shaft, and carefully tightened against the washer, which will then pull the entire bearing assembly out of the head. A needlenose pliers, with a rag or towel as cushion, is used to grasp the throttle shaft to prevent rotation.

Done! 7 more to go!

Old 02-14-2012   #224
-=Jeff=-

Nice that motor looks pretty good.. Will you have it running this weekend?
LOL
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #225
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Nice that motor looks pretty good.. Will you have it running this weekend?
LOL
Might take me a little longer than that to get everything all squared away... Heck, it'll kill a whole day to finish painting the cam cover lettering
Old 02-14-2012   #226
GOLDCYLON

Great time for a stainless bolt upgrade.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #227
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Great time for a stainless bolt upgrade.
Yep, actually already had them on my old motor... transferring them to the new one after paint is done. =D>
Old 02-14-2012   #228
GOLDCYLON

Thumbs up Re: Update on my hi-miler Z project

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Yep, actually already had them on my old motor... transferring them to the new one after paint is done. =D>
Awesome bro don't hurry or rush your almost there. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #229
VetteMed

Daryll, no rushing here -- gonna possibly be held up for a while until I can obtain a tool to install the harmonic balancer on the crank. Anyone have one they'd be willing to lend or rent?
Old 02-14-2012   #230
VetteMed

The brotherhood comes to the rescue again -- Phil (Jagdpanzer) is going to lend me his installation tool! Thanks Phil!