ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-17-2013   #261
XfireZ51

Default Re: TOP END REFINISHING

I left the actuators on and used tie wraps. Worked just fine for months.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #262
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Uhhhhh.... Well... I don't know that I'd ever brush a gasket with a wire brush before reinstalling it; wiping it clean with brake cleaner on a rag, tho perhaps.

I DO spray one side of the gasket (the top side) with silicon spray as a release agent to facilitate future removals w/o damaging the gasket. I don't know that I'd use grease, but for sure you want the gasket to stay put, i.e., not squirm around, especially near coolant passages.

I've experience a few gaskets that slid around, e.g., this one was actually the IH/head gasket. Note the gasket has squeezed into the runner, and the coolant too. (This can be a problem with ported runners especially, as the space between coolant and the runner gets narrow.)

This happened within weeks of installation on a couple occasions (note the runners are significantly ported). I had been smearing a film of RTV on the gaskets - thinking that would "help". NOT!

I switched to Jerry's gaskets, and it was he (as I recall, Jerry?) that suggested than the gaskets be applied dry (read: NO RTV, etc to "help").

Now (especially with ported top end) I take great pains to get the metal surfaces absolutely dry and clean with (CRC - red can) brake cleaner and a razor blade, before installing (Jerry's gaskets) dry, except on the IH around the coolant port. There, around the coolant port only, I use some Permatex sealer (I forget the exact part number, but it is opaque, powder blue colored, bonds like glue and seals as well). That seems to have done the trick!

Well, you may get away with it (greasing the gasket(s)). But, if you develop a high idle later, you'll have a pretty good idea where to start looking.

Don't forget the BLUE LOCTITE on the threads before torquing the plenum/IH.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-18-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #263
Dynomite

Default Bolts, Washers and Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Don't forget the BLUE LOCTITE on the threads before torquing the plenum/IH.
Concur

Clean, dry bolts with a couple drops of blue Loctite on bottom threads of bolts (Injector Housing) and thin coat of Permatex on gaskets (except when I have a gasket NOT exposed to coolant in which case NOTHING on gasket). Red Loctite on everything inside the Front Cover. Blue Loctite on Oil Pan Bolts. Nothing on Head Gasket and nothing on Plenum gasket since I have TB/Plenum coolant locked.

Actually I do not use any Loctite on my SS Allen Head Bolts (Cam Covers or Plenum). I use Aluminum Stat-O-Seal Washers on all Allen Head SS Steel Bolts installed in the Plenum and Cam Covers (including the IH Coolant Manifolds).

Aluminum Stat-O-Seal washers with molded Buna-N inner seals are much more reliable than the more common steel stat-o-seals. If the rubber portion fails to make contact all around the port, the aluminum will act as a crush washer, providing a reliable metal to metal seal. Use them to seal screws, bolts or plumbing fittings. The Buna-N seal is resistant to petroleum fuels and oils.

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-18-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #264
XfireZ51

Why not just get a cover from Lgaff?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #265
Schrade

Memory / Calibration Module to Marc... (and maybe it WILL get there quicker )

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #266
Schrade

Any tricks to getting on a new UN-stretched serpentine belt? This Dayco is a bear here...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2013   #267
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Any tricks to getting on a new UN-stretched serpentine belt? This Dayco is a bear here...
Make sure you have the correct length belt

Then....having someone hold the tensioner open.....slip belt under water pump pulley (the back side of the belt) onto the smooth surface of the water pump pulley.

Actually I have an aluminum Water Pump pulley with NO lip. For your stock situation maybe the alternator is the final pulley.

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-18-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2013   #268
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Make sure you have the correct length belt

Then....having someone hold the tensioner open.....slip belt under water pump pulley (the back side of the belt) onto the smooth surface of the water pump pulley.

Actually I have an aluminum Water Pump pulley with NO lip. For your stock situation maybe the alternator is the final pulley.
Hmm... might NOT be the right belt here Cliff - sure is CLOSE fit tho'...

What IS spec length?

Advance's database has some L98 parts indexed as LT5...

ed.:
Dayco web info shows correct

This product is a fit for your:
1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 5.7L MFI DOHC 8cyl
Part Number: 5060805
Warranty: 3 YR

Old 11-18-2013   #269
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Hmm... might NOT be the right belt here Cliff - sure is CLOSE fit tho'...

What IS spec length?
That I am not sure on the length.......as I have several different lengths having installed different alternator, Power steering, and Water Pump pulleys from time to time. You should be able to get the belt started around the alternator pulley....it might be tight but slip it over one groove at a time.
Old 11-19-2013   #270
Bearly Flying

Schrade; With all the work you have done to date, why not get your intake ported, You have already eliminated the secondaries, Give Lgaff a shout and get your plenum ported, He does Great work....

In for a penny.... in for a Pound....
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote