ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-21-2018   #21
RussMcB

Default Re: ZR1 Track Day update (road course) - didn't go well :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Guy View Post
Thanks! And here’s one from when things go wrong.....

https://youtu.be/gw60JxU-zYQ

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Wow. Not fun too watch. Looks like you kept a cool head in spite of the challenges.

I had two thoughts while watching the vid. Whenever I have an issue on track (more than I want to admit), my first thought is to get as close to corner workers as possible. If you've ever watched a corner worker run to a car with a 10 lb. fire bottle, sometimes it looks like it will take them 10 minutes to get there.

I saw it was a challenge to get to the master switch. I've seen some versions that have a short rod to make it easier to reach, or a pull cable.

Thanks for sharing. Although it was a short session, the car sounded great, and the Glen is a really cool place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaclawski View Post
My expert opinion - It was probably the Master cylinder
Ha ha! :-)
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018   #22
Vette Guy

Thanks Russ! It will go back together with a pull cable as you depicted.
91 ZR-1 #2016
95 ZR-1 #21 DRM-600, LPE 385
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018   #23
cbaclawski

Update:

So since I already had the new master, I went ahead and installed it. I bench bled it using the syringe "reverse" bleed until I was satisfied that there was no air in it, then did it the traditional way with the tubes back to the reservoir.

I pressure bled all 4 wheels, going through about 2.5 bottles of motul 660 in the process, just to be sure I'd gotten a full flush. Then I had my wife pump the pedal with the engine running and did a traditional bleed at all 4 wheels. There was no air that I could see, and fluid flowed freely.

I just got back from a test drive, and the pedal felt better than it ever has, I heard the abs behind the seat self test at about 4 mph(though I couldn't feel anything in the pedal), and I'm pretty sure I was able to engage the abs with a full pedal mash from about 45 mph, though it only engaged after the car had already slowed substantially. I could definitely feel the abs modulate in the front driver wheel, but am not sure about the passenger side. I'm not sure if it engaged but the tire didn't skid, and it stopped straight - maybe because I was obviously sitting on the driver side I just couldn't feel it?

Does this sound about how it should?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!

Curt
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018   #24
Vette Guy

Sounds like you are good! Threshold breaking at 45 should be quick enough to detect a problem, but use the first track session to cautiously / gradually increase threshold braking speeds (assuming you are a threshold breaker!).

Just for grins, did you open up the MC? Clogged passage or cracked spring?

91 ZR-1 #2016
95 ZR-1 #21 DRM-600, LPE 385
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018   #25
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Guy View Post
Sounds like you are good! Threshold breaking at 45 should be quick enough to detect a problem, but use the first track session to cautiously / gradually increase threshold braking speeds (assuming you are a threshold breaker!).

Just for grins, did you open up the MC? Clogged passage or cracked spring?

I tried to open it(old master), but didn't know what I am doing and couldn't get it fully apart. I got all the hex bolts out, and the TINY spring at the tip(which seemed fine, but had so little "springiness" and was made of such flimsy metal, I can't imagine it did much, but couldn't figure out to get the piston out. I got the embedded c clip out on the end that attaches to the booster, but nothing slid out. I was getting brake fluid everywhere and eventually just put it down and moved on to another project...

I plan to bleed it one final time before tracking it again, and will be super careful at first. Might not be for a while. I still have some cosmetic work to do. I can only go once a month or so - less this time of year, and the e46 has been asking for a run...

Curt
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote