Topfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #22
Topfuel

Default Re: 1969 Twin Turbo Camaro with LT5

Old 04-07-2011   #23
todesengel

making great progress, can't wait to see it run!
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #24
A26B

Hey Mike,
Its been awhile since I last heard from you. You've made some serious progress on the engine and it looks fantastic. I like the Sherbring Racing on the cam covers.

Glad you made it here to the ZR-1 Net Registry forum. hope to see you soon.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #25
Polo-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topfuel View Post
we don't need no stinkin oil filters
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #26
Topfuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo-1 View Post
we don't need no stinkin oil filters
I bypassed the oil filter pad and machined the oil filter thermostat so it stays open all the time and not bypassing the oil cooler when the engine is cold. By doing this I can now use the cooler lines as a remote oil filter set up. I am using a canton oil filter for the filter on the engine now.
Old 09-04-2011   #27
LT-5 Music

Great project Mike.

Any updates?
Old 10-16-2011   #28
LGAFF

Reached out to Mike for a status, he is very busy with business..

"I have been working hard on my number match AAR cuda. But yes I have got the suspension done now and am mating the front frame with the rest of the car hope by end of year to post many more pictures. engine tottally done will update you more.
Thanks, Mike"
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #29
WB9MCW

SWEEEEEEET BUILD - That will be one "Heavy Chevy" when it is done
and I mean HEAVY is a good way!

The 1971 Chevelles got fresh front-end styling that included large Power-Beam single-unit headlights, a reworked grille and bumper, and integral park/signal/marker lights. New dual round taillights were integral with the back bumper. Because SS models suffered heavy insurance surcharges, Chevrolet introduced the "Heavy Chevy" at midyear available with any V8 engine except the 454, which was exclusive to SS models. The Heavy Chevy (RPO YF3) was ONLY available with the base Chevelle sport coupe (13437) and was primarily a dress up option and even it was limited to options available on the standard Chevelle sport coupe; no carpeting, no bucket seats, etc.

Along with those 19,293 Super Sports, Chevrolet sold another 6,727 "Heavy Chevy" Chevelles in 1971. Introduced midyear, the Heavy Chevy package, RPO YF3, was an obvious response to changing attitudes, as well as an attempt to sell performance imagery to those who probably couldn't afford to operate or insure one of Chevrolet's few surviving super cars. RPO YF3 was nothing more than window dressing, although buyers could equip a Heavy Chevy with any V-8, from the standard Chevelle's Turbo Fire 307 to the LS3 Turbo Jet 400 (the LS5 was not available). YF3 features included the Super Sport's domed hood with tie down pins; special body stripes; Heavy Chevy decals on the hood, fenders, and deck lid; black accente grille and headlight bezels; and 14x6 Rally wheets without trim rings. Instead of $1000, the approximate askig price for the stillborn 1971 LS6, RPO YF3 added slightly more than a hundered bucks to a 1971 Chevelle sticker. Whether that represented an attractive offer or not is your call.

I was reading your comments and just had to add some information about the 71 Heavy Chevy that I owned. I bought it new off the lot in 1971. I lived in Victoria, Texas and was one of four in the surrounding counties to have one. Of course the other three were guys. These were the only ones I every saw anywhere I went. I know there was one yellow with white stripes, one was red with black stripes, a silver one with black stripes and mine was the color of a brand new penny with white stripes. It was a 350 with three speed on the floor. All the basics that you mentioned, but I was told when I bought it that it had a heavy duty rear end suspension. I paid $3,200. right off the lot. I sure wish I had that car now. God I loved it, had a close friend of mine taught me how to speed shift it and I though I was in the Indy 500 everywhere I went. We lived in a small town and we did a lot of street racing. Great times were had in that car.

Mine was a 1972 Heavy Chevy, orange with black vinyl top, stripes were black. Had hood wires/pins. I paid $3400. Made 11 mpg!! Of course gas was 25cents a gallon. Was absolutely worthless in snow, rear-wheel drive and all. Supposedly had "posi-traction" but really didn't notice. I wish I had that car back too. But at 7 years of age (the car, I mean) at the time I sold it, it was worn out. It had about 105,000 miles on it.

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 10-16-2011 at 05:29 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #30
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60367

I thought this was pretty awesome. The alternator looks custom or something. This thing is going to be wicked cool.
Please share more details about the custom alternator.

This car is still the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. Makes me want to cry when I thing about my 68 Z/28 and how I would kill to have it today.

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see it completed.......maybe at the SEMA show.

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 10-17-2011 at 04:04 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote