ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-07-2014   #21
ghlkal

Default Re: NOS ZR-1 IR blocker windshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Even if $$ wasn't tight, (restoring the nose and painting the whole car) after seeing that "new" windshield at Marc's (Scottfab forgive me) I wouldn't have any qualms about going with a standard windshield. I'd avoid the possibility of future delam starting all over again - there was that much difference in appearance - and not have a heart attack when a rock "snapped" the glass while driving down the road.

I agree.

I replaced mine with a standard one also. If I paid "big bucks" for an "original" windshield, I would be afraid to drive it (to avoid the heart attack Paul referenced)
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #22
dredgeguy

Just food for thought. Just attended the Auto Show in Baltimore and met a guy who is reported to be the best around and does all kinds of high end window tinting. He suggested it would not be a problem to take a modern replacement windshield and put special tinting film on that in the end would mimic the special cutout. Just an idea but doubt many would be able to tell the difference after he is done. Any thoughts on this?

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #23
Hog

Thanks for the information gentlemen, quite the varied value from $0-$1500. I ran into a guy that I worked with years ago at a place that supplied a local GM plant with its glass. Thats what sparked my questions about the market value of the windshields when people know than a single unit available.

I have taken an interest in NLA parts, such as LT5 cams and ZR-1 IR windshields.
The IR windshield and Port Throttles/Power key are a couple things that made the ZR-1 special to the common person.

dredgeguy, I woulld think that a reproduction market would exist, but as all things would be dependant on the price.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #24
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
Just food for thought. Just attended the Auto Show in Baltimore and met a guy who is reported to be the best around and does all kinds of high end window tinting. He suggested it would not be a problem to take a modern replacement windshield and put special tinting film on that in the end would mimic the special cutout. Just an idea but doubt many would be able to tell the difference after he is done. Any thoughts on this?
That always struck me as a good approach. One could probably not tell it from original if the color and cutout were right. If you could get it tinted before it goes on that would be the best and probably the least expensive. -- Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #25
lisounds

I agree with getting the inside of the front windsheild tinted.
it would only cost about $200 to get tinted and look almost the same with no de-lamination
lisounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #26
HAWAIIZR-1

If some hypothetical windshields became available and I knew no delamination or future delamination guaranteed, I would pay up to $1K for one. I think the shipping to Hawaii is what would rule out the feasibility by cost of logistics and safely arriving in one piece for me. Right now my plan is to replace my nasty windshield with a standard C4 tinted one, but I am interested in a replacement windshield; I don't know why but I feel like without the factory windshield the car starts to lose its identity.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote