ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-07-2016   #21
WARP TEN

Default Re: ZR1 Pricing.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
I'm in the "drive it, mod it, and don't worry about resale" camp. Seeing as I bought it 22 years ago for almost exactly 1/2 the original sticker price. It's been a lot of fun, but never a great investment. So what?
It makes sweet noise, and is fun to drive. But I do wish that a 500hp.version wouldn't cost over half the value of the car now.

I love those precious time capsules of former glory like the 67'/435hp cars, and the L88's, but owning one of those would be a burden, and the very value would be an impediment to having fun on the road.

I think that way too many of these C4-ZR-1's were made to ever be a rare collector's item in my lifetime. I'll just fully enjoy the experience, anonymity, and driving fun it has to offer.
Well said, Bob. You precisely capture the sentiments of many of us here. While my 20-odd years ownership dates back to 1994 spread over two cars, I feel the same way. The owning and driving of these special cars is the point. I have not (and will not) make a profit on either of my cars. But I think one day ZR-1s will be viewed as the C2s are today, with the '90s revered like the '63s as the first of the breed, the '95s like '67s as the last year of the model run, and those in between very well loved and appreciated as well.

As to the cost of the 510 HP package like Marc's it is really only about $10k, so on some cars it is not half the car's value (I would hope). But its the other little things one might ask him to do "while he is there" that can add up to a much bigger chunk of the car's value. And as a seller one doesn't get one's money back. I had originally thought I might get half back but I have now priced my car around my cost before the upgrades. Its the market, but at some point the curves cross and it just makes more sense to keep enjoying it. I really think that one day in the far distant future the Haibeck 500/510 cars (and similar ones) will be viewed and valued like the Baldwin Motion, Yenko and others of that era. Just not in my lifetime. Oh well...Spring is just around the corner. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016   #22
Tripler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3rEVd_6wMY
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016   #23
Vette73

28,000 for 550 Horse.......I don't like the stripe at all.....Could you buy the Callaway back in 91 from the showroom? Or, did you have to send the car out to have that built.....??

I think it's a fair price none the less.....You figure a stock 91 would bring 21-23,000 at auction I'm guessing......Than again, it all depends on the crowd and how the car was marketed before hand...

I feel if the C4 ZR-1 had a little more styling to the eye to set it apart from the regular C-4 I think it would be a different story....If you look at the styling of let's say a C6 Z06 you see the hood scoop and I believe Rear brake vents on the rear quarters plus of course the different rims and larger tires.......I think for back in the day Chevy relied on the motor to sell the car, maybe not really the styling ...

Either way, it's a great time to snag one of these if your looking for the best bang for your buck...

Last edited by Vette73; 02-18-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016   #24
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Well, if you don't mind porting and phasing the re-ground cams yourself, and even if you let Marc or Dom or Pete do the dyno tuning, you can get close to 550 hp easily under $5k. What you end up with is respectable performance that drives as nice as granny's Buick around town, but will surprise the buhjeezuz out of many contemporary cars! All w/o loosing a bit of reliability or drivability! Amazing cars!! Amazing power plant!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #25
Z51JEFF

Dealers and auctions, the 2 markets that are the furthest from what the real world represents as far as pricing goes.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote