ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-25-2019   #21
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Amazon engine oil vs the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls7/Ls9 Test Engineer View Post
I will faithfully use Mobile-1 in everything that I own. (Even my lawn mower gets it...lol)
Trust me, I’ve seen all the tests and I’ve also seen real world LS engines with 300,000 very hard miles, that still had the original factory cross hatching in the cylinders and bearing coatings in as new condition after I tore them down while using only Mobil-1....

I’d rather not delve into the chemical properties of all the oils and what labels say.... I trust real world results. And guys, remember....When we’re talking about Zinc content, we are referring to PPM (parts per million) that’s like one small drop in a 10 gallon tank of oil.... just putting things in to perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
A rose is a rose by any other name...and so too is "MOBIL 1??? Not hardly!

Attached is a chart listing over 20 flavors of "Mobil 1". There are several with the 1200/1300 ppm levels of phosphorous and zinc (ZDDP) levels in them as the oil initially recommended for the LT5s at the time of the LT5's manufacture. But, even so, one needs to be aware of the fact additive content for any one product is NOT always held constant.

A word about projecting results from one architecture to another (i.e., pushrod vs. DOHC): The inertia of the valve trains is vastly different. In order to avoid valve train and valves from "floating" (i.e., loose constant contact between components - primarily at higher speeds), valve spring tensions that counter the direction and force of the lift motion must be sufficiently high to prevent float; keeping the integrity of the entire valve train at 100% at the maximum rpm. Inertia forces increase at the square of the speed (think: RPM) change rate.

The point is, there is sufficient differences in the dynamics between pushrod vs. DOHC to make direct extensions of data from one architecture to the other somewhat ambiguous.

Or, in other words, what will suffice for one doesn't automatically transfer to the other.

I've experienced a cam going flat in a 350/350 SBC filled with API "SM" oil. Changing the cam out in that SBC was a piece-o-cake cost and labor wise, compared to an LT5. The thought of scrimping on ZDDP because this or that oil manufacture's hype doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Anywayz... Just a thought: it might pay to look a little further than brand name when making a product decision, no?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mobil_1_product_guide.pdf (31.0 KB, 27 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #22
Ls7/Ls9 Test Engineer

Default Amazon engine oil vs the world

Spork,

I’ve seen your previous interactions and posts with other members and I won’t allow myself to get sucked into one of your meaningless argumentative rants. I’m done with this subject after this post.

With that being said, My opinion on the subject is only free advice from a friend, albeit free advice from someone with 20yrs+ experience on the exact application in question. (Engine testing and durability). The LS by all rights is the Grandson of the LT5 in many ways, especially in machine tolerance specifications materials and assembly methods.

There most likely is a better oil out there for each and every application, but 99.95% of us here will never have the ability to push any of these lubricants to their limits, regardless of the application. In my experience, Mobile-1 has proven to be an incredible product time after time.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Ls7/Ls9 Test Engineer; 02-25-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Ls7/Ls9 Test Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #23
A26B

Science/Engineering Rule: empirical trumps theoretical.

Redneck Rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Risk vs Reward Economics: Similar to PPM

My Choice: Mobil 1. I have no need to experiment with a different product.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #24
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
My Choice: Mobil 1. I have no need to experiment with a different product.
Which Mobil 1 do you use in the LT5?
Which Mobil 1 do you use in Other Vehicles? (I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in other vehicles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Science/Engineering Rule: empirical trumps theoretical. Depends on your Testing Conditions and Interpretations of Test Results (Testing can definitely prove or disprove Theory but Testing cannot disprove 2+2=4)

Redneck Rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Break Down Maintenance Policy

Risk vs Reward Economics: Similar to PPM Am not familiar with your Risk vs Reward Economics???
OK...….Here is what I use in the LT5/Transmission/Differential

Thanks Paul Workman for the Information on Mobil 1

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-25-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #25
FU

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic on all my cars-trucks.

On the 441 I used the AMO1 10/40. When Pete did a total teardown on the engine he asked what oil I was using ? I told him AMO1. Pete quickly replied that the engine despite having 6-7K miles on it the bearings looked like the engine was never fired up.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #26
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls7/Ls9 Test Engineer View Post
Spork,

I’ve seen your previous interactions and posts with other members and I won’t allow myself to get sucked into one of your meaningless argumentative rants. I’m done with this subject after this post.

With that being said, My opinion on the subject is only free advice from a friend, albeit free advice from someone with 20yrs+ experience on the exact application in question. (Engine testing and durability). The LS by all rights is the Grandson of the LT5 in many ways, especially in machine tolerance specifications materials and assembly methods.

There most likely is a better oil out there for each and every application, but 99.95% of us here will never have the ability to push any of these lubricants to their limits, regardless of the application. In my experience, Mobile-1 has proven to be an incredible product time after time.
Paul Workman said the exact same thing I did, immediately after I said it, so might as well direct this comment to him as well. But I'm only speaking from the standpoint of someone who is an engineer in a facility that builds nothing but piston engines all day every day for OEM's, aftermarket, and performance applications.

The LS architecture is nothing like the LT5. Any comparison between oil performance in the two is more anecdotal than anything.

I lost interest in your post when you implied that because something is in oil in PPM it's not important. I'm curious what kind of engineering degree you hold? I don't personally know one single degree holding engineer that would make a comment like that.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #27
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Thanks Paul Workman for the Information on Mobil 1

So, are all of these "acceptable" for 99% of us here (except the Racing 4T)?

I chuckled to myself when I first assumed our cars were "domestic", then reconsidered when I remembered where the engines were built and designed. :-)
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #28
Mystic ZR-1

...assumed our cars were “Domestic”?
It doesn’t get any more domestic than Stillwater OK...

Last edited by Mystic ZR-1; 02-25-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #29
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Which Mobil 1 do you use in the LT5?
My LT5 is a 415 Stroker. I use Mobil 1 15W-50

Quote:
Which Mobil 1 do you use in Other Vehicles? (I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in other vehicles).
For my other (daily drivers) I use Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 for cold weather changes & 10W-30 for warm weather

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 for my 2016 Z51 Stingray Corvette.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #30
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post

...assumed our cars were “Domestic”?
It doesn’t get any more domestic than Stillwater OK...
Hmm. For some reason I thought the engines were were built in Canada.

Jeez. I'm going to get kicked off this forum. :-)
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote