ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 03-10-2017   #21
WVZR-1

Default Re: 90 ZR-1 #2273 - To be rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
Anyone know where to find a bolt for the battery panel hinge?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The GM part# for that screw for earlier years is 12338098 and is a T30. I don't know that in later years this was changed to a HEX or not. I might prefer a HEX and maybe I actually changed mine to a HEX when I reassembled. I would think you could do these maybe "everywhere" the dimensions are/were quite popular in all foreign and domestic productions. The spinning washer is certainly desired!

It's an M6.3 X 1.81 x 25 with a "spinning washer"

Another option that might work better considering location is changing the u-nut used to a more conventional M6X1.0 thread and then use a conventional Metric screw. I would think that many of the auto brands sold in ***Sweden use maybe the M6.3 X 1.81 specification but the M6 X 1.0 I'd think for sure. You want the "spinning washer".

What model VW or BMW/AUDI are sold there? Maybe I can scrounge an OEM part number for you.

I'll email you some information.

*** OOPS - Norway

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-10-2017 at 09:32 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #22
S.hafsmo

Thanks! I've replied to your e-mail.
Ordered 20 pcs of ebay.

Also added a couple words on the Corvette America leather seat covers in an earlier post, in case anyone were to consider these.
Old 04-22-2017   #23
S.hafsmo

New wheels received from Steve Jasik!

I'm thinking it'll look more appropriate than the BMW winter rims.

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 04-22-2017 at 04:18 AM.
S.hafsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #24
XfireZ51

I had heard that BMW wheels would fit.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017   #25
S.hafsmo

BMW wheels fit rather well. You just need hubcentric rings and "wobble nuts". Not something I'd take to the track though.

Next issue was a leaky check-valve on the secondaries, so the plenum was pulled. Wouldn't say it's any harder to do than any other plenum removal job (on euro cars, that is).
It didn't look that bad below, but definitely in need of some cleaning. The crankcase hoses were hard as rocks, but remaining hoses were not bad at all.

Removed the starter for overhaul, and to clean the drain.

I assume these are the Accel 150821 injectors? They are marked 01D109B and 21 lb/hr.
Old 05-08-2017   #26
S.hafsmo

Here's the starter overhaul kit, ordered at advice from WVZR-1.
Part number ND-17-1103

It does contain pretty much all you'll need to service the starter, but does not contain the bearings on the crank gear.

Didn't look all that bad inside,

Note, there was nothing wrong with the starter before the service. Just preventive maintenance. Started right up when it all was assembled again.

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 05-08-2017 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2017   #27
S.hafsmo

Did some TB cleaning as well, where I found no DAG on the sealing surfaces, which might be the cause of my idle issues.

And this is just to illustrate the sad/cramped surroundings of my miniature garage. And of course because Z's are rather nice to look at and it deserves a picture.

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 05-08-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2017   #28
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Nothing like "hands-on" to learn a new (different) vehicle! (Mine isn't named after the Phoenix bird for nothing!) Looks like your ol gal is in good, caring hands now.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-20-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #29
S.hafsmo

Thanks Paul. I saw that news clip from the C4 gathering, pretty neat!

The car's currently wrapped up with all new vacuum hoses/actuators/check-valves, as well as nice, new red spark plug wires (it came with gray ones). Thanks to Jerry's Gaskets and White Racing for supplying the parts.
I even got the mandatory carter bling.

The car is now finally approved, and I'm just waiting for my new shiny plates to arrive. About time, as it hasn't been on the road (approved) since 2013.

That doesn't mean the car's finished though. As with all other US car's I've had, the door hinges sag a bit, so I took them of to replace hinge pin/bushings.

Took one hinge at the time, with the door closed to avoid it moving. I did however re-adjust the door afterwards, as it wasn't aligned properly. Since the OEM hinge pins are pressed flat after assembly, the new ones were just installed with these toothed retainer washers you can glimpse here.

The lower hinge still had some axial play after replacing pin/bushes (approx. 1mm), so I'm considering to replace the whole hinge if I can find a new one somewhere. Truth be told, I'm not really satisfied with how tight the new hinge/bushes were at all. These came from Corvette Central. But as I do not have any other to compare with, I can't tell whether they're within spec.

Old 05-20-2017   #30
S.hafsmo

I also received a new set of discs for my Big Red Porsche brake kit (T295) from Movit. which unfortunately also led to the disappointing discovery that these do not really fit under the Sawblades I just had refurbished. They fit neatly inside the original 90 wheels, but needs an additional 1/4" spacer to clear with the sawblades.

New gaskets recently arrived from Wilcox, but I'm not completely convinced on these yet. The rear hatch rubber gaskets without glued corners is a truly great product, but as I replaced the ones above the doors, attached to the roof, I noticed that the old had these plastic reinforcements molded into them, while the new gaskets do not. The still seal quite well, but I'm not convinced on the longevity.

Now I'm unfortunately back at work in Angola, so not much will happen in the garage for the upcoming 5-6 weeks.

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 05-20-2017 at 05:52 PM.