ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 12-29-2008   #21
8upZR1

Default Re: Group Buy Baer brakes

I am wondering what kind of performance advantage a ZR1 would have with the MOVIT brakes as opposed to the BAER 6pot. Is it just less fade on the track after 50 laps? Would there be any difference for 2 ZR1's street racing? I have never seen the MOVIT brakes in person but I am quite familiar with BAER's 6pot and also PORSCHE's all Ceramic setup. Very nice brakes. I thought the 3Gs for BAER 6 pot was actually a bargain when you consider what good brakes go for.
8upZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #22
TFENT

Quote:
8upZR1I am wondering what kind of performance advantage a ZR1 would have with the MOVIT brakes as opposed to the BAER 6pot. Is it just less fade on the track after 50 laps? Would there be any difference for 2 ZR1's street racing? I have never seen the MOVIT brakes in person but I am quite familiar with 6pot and also PORSCHE's all Ceramic setup. Very nice brakes. I thought the 3Gs for BAER 6 pot was actually a bargain when you consider what good brakes go for.
There are numerous difference between systems, but I do not want the Admins to think I hijacked this post to advertise. It was not my intent. If they are ok with me explaining it, I will.

Last edited by TFENT; 12-29-2008 at 06:35 PM.
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #23
Jeffvette

Go for it.
Old 12-30-2008   #24
WB9MCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
Thanks, I saw your post on CF saying to come over here.
Used to post over here years ago but can't remember my old username?
Bout time we see ya at the Zoo!!!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #25
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
Why would someone put $25,000 brakes on a $25,000 ZR-1?
I think they are $12,500 brakes, unless you'd want them front and rear? It does seem like the cost for that slight extra edge is steep, but then that's usually how it goes. That last bit is always the most expensive.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #26
TFENT

Jeff:

Thank you for allowing me to explain some of the simpler differences between the MovIt system and other systems on the market.

There are a lot of different applications out there for different usages in the brake market. MovIt’s position in the market is clearly the highest end of brake products available, thus it comes at a premium. Through the use of ONLY the finest materials available along with the finest engineering in the world. MovIt is a small company located in the southwestern part of Germany and has 18 employees. MovIt only manufactures approximately 2000-2500 brake kits a year for world wide distribution. The brakes are made to order and custom designed and engineered for the individual. We even have our own foundry for the manufacturing of our rotors. Every piece of a MovIt system is made in house by a MovIt employee. Nothing MovIt is sub-contracted or manufactured outside of the MovIt Compound. Another important reason the MovIt Brake Systems are the most expensive. There are very strict quality controls in place where tolerances are measured in tenth of a mm. Each of the machinists is licensed by the country of Germany as a certified Machinist and they all have a minimum of a 6 year degree in mechanical engineering.

Calipers
MOVIT calipers with its 6-piston BILLET design, have bigger pistons (13 sets of custom designed configurations based on application), longer pads (108 cm²), are BILLET CNC machined from the highest strength 7075 aluminum and are T6 heat treated.

The caliper is much stronger than others and will not loose its strength even under high temperatures like cast calipers. The aluminum which is used in cast calipers (alsi5 or alsi7) has a strength factor of approximately 31,915.4-34,816.8 PSI. With an additional heat treatment this strength can be raised to approximately 42,070.3 PSI. The reason why most manufacturers use heat treated aluminum is simply the price. The material used for each "MOV’IT BILLET-CALIPER" has a strength factor of approximately 79,788.5-82,689.9 PSI. So, the possibility to expand under growing pressure and heat is totally eliminated. CNC machined calipers need less space than cast calipers that can be used with a bigger disc under the same rim then the cast calipers. The material and the extremely strong and "wide" design of the "MOV’IT BILLET-Calipers" means the pressure to the pad is applied evenly even under extreme pressure, greater then 21,754.5 PSI. The heat is transferred to the maximum possible surface area, the temperature stays lower and the durability of all parts is higher. Cast calipers do not compress the pads evenly to the rotor when they expand under higher pressure or temperature. So, the rotor is not evenly heated and the pads wear faster and unevenly. A loss of the already lower braking force of cast calipers and vibrations under higher temperatures due to the unequal heated rotor is the result.

Pads
The use of larger pads guarantee lower temperatures and less wear to the discs and pads then the use of smaller pads used by other manufactures. MOVIT pads also feature a unique "ANTI-NOISE" system which suppresses any kind of squealing during braking. Designed and created for comfortable silent street cars.

Brackets
MOVIT brackets are CNC machined from a high grade steel compound (1.7131). "Form follows function", a closer look at the brackets it is easily visible that MOVIT makes the strongest but lightest design brackets. They should not only fit perfect, but also be extremely strong and designed with no sharp edges. Since the brackets are made from high grade steel compound, they last forever.
Other brake manufactures offer aluminum brackets, with threads cut into the aluminum. This is dangerous, since aluminum will oxidize and age, meaning that it can crack. Also, the thread cut into the aluminum will not last long, if an unskilled person tries to tighten the bolt that holds the caliper. This thread will easily wear or be stripped, especially when a securing compound as Loctite or similar used. As always, MOVIT goal is lifetime and easy use. Since we have to TÃœV-approve our brake kits, this is another reason why we use high grade steel compound.

Rotors

Steel
Most of the manufactures use friction ring with a "normal" straight finned ventilation system, a 56-60 mm friction ring height, and drilled holes (5-6 mm). The rotors are not for a long term trouble free use on heavy and/or fast street vehicles. Further more, the holes will crack almost immediately since they are too big and positioned too close to the outer edge of the rotors. It is like drilling holes in a steel support beam. So instead other manufactures offer only "plain" or "slotted" discs, but the disadvantage of those configurations is poor responsiveness in inclement weather conditions.

MOVIT uses friction rings with a special double ventilation system which allows them to run 300% cooler then most rotors on the market. The MovIt rotors have an 80-100% larger cooling surface, 68 mm friction ring height and pre-cast holes that are 4 mm in diameter. This means the MovIt rotors generates far lower temperatures since the cooling surface is larger (friction ring) and the larger pads more efficiently transfers the heat to a larger friction surface. This results in a higher heat capacities and faster heat dissipation which translates into longer life expectancy of both pads and rotors.

The rotors themselves are not drilled into. They are cast holes which makes them much stronger. Lastly the holes are not randomly placed on the rotor they are intelligently placed in the center of the cooling fins to maximize rotor strength while the calipers are compressing the rotor. Thus resisting cracks from forming on the edges of the holes. MOVIT rotors are simply designed and created for the fastest performance demanding street/race vehicles.

CER Ceramic Rotors

Explanation of MOV’IT-CER ceramic rotor:
Polyacronitrile fiber sheets are needled together to create a PANOX pre-form. The future rotors are cut out of this pre-form. These "raw" discs are carbonized at >1500°C to convert the Polyacronitrile fibers to carbon fibers. These carbonized rotors are then densified during a 14 day chemical vapor infiltration process. The rotors are then carbon-carbon. The rotors are then machined to the final geometry. Some faces are machined over thickness to allow for future machining. Now high rate silicon infiltration coverts the carbon-carbon rotors to a carbon silicon carbide rotor within approx. 16 hours.
finally, all faces are machined to the given tolerances and dimensions using polycrystalline diamond machine tooling which is required due to the hardness of the material. Finally, a strict x-ray scan and porosity check to ensure the same density throughout the entire rotor.

Advantages of the MOV’IT-CER rotor ceramic rotor over a cast iron rotor:
- Weight
- Lifetime
- Cost
The first improvement of a MOV’IT-CER rotor over the cast iron rotors is the reduced weight. The weight is reduced by approx. 50% over a same size cast iron rotor (more is not realistic although others claim). So this means a saving of between 4 and 8 kgs. (!) on each corner of the car. As a result, the car feels as if it is "lighter", responds better to the throttle and handles amazingly better. to give an example: driving over a bump on a highway at 70 mph, this bump can be heard AND felt in your feet and in the seat. If you take off 6 kg from each wheel, you will still "hear" the bump, but you hardly feel it anymore since the wheel is so much lighter and follows to the road much quicker. The next important advantage is the much quicker steering response. The car seems to "eat" the corners, turning right or left is much "lighter" and the car turns in the desired direction much quicker and more accurately.

These are the advantages that you really feel; you don’t have to measure this. Many others claim a better gas mileage, which is certainly the case, but who checks the 100% accurate gas mileage of a sports- or racecar?

The second important advantage is the lifetime.
A MOV’IT-CER rotor is extremely strong. Only polycrystalline diamond machine tooling is able to machine the surface of this rotor. The wear of this rotor is much less than the wear of a cast iron rotor. While replacing several cast iron rotors, the MOV’IT CER rotor can be left on the car and just the pads will ever need to be replaced. One big advantage of the MOV’IT-CER rotor compared to other ceramic rotors is the many times higher lifetime of the MOV’IT-CER rotor. The MOV’IT-CER rotor is made in a completely different way than all other ceramic rotors. a MOV’IT-CER rotor starts his life as Polyacronitrile laminar fiber sheets, which are needled together in way that the fibers are oriented only in two directions (0 & 90°). This long fiber structure is kept for the entire production process until the rotor is finished.
As a result, the thermal conductivity and the thermal capacity of the MOV’IT-CER rotor are much higher compared to ceramic rotors that are used on some production cars these days. Those rotors are made out of a chopped fiber compound, so the fibers are much shorter which results in a bad thermal conductivity and poor thermal capacity. Of course the strength of those rotors is also reduced due to the lower material integrity. Since the structure of the MOV’IT-CER rotor is the same throughout the entire rotor, the lifetime is several times higher than the lifetime of the chopped fiber version. The MOV’IT-CER rotor can be used all the way down until the fading resistance and / or pedal travel is no longer satisfying. This will take years of hard use and thousands of miles. So talking serious, as long as you want to have the MOV’IT-CER rotor on whatever car, you only buy it once and take it from one car into the next. Just change the hats and caliper supports. In our opinion, this is one big advantage of the MOV’IT-CER rotor over the chopped fiber production rotors found on some production cars produced these days since those have to be replaced once the 0.5 mm thick friction layer is worn.
Another important advantage of the MOV’IT-CER rotor is the much faster cooling compared to other ceramic rotors. The long fiber structure transfers the heat throughout the entire rotor quicker and thus dissipates the heat much quicker than a rotor with short chopped fibers that cannot transfer the heat. As a result of this highly sophisticated and intelligent design of the MOV’IT-CER rotor, the cost of the complete brake at the end of the day is much lower than the cost for normal, cast iron rotors. The lifetime is many times higher, so one invests money only once to enjoy many years along with the benefits of reduced weight, improved stopping AND handling of your car.

In conclusion let me say this. The MovIt system is not needed by all applications. It is engineered, designed, and manufactured for the most serious enthusiasts. When nothing but the best will do. A simple motorcycle caliper and rotor will perform fairly well when used once. But not over, and over, and over again. This is where the MovIt system performs best. Weather it is on a track or just spirited street driving from one off ramp to another.

The long life of a MovIt system also means that it can be moved from one vehicle to another by simply contacting MovIt to have new brackets and hats made for the system to adapt it to the new vehicle. This makes a MovIt Brake System an investment in you. Not just the vehicle.

Below are just a few photos of the MovIt Compound and some Corvette applications plus some dynamics images of the different parts. I want to thank Jeff for allowing us to post this information here on the ZR1 Registry as both the owner of MovIt in Germany and myself are ZR1 owners and enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2009   #27
TFENT

Photos part 2