ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-18-2012   #21
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabert View Post
I need new tires as well. I've got what I feel is the best tip from Mark Haibeck, he recommends the Nitto's as well. I'd like to go the Michelin route; I've always had good luck with them. I do agree, you get what you pay for. My problem, I have no traction, of course it is due to older Yokohama Tires. I'm in serious negotiations with HRE Wheels for a set of 18" 565R or the P45S, both killer wheels. So for now I'm on the fence post until I make that decision. I've lowered the car, it now needs a slightly bigger wheel to compliment the look. For me the biggest question that I'd like answered is Traction? What tire will give me the best traction? Again Mark suggested the Nittos's to get me there. Anyone else have thoughts on that end? I'm not concerned about wear or life of the tire, or rain (I never drive it in inclement weather); I put about 2k on the car per year.
Not sure which Nittos Marc recommended, but like VetteMed said the 555s are awesome and I can't believe the price too. I love them and the traction is awesome in dry and wet. Much better than my Michelin Pilots.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #22
gtabert

Phil, thanks for sharing the photo, it does look awesome! Helped me make up my mind, 19's in the rear / 18's in the front is the way to go.

FYI - Mark had recommended the Nitto 555's. I had my car in his shop last spring for coil over work. I trust him immensely and value his opinion on anything ZR-1! Great guy, 100% honesty all the way and very fair.
[FONT=Arial]'95 ZR-1 #143[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Comp. Yellow / Black[/FONT]
gtabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #23
gtabert

Phil - what width 18's / 19's are you running for these tires?
[FONT=Arial]'95 ZR-1 #143[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Comp. Yellow / Black[/FONT]
gtabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #24
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabert View Post
Phil - what width 18's / 19's are you running for these tires?
10" and 12"
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #25
Dmod81

I got Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position tires for my C6 Z06 wheels when I got them. Stock Z06 sizes. Love them.
Dmod81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #26
C4Fanatic

I went with the Nitto NT555...on my second set on the rear...
C4Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #27
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Fanatic View Post
I went with the Nitto NT555...on my second set on the rear...

You too? Funny how the rears always wear out first
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #28
mike100

I got a fast ride in a 91 ZR with the Nittos- very sticky.

I have had two different c4's with the GY GS-D3's. also very good all around. Maybe B+ in absolute adhesion, but they handle weather much better should you encounter some. I also think they are fairly safe down to 45 degrees where as other more summer oriented rubber isn't as soft when it gets cool out.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #29
mgg

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Khumo Xs or the BFG Kdw's. These tires offer excellnt performance for the dollar. I have owned both and both provided fantastic grip. Do they have their shortcomings? I am sure as the Khumos ar not rated well in the rain and are extremely soft to provide exceleent warm weather traction and the BFG's are known to gett noisy after they are worn quite a bit, however as most ZR-1 owners drive their cars both of these factors may not play an important role. Now don't get me wrong , the Michelins are great tires and if you can afford them then buy them. If you are looking for a tire with excellent performance but may not offer everything the MIchelin has at a significantly lower price , these two that I have mentioned would be hard to beat. Several 1.93 60 ft. times with the BFGs suggests they have pretty good grip for a street tire. The good news is that there are some choices. I just forgot, the BFGs I have are 18s and the Khumos were 17s. I believe both tires aree available in 17 s though. Good luck. New tires are always GREAT!!
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #30
RICKYRJ1

I run PS2 & GY Z06 runcraps.. Love the PS'2 GY suck but they came with the rims. I'm looking to upgrade them this year
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote