ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-01-2008   #21
jonszr1

Default Re: Anyone with StainlessWorks headers

glad to see that you are working with them to make this a better deal.and thankyou for asking for our input .once again i did not mean to come off like i was bitching , just sharing to make things better . its nice that this company supports our cars as they do , for that i am very thankfull
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #22
zr1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
i dont mean to differ with the above , but there was no way my o2 sensor wire was modified in any way not the harness it was connected to or the brand new o2 sensor i bought for the install . mine was 8 inches to short .i even cked the wiring on both cars . unless they made it longer on the years after 92? i am just stating what i found and sharing in the hopes future sets can be improved upon . if we dont share it cant be made better and thats all i would like to see .
Understand and didn't mean to imply that these could be the only reasons for a short wire. We just haven't seen it on a regular basis so if others have had this issue we want to know. Maybe it is a particular year?

We will be doing an install on a '90 soon at SW so we'll see if any of these issues come up.

Thanks!
NCM Lifetime Member
zr1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #23
zr1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post
Hey there Dave, yes there are some conditions that can cause a "hotter" exhaust, but this isn't the case on this particular vehicle. That type of mis-calibration will also cause a meltdown of the cats and 02's themselves but you've really got to be pretty far off cal for this to occur. After all, the ECM will also have a say in the mixture control etc.

I'm not one to argue with good 'ol Mom , but I've been around just as long and in fact, this is what we do (since 1990). Contrary to the statement above, this is NOT the same hose that GM uses. GM has uses a somewhat flexible METAL line and this is a RUBBER hose that SW said was actually a Napa heater hose. To say there is "only one reason this hose would melt" is a pretty strong statement to make, and not true in this case. Only "one" reasons are pretty rare in today's world anyway. Besides, what happens to one vehicle isn't necessarily the "norm" for all vehicles.

I'm not sure if a different type of provision is used on their different styles, but in the case of the short type system, the factory EGR tube isn't long enough. This hose will not hold up to exhaust gas and this was recognized by Jim at SW. He suggested a longer metal extension and I agreed. We are trying to figure out how to get a mockup.

In any case, the purpose of my post was to gather information and share our first experience with the SW product. As with any new venture, there are certainly some growing pains which must be gone through. My goal is by working together, we can benefit many here on the list, like we have since the beginning.

Thanks for all your input, we'll keep you posted.

jvd in bg

I agree the goal here is to make the best product possible so we need to recognize and correct any real issues.

Any issues found need to be well documented and pictures help a great deal in quickly resolving these problems.

I will work closely with SW to resolve any problems we have with installations and will report them here.

Thanks!
NCM Lifetime Member
Old 10-01-2008   #24
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1mom View Post
Just so everyone knows we have over 30 of these systems installed on ZR-1's.
Dave were they all fitted with EGR?

Quote:
First the EGR hose is the same one that GM uses.
GM on the right, SW on the left.

Old 10-01-2008   #25
Jeffvette

Quote:
Understand and didn't mean to imply that these could be the only reasons for a short wire. We just haven't seen it on a regular basis so if others have had this issue we want to know. Maybe it is a particular year?

We will be doing an install on a '90 soon at SW so we'll see if any of these issues come up.

Thanks!

The passenger side O2 harness on 90-92 comes from the front side of the motor. In 93, GM routed it coming down from the back side of the block.
Old 10-01-2008   #26
GOLDCYLON

Quote:

Thanks!

Mom this being the case they will need a pair of O2 extender harnesses. As stated by several posters the 90-92s are differnet as a part of the solid cat movement vs the 93-95 crowd.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #27
jonszr1

no wonder they didnt have a problem with the first install on the o2 , so its just the 90-92 that need an extention . sure is fun getting to the passenger side connector on both my 90-92
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #28
Pete

Look you guys are knit picking at least on the O2 wires,simple fix.
JVD on the pipes, you should try fitting the other brand of headers made for our cars, Oh wait there isn't anyone else.

Just be glad somebody makes headers for our cars.

JVD just help fix the pipe problems with SW for future ZR-1 installers.

I don't know how the EGR stuff is, can you weld stainless AN ends with a stainless flex pipe
Sometimes we have to think outside the box.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage

Last edited by Pete; 10-01-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #29
LGNDLT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post
We use the OEM seal, little rubber thingymobobber. Are they discontinued? I remember back in '95 when a guy at the plant told me they were and sent me a whole bag full.....they're 'round here somewhere....
jvd in bg

Hi Jim.
Sorry to pester you with such a little thing... If/When you find the dipstick tube seal can I purchase one? My SW headers are still boxed but DO need to be installed. If you run across them and are willing to part with one (I suspect others are interested also), I would be grateful for an email with paypal or other payment info. It would be nice to go in with a new seal. Not in a hurry just hoping to connect, so to speak, at some point. Thanks. John R.Sullivan john.sullivan@protective.com 847-275-4841
LGNDLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #30
zr1mom

So a further update, I spoke with the man himself Marc Haibeck who has installed many of these. Also spoke with SW.

1. O2 Sensors:

For '90 -92 ZR-1's the DRIVERS side wire will reach however you have to do the following. There is a black plastic sheath that has extra wire inside of it. If you cut open this sheath you can pull out enough wire to reach.

For '93 - '95 ZR-1's the DRIVERS side cable is long enough.

For '90 - '92 ZR-1's the PASSENGER side cable is too short and you need an 18" extension. For those that need it SW will supply you one for free.

For '93 - '95 ZR-1's the PASSENGER side cable is long enough.

So what it all comes down to is for the 405hp ZR-1's you're all set. For the 375hp ZR-1's you need an O2 extension for the right side.

Also important you tie wrap the cables as to not touch the headers.

One other note for "93 - "95 owners if you want longer cables you can buy the '90-'92 O2 sensors which will work and they have longer cables then the '93-'95 O2 sensors.

2. EGR extension hose:

First only the '93 to '95 ZR-1's even need this for emissions. If you don't need to pass emissions in your state you don't need it and can program the memcal to turn it off.

On the hose itself SW has been using this hose for years on many other models, like mustangs, camaros, etc with no issues.

3. Oil drip stick:

Still looking into this. I need more info, pictures etc. Once SW does the install for the '90 we'll know more as well.

Thanks!
NCM Lifetime Member