ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-31-2013   #31
WVZR-1

Default Re: Locobob's Interior Mod Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
My steering wheel hub kit finally showed up. I decided to go with the NRG quick release hub - figured being able to quickly remove the steering wheel will come in handy at times. Here is the NRG quick release and "short" hub, together they are 4in tall, adding the Momo wheel the whole assembly is about 5 1/2 which should put it fairly close to where the stock wheel sits. If I decide I want to come out further I think I will just buy a spacer which mounts between the wheel and the quick release - the spacer will come off with the wheel and a part of the quick release as a single unit.
How does the diameter of the hub and release compare to the diameter of the steering column ignition switch housing?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #32
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
Hidden V1 display. It will fit.......

Before I had all the interior pieces Am HC carbon fiber covered. Too shiny
for me to photograph
Looks pretty clean Ted, only thing I don't like about putting the remote down there is that it is too far out of line of sight. I didn't know that you did the Am HC, how do you like it? Hopefully it wears well.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #33
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
How does the diameter of the hub and release compare to the diameter of the steering column ignition switch housing?
They appear to be pretty close, I will get some pics once I get it installed.

Old 10-31-2013   #34
Locobob

So today I decided to switch gears and work on the steering wheel install. The Momo instructions kind of suck and NRG doesn't even give you any. Anyhow I was looking at all this stuff and couldn't figure out where everything went so I called Crowder and got things cleared up real fast... bottom line is that you don't use all the stuff, some of it is for different applications.

Here is the steering wheel torn down - just need to go rent a puller. It was pretty easy to get it to this point, well once I figured out that the two screws holding the cover on were T30's grrrr hard to see down in those screw holes. I will probably just cut the airbag wire at the connector under the dash and pull the whole thing out from the front so it doesn't get tangled up with stuff. The shaft nut is a 13/16, couldn't find that socket in my tool box and was about to add it to my shopping list.... then I realized that 13/16 is a spark plug size... Duh.

Here is the stuff that you do NOT need when putting a Momo Commando wheel on a NRG quick release.

Base of the quick release and short hub. The ground wire comes off the QR and connects to the hub wire which just grounds through the hub to the shaft. Yellow (pos) wire will snake through the hub opening and connect to the factory horn wire.

Old 10-31-2013   #35
Locobob

Quick release hub showing the contacts for the horn.

This split ring is the adapter for fitting the Momo horn button to the NRG QR, it just slips down inside the QR and allows the tabs on the horn button to latch on to something. The horn wiring is pretty obvious here... only problem is that both grounds have a male spade so will need to put a female connector on the wire side.

Here the adapter ring is installed.

Old 10-31-2013   #36
WVZR-1

Quote:
I will probably just cut the airbag wire at the connector under the dash and pull the whole thing out from the front so it doesn't get tangled up with stuff.
I don't believe you should have issues with the excess wire and the airbag connector at the top of the column(you should be able to just coil it and tie it) and you might actually need that for the canceling cam to sync with BUT if you do want to or need to do something with the column harness there should be no reason to cut it. It should "fish" up the column easily for removal. Did you get a 2 Ohm resistor yet to defeat the SIR light in the DIC or did you just remove the bulb?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-31-2013 at 06:55 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #37
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
love that wheel! looking to go "mod red" in my 95 ZR-1 and this is the bomb. kinda hate giving up the air bag but like Ron White says

"make sure you hit something hard, I don't want to limp away from this"

the way I drive the air bag isn't gonna make much difference!

also thinking of "doing away" with the valet key switch and just use a plain old c4 piece. I don't have secondaries and can just throw it behind the valence piece.

let me know how well the carbon fiber wrap works. like to try that too.
Nifty work on the toggle switches!

But I surely gotta' dis-agree with Mr. White on his air bag rationale; I hit one in a head-on - 55-0 in 0, NO EXAGGERATION, ALL ON THE POLICE REPORT, AND I LIMP, FOR LIFE (about 14.5 G's negative). Unlike the drinker tho', who's been recycled for 7 years now...

Just make sure you're @ 55+.......
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #38
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I don't believe you should have issues with the excess wire and the airbag connector at the top of the column(you should be able to just coil it and tie it) and you might actually need that for the canceling cam to sync with BUT if you do want to or need to do something with the column harness there should be no reason to cut it. It should "fish" up the column easily for removal. Did you get a 2 Ohm resistor yet to defeat the SIR light in the DIC or did you just remove the bulb?
Well there might be room, can't see yet. I just got the wheel off and now I'm trying to figure out how the SIR coil comes out. Is there any advantage to using a resistor? I have the DIC off so pulling the bulb seems like the easiest route if one is as good as the other.

Old 10-31-2013   #39
Locobob

Aha... little spring clip around the shaft I didn't notice. Here is the coil pulled out, not really seeing any way to remove this thing without cutting the connector off the wire under the dash (visible in background) and then pulling it out through the column.

Old 11-01-2013   #40
tf95ZR1

Quote:
Looks pretty clean Ted, only thing I don't like about putting the remote down there is that it is too far out of line of sight. I didn't know that you did the Am HC, how do you like it? Hopefully it wears well.
I turn the V1 sound up all the way, so when it goes off it scares the *)@# out of me and I lift off the gas.
Then I look down to see if the source is in front of me or behind. The bigger issue is where to put the main unit.
It gets too hot on the dash.
I did the Am HC (Pat Scorzetti in FL.) in 2008. I HAD to do something because the "rubber" was lifting off.
I think I mailed him 9 pieces. I like it and it's VERY easy to clean. I'll try to find or take some pictures.
I'm anxiously waiting to see your final interior pictures. Did you take any "safety precautions" dealing with the air bags?

Last edited by tf95ZR1; 11-01-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Wanted 2
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote