ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-27-2020   #31
XfireZ51

Default Re: I Think I Want a C4 ZR-1

Marty,

So 95 was the first year for the “crash thru” reverse? Wasn’t sure.
94-95 were also years w OBDII 16pin ALDL CONNECTOR but still using OBD1 diagnostics.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020   #32
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Marty,

So 95 was the first year for the “crash thru” reverse? Wasn’t sure.
94-95 were also years w OBDII 16pin ALDL CONNECTOR but still using OBD1 diagnostics.
'95 had the crash through reverse, '93 had a lift ring. I don't know about '94s but perhaps a '94 owner can contribute.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020   #33
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
'95 had the crash through reverse, '93 had a lift ring. I don't know about '94s but perhaps a '94 owner can contribute.--Bob
94 has lift ring.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020   #34
EvanZR1

1990:
One year only body style, one year only wheels (salad shooter). Super narrow sport seats with electric recline (36" waist max, a few 91s (like mine) also got these if they were rare/unusual color interior)
1991+:
New front bumper and belt-line trim. Sport seats are same look as 90, but a little bit wider and move to manual recline adjustment. Change to saw blade style wheels.
1992+:
Traction control added. Emblems on both sides of hood (although many earlier year owners add this). Exhaust tip change (of course exhaust is one of the most common things owners change).
1993 specific: 40th Anniversary Edition (appearance only option).
1993+: Increase to 405 horsepower, but car got heavier. PKE Remote. Passenger airbag. Oil & coolant temp added as options in digital dash functions (believe it was 93, may have been 92)
1994+: Another seat change, now the widest seats in a C4. White dash lettering. 5-spoke, A-mold wheels. OBDII port, but OBDI ECM.
1995: Possible to get a "double Dunn" engine (Dunn heads on both sides, more of a unique conversation piece, maybe worth a few (4-5?) HP), shifter lift ring eliminated and change to "crash through"

As Marty said, changes are actually minor, evolutionary, not revolutionary. Also, many of the "improvements" to the C4 were done as running changes and not tied to a specific year. So things like felt pads in certain places to help eliminate rattles were done once they identified an issue and had a solution, not waiting on the next model year to implement. In general, I typically say buy the latest model you can get with all else being equal. But on ZR-1s, that tends to go out the window as it's more about: what's available, color, condition of car, mods, specific things you value, etc.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020   #35
Jagdpanzer

On the 95 don’t forget to mention switching from single stitch to heavier “French” double stitching on the big boy sport seats.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020   #36
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Hey Craig, ur not dealing w CV-19 are u?
I think the media just needs to keep there mouth shut over this situation....Aids,Sars, the flu ? Did everything just go into shut off mode ? Over 2 trillion dollars lost in 4 days?

Are people falling over dead in the streets ? No....Its a shame...A lot of damage is done already....Its a situation that will come under control eventually just like everything else...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020   #37
Norwegianmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanZR1 View Post
1990:
One year only body style, one year only wheels (salad shooter). Super narrow sport seats with electric recline (36" waist max, a few 91s (like mine) also got these if they were rare/unusual color interior)
1991+:
New front bumper and belt-line trim. Sport seats are same look as 90, but a little bit wider and move to manual recline adjustment. Change to saw blade style wheels.
1992+:
Traction control added. Emblems on both sides of hood (although many earlier year owners add this). Exhaust tip change (of course exhaust is one of the most common things owners change).
1993 specific: 40th Anniversary Edition (appearance only option).
1993+: Increase to 405 horsepower, but car got heavier. PKE Remote. Passenger airbag. Oil & coolant temp added as options in digital dash functions (believe it was 93, may have been 92)
1994+: Another seat change, now the widest seats in a C4. White dash lettering. 5-spoke, A-mold wheels. OBDII port, but OBDI ECM.
1995: Possible to get a "double Dunn" engine (Dunn heads on both sides, more of a unique conversation piece, maybe worth a few (4-5?) HP), shifter lift ring eliminated and change to "crash through"

As Marty said, changes are actually minor, evolutionary, not revolutionary. Also, many of the "improvements" to the C4 were done as running changes and not tied to a specific year. So things like felt pads in certain places to help eliminate rattles were done once they identified an issue and had a solution, not waiting on the next model year to implement. In general, I typically say buy the latest model you can get with all else being equal. But on ZR-1s, that tends to go out the window as it's more about: what's available, color, condition of car, mods, specific things you value, etc.
Evan, I think the passenger side airbag came in 94.

1994 ZR-1 #112 Admiral Blue/Black
Dana 4:10
Aluminum flywheel
Corsa exhaust
Watson headers
Haibeck chip
470 HP/399 RWHP

1991 ZR-1 #400 White/Red (SOLD)
Dana 4:10
Powder coated engine
Haibeck performance chip
Borla exhaust
Norwegianmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020   #38
RichieDMD

I really appreciate all the insight and information you guys have provided me. This is quite an impressive community. You have been a huge help...and I am a new person here who hasn't contributed to the group at all. So, thank you for being so welcoming and helpful.

I have read every post and PM and have done a bunch of reading online as I continue to learn about these cars.

The more I learn, the more refined by goal has become. I think the consensus here is the newer the car the better the car simply because they continued to improve the model as time went by (as they do with all cars). So, I should buy the newest version I can. In addition, I don't care for the black trim on the 1990 cars and I really like the A-mold rims. So, it seems like a 1994 or 1995 would make the most sense. Of course, cost is gonna be a factor. So, we will see.

As far as my concerns about airbags, Oregon laws are pretty vague about forward facing car seats and airbags. Here is what it says:
Quote:
Oregon law requires children under eight years old and weighing 40 pounds or less to be secured in a child safety seat.
All children under two years old must be secured in a rear-facing child seat. Oregon does not specifically require that children be placed in the back seat of vehicles. However, “proper use” of a child safety seat prohibits installing a rear-facing car seat in front of an airbag.
So, I might not even need to worry about the airbag...and if I do it sounds easy enough to just deactivate it by removing a fuse. Plus, I have probably had car seats in my Pace Car Camaro 3 times in the last year...so it's not a big concern I don't think.

Based on all that, it seems that a 1994 or 1995 would make the most sense...with the preference being 1995. But, then it comes down to finding the right car.

It seems like there isn't a lot of variation for options on these as they all seem to be pretty fully loaded for their day. It feels like color and mods is what it comes down to.

For color, originally I was thinking red...but I feel like that's not the best choice for me. First off, red is my favorite color and to me nothing is better than a red car. But, my 2002 Camaro SS LE car is red (the LE cars only came red) and I plan on keeping that car. So, I think that I should get something other than red. Blue is also out, I'm in the process of buying a new daily driver right now and I'm looking for a blue BMW 3-series. The idea is, the BMW will be my daily driver, I will use the Camaro as a hot rod (it's gonna get a new exhaust, gears, and a cam over the next few years), and sell the Pace Car and buy a Corvette as a third vehicle in my little collection. This is basically all my wife will tolerate, haha.

So, red and blue are out. Looking at the other available colors, only two really appeal to me: black and yellow. For whatever reason, yellow is really standing out to me. I've never had a yellow car before and I have always associated yellow with Corvettes. I don't really know why...but yellow Corvettes just do it for me. It looks like the interior colors were black, grey or saddle and any of those would probably be fine with me.

But, they only made 43 yellow cars in 1994 and 49 in 1995. So, I've went from a red 1990 with 1565 made to a yellow 94/95 with 92 made. So, we will see if I can find one and then afford it.

I want to find a driver...something with some miles on it. Not 100K miles, but not a 2000 mile garage queen either. Also, I'm OK with a few minor mods (exhaust, gears, ect.) as long as it will still pass emissions...and Oregon tests all cars 1975 and newer (and they bring out the mirrors and looks for catalytic converters). The thing though is they do a tailpipe test on all cars 1995 and older and cars 1981-95 are held to the same standard. As long as it has cats and can pass the same test as a 1981 car it will be fine.

So, here is the question. How hard will be to locate a car like this and what do you think it will cost (lets see if my goals greatly outclass my wallet)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
I think the media just needs to keep there mouth shut over this situation....Aids,Sars, the flu ? Did everything just go into shut off mode ? Over 2 trillion dollars lost in 4 days?

Are people falling over dead in the streets ? No....Its a shame...A lot of damage is done already....Its a situation that will come under control eventually just like everything else...
There certainly is a certain degree of sensationalism in the media about this whole thing. I am a dentist and I've had a couple patients this week ask me if they could buy masks from me. It's nuts.
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020   #39
Z51JEFF

Car won’t start with the airbag fuse removed. Once you narrow it down to the year you want you’ll notice all the little differences each year offers. Back in 1990 I HATED the grey/yellow dash but after I got my 91 it grew on me. I really like the seats in the 95s but the dash design doesn’t work for me, the 91 has a stepped area above the gauges I like,94-94 doesn’t. And I’m not a fan of the black/yellow dash of the 92-93. So over all,I would say 91 is the best year for the details.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020   #40
RichieDMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Car won’t start with the airbag fuse removed. Once you narrow it down to the year you want you’ll notice all the little differences each year offers. Back in 1990 I HATED the grey/yellow dash but after I got my 91 it grew on me. I really like the seats in the 95s but the dash design doesn’t work for me, the 91 has a stepped area above the gauges I like,94-94 doesn’t. And I’m not a fan of the black/yellow dash of the 92-93. So over all,I would say 91 is the best year for the details.
I've been looking a lot at the Oregon laws about car seats and they are pretty vague...but it only actually says anything about air bags with rear facing car seats and we are beyond that point. The NHTSA recommends all kids under 12 to ride in the back but if that is not possible, then they should ride in a car seat in the front with the seat as far back as possible. In the year I have owned by 1993 Camaro, I have put car seats in it probably 3 times for short drives to car shows and such. But, it looks like all years are OK for the boys.
https://www.oregon.gov/odot/safety/p...lts-seats.aspx
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...e_tagged_0.pdf

As for the interiors, based on photos I think I like the 94-95 better. I prefer the white gauges over the yellow (my 93 Camaro has yellow and there it has grown on me but I like the more modern look of the white gauges in my 02 better). I also like how the steering wheel has the Corvette logo in it beginning in 1994.

But, I honestly think I would be happy with any year...but I will focus on finding a newer one. I just don't know how much more expensive they will be as the production was a lot lower.
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote