ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2016   #31
Agpilot1

Default Re: LED headlight upgrade

I'd be onboard with a group buy, if it came about. My light output at night is lacking, and have been thinking about an upgrade. Good thread!
Old 01-23-2016   #32
Billy Mild

If anyone is interested I could give you the coupon they sent to me with my Genessi headlights from Amazon. It's $10 off $100 spent or $20 off $200. PM if interested.
Old 01-23-2016   #33
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I don't drive my Vettes in the snow...very often. BUT! Before jumping on (any) bandwagon, look at this video showing the GE Nighthhawk/Truck Lite LED...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43taQiTh3g

It would appear someone driving in the snow w/ the LEDs one would be F'ked in a very short time.

Food for thought. As long as we're talking Corvettes that as a rule don't see many blizzards, it probably isn't an issue.

At the moment, I like the GENNSSI DOT approved LED headlights. (Amazon), far as the patterns it throws; Low beam "drive line" especially.

Still on the fence...ready to pull the trigger. But, at $400 ish for the pair, I wouldn't want to be sorry for not shopping some more.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 01-23-2016   #34
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I don't drive my Vettes in the snow...very often. BUT! Before jumping on (any) bandwagon, look at this video showing the GE Nighthhawk/Truck Lite LED...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43taQiTh3g

It would appear someone driving in the snow w/ the LEDs one would be F'ked in a very short time.

Food for thought. As long as we're talking Corvettes that as a rule don't see many blizzards, it probably isn't an issue.

At the moment, I like the GENNSSI DOT approved LED headlights. (Amazon), far as the patterns it throws; Low beam "drive line" especially.

Still on the fence...ready to pull the trigger. But, at $400 ish for the pair, I wouldn't want to be sorry for not shopping some more.
Paul, Hold off I am trying to find a vendor where we can get a group buy and Sponsorship in one swoop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
Old 01-23-2016   #35
32valvesftw

I will be watching this thread, as a motorcyclist they always say don't out ride your lights. My lights are no wheres near up to the task, and I have H4s
Old 01-23-2016   #36
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
Paul, Hold off I am trying to find a vendor where we can get a group buy and Sponsorship in one swoop.
for which ones?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 01-24-2016   #37
edram454

I would be interested in the LED lights. I have brand new in a box HID lights for the corvette but the installation is a little tricky and I would much rather just plug and play. They were over 200 or 300?bucks and I would hate not to use them since they were a gift from wifey. still like leds. I think they have halos and a projector bulb?? it was a kit I picked out but once I saw the install it has sat in the box.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
Old 01-24-2016   #38
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
for which ones?
Hello Jeff,

Still somewhat an open question. For example, this (HR Revolution) video, demonstrates how much the market "come to light", as it were. There must be going on two dozen+ vendors out there; some DOT/SAE approved, some not, some with really nice HI/LO beam patterns, some not so good, some with higher temp (aproaching the BLUE end of the visible light spectrum - (very undesirable feature, BTY).

However, LEDs might be the new, sexy way to go. True, they have a lot going for them. But, Lumens isn't everything - by far! How the light is focused, i.e., the pattern as it relates to the road and safety to traffic headed AT US, and whether or not rain or fog becomes a "blizzard" or white-out is very important. No prize given for a rush to judgement...is my point. AND! Just because they're made by GE or Panasonic or whomever shouldn't be the determining factor. Performance, quality, warranty, price...all have a place in the (as yet) not firmly defined product/technology.

For example, a good HID light (remember those?): what it may lack in LUMENS, (perhaps) it may gain in practical effectiveness in fog/rain due to lower color 'temp'. Bright on a clear night is good, but in fog or rain or snow, a bluish (6000K+ temp) would reflect badly, looking like bright white confetti against a black background...something to think about. (The reason FOG lights are amber. Amber/red does not rreflect as much, hence less reflection by water back at the driver. And, BTW, the HIDs generate enough heat that they melt snow/ice thus keeping the lens clear and dry.

Just to cut through the hype, I'm massaging a spreadsheet, replete with links and light pattern (HI/LO beam) photos for reference to help me get "dip-stick" review of what is out there. But, I intend to choose one in time to complete my winter upgrades - in time to do the MR4 this spring.

If you're interested, I'll consolidate it and post it - and you can see what I've come up with at that point (a work in progress), how they compare, and we can discuss and anybody can join in to share ideas.

Ideally, we may be able to pic one or two and have a joint purchase (per Robert's suggestion). But regardless, I hope to have something installed in the next 3 months - in time for next spring. Let's keep in touch!

Paul.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-24-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2016   #39
secondchance

We have been snowed in, here in mid-Atlantic region, since noon Friday. I was getting bored so figured I would re-ground driving light relay per Hib's post. Took somewhat longer and learned that later year passenger side hush panel is a bit different from early Zs.

Nonetheless, done!

Although it's tough to tell looking at digital photo, those halogen driving lights look pathetic. Next - HID driving lights to match.
Old 01-24-2016   #40
secondchance

As I stated in earlier post and Paul is re-emphasizing, whiter (and bluer) lights will reflect off of wet road, reflect back in snow and fog. Paul is absolutely correct that snow will build up and freeze in front of the lens because LEDs don't produce much heat. If you drive frequently at night in the rain or snow, I would suggest a set of HIDs with color temp below 4000k.
Closed Thread