ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-18-2015   #31
Big D

Default Re: LT5 miss at all speeds

I have an unmodified 90 and I have the 90 SM. I went to the library and got a diagram for the primary circuit which shows the primary wiring and the "splice S127" i believe. I also have the LT5 Fuel and Emissions Course book which is somewhat helpful. Not sure what my next step will be, was thinking turning it over and checking to see if i am getting voltage to # 6 at the injector. Shouldn't take but a couple of turns to verify. From the schematic it looks like i should be looking for a ground from the ECM on terminal A of the injector. Since i can shoot the wire from the yellow ECM connector to the injector and it is good I should be able to look for the ground on the back of the ECM while i turn it over, doing this would also NOT fire the left bank injectors since I haven't removed their electrical connectors, thus avoiding sending fuel into the cylinders. Also will check for 12 volts on the B side of the injector with the key on. Hope to look at this tomorrow if the chores don't overrule.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #32
Big D

Ok, the saga continues. First, I believe I have found the problem but ran out of time last night to fully verify. Looks like I have a bad connection at the ECM connector, probably a pushed back socket at A8 or I oversized it so that the pin doesn't make good contact. Now the story. First I disconnected the electrical connectors from all of the injectors. Then, using a 9 volt battery, I checked the # 6 injector and the # 2 injector as a knew the # 2 was good. I jumpered from the injector to the battery negative side and then touched the positive side and got a good click each time. Did the same to # 2 for comparison and it acted the same, so I ruled out a faulty injector (which I basically had already). Next I pressurized the fuel rail and did the battery check again. Looking down the injector port you can see the injector spray end and tapping the positive produced a nice spray out of the #6 injector, same with # 2, again verifying the good injector. Then I re-connected the plenum electricals for my next test. With the ignition module now connected I reconnected the #2 and #6 injectors electrical connectors. I had my assistant (daughter) turn the car over while I looked down the injector port. # 2 sprayed very nicely but #6 did not. So, back to shooting wires. Checked wire from injector to ECM, no problem. Looked into the ECM at pin 8, .7 K ohms. Re-connected the yellow ECM connector. Then I did voltage and ohm checks of each injector connector pins. With the key in the run position, "B" side should read around 12 volts (from the ignition) and the "A" side is looking for a ground into the ECM. I'm assuming here from data I have generated that the "A" side should read about .7 - .8 mega-ohms in this setup. (all "A" side resistance was around this number except for # 6). # 6 showed an open circuit on the "A" side but 12v on the "B" side. Ok, so the "A" side is not getting the signal from the ECM. Removed the yellow ECM connector and re-verified continuity between it and the #6 injector and it was good. Verified .7 k ohms into the ECM at pin 8 and it was good. Checked other injector pins into the ECM and got the same results. Next I jumpered from pin 8 of the ECM to socket 8 on the connector. Went to the injector connector and ohmed out pin "A". It read .7 k ohms. Then I was out of time. I will try and "fix" the socket to get a better connection with the pin and then do the injector test like before. I feel pretty confident right now that the plug is the problem. I'm thinking I might have used a test pin into the connector that was too large when I was first doing my injector tests when this problem first surfaced and the larger pin opened up the socket too much. Will get back at this next weekend, hopefully with good results.
Old 07-20-2015   #33
tccrab

Boy, talk about deja vu.
I had this EXACT problem a few years ago for the EXACT same reason.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10828

I seem to recall that I bought extra connectors, I'll go dig through my big box 'o spares.
PM me your address I'll mail you a couple, gratis.
I don't have the OEM crimp tools, I had to borrow a set from a former member. If you're careful you can get the job done with just a regular set of pliers.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #34
Big D

thanks 'Crabs, I'm hoping to get back on it this weekend and see if I can't get her back on the road, missing all this good weather we are having up in the Pacific N'West. I gotta keep the chores at bay though.
Old 07-20-2015   #35
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I'm thinking I might have used a test pin into the connector that was too large when I was first doing my injector tests when this problem first surfaced and the larger pin opened up the socket too much. Will get back at this next weekend, hopefully with good results.
IIRC, there was a post (by Marc Haibeck??) a year or so back warning about that very thing: be very careful NOT to shove a pin (such as on a VOM probe) into those connectors as over expanding the cylinder (female side) of the connector is a common problem.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #36
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
IIRC, there was a post (by Marc Haibeck??) a year or so back warning about that very thing: be very careful NOT to shove a pin (such as on a VOM probe) into those connectors as over expanding the cylinder (female side) of the connector is a common problem.

Ayup.
I remember reading it and saying to myself, "BOY, I sure wish I had read this FIRST!!!"

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #37
Big D

I did read it and I thought I had picked the correct size pin to insert into the socket but obviously I must not have. Hopefully this will fix this problem and I can move on. Thanks to all for all the help, previous postings and information.

Big D
69 L46/M21
90 ZR1
Old 07-20-2015   #38
RussMcB

Good job, you guys. I'm impressed you were able to track it down methodically.

And I guess the lesson here is, whenever you have a problem read the entire contents of ZR1.net and you'll find the answer. :-)
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #39
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I did read it and I thought I had picked the correct size pin to insert into the socket but obviously I must not have. Hopefully this will fix this problem and I can move on. Thanks to all for all the help, previous postings and information.

Big D
69 L46/M21
90 ZR1
I give you "cudoes" for breaking this down in logical steps. I think you'll get along with this car just fine!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #40
Johnny5

i have the same hesitation/miss at low acceleration, idle is fine and WOT is great, I changed coils, FIC injectors and 6 spark plugs. LMK what you find. Istill nee to chznge the back 2 plugs so im hoping thats it.
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote