NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014   #42
Karl

Default Re: Steel IH Gaskets & Primary Port is 38mm w/ dyno runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
I hope someone finds this thread helpful. The dyno chart below represents the last run after Marc adjusted the a/f ratio numbers on my chip. The only performance mods on this engine are port work to injector housing, port matched heads to injector housing (While on car), intake and throttle body, headers, high flow cats and injectors. Also removed the typical emissions stuff and coolant bypass. I still have the secondary throttle blades in place and functional. Also relocated the battery and swapped to a light weight Odyssey AGM battery and relocated the intake air temp sensor to in front of radiator. The car passes GA emissions. It would be interesting to see if the blades could be forced open if the car would pass. If so, I would remove all that crap as well.

Nice numbers for whats done to the car. Is this the '92 or the '95?
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014   #43
KJL

Default Re: Steel IH Gaskets & Primary Port is 38mm w/ dyno runs

The 95. Surprising increase for port work, headers, exhaust and chip. I would like to keep the 92 as stock looking as possible. My plan for that car is top end porting, and may just remove the resonators and install a cross pipe in place of it. I read on Marc's site that these are a major flow restriction in the stock exhaust system in the 90 through 92 Z's and install a chip.
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
Ported, Locked Secondary's, Flowmaster Exhaust, Haibeck Chip, 375rwhp
1996 Collectors LT4 (Stock)
1972 Convertible 434 Small Block
572 rwhp

Last edited by KJL; 11-23-2014 at 11:20 AM.
KJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #44
5ABI VT

Default Re: Steel IH Gaskets & Primary Port is 38mm

Great thread Im going to sit and read through it all from the start to see if I missed anything =D>

I too have been debating on going at the heads to match the port work but Im not brave enough to get in there.. yet.

Im about to install mine tomorrow I spent the entire day cleaning gasket surfaces and just finished cleaning and replacing my o rings as well. If I may ask did you use any gasket sealant or high temp rtv etc on the gaskets ? I was wondering if maybe I should line them up with a tiny bit just to be sure they seal.

Great numbers btw !!
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #45
KJL

Default Re: Steel IH Gaskets & Primary Port is 38mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Great thread Im going to sit and read through it all from the start to see if I missed anything =D>

I too have been debating on going at the heads to match the port work but Im not brave enough to get in there.. yet.

Im about to install mine tomorrow I spent the entire day cleaning gasket surfaces and just finished cleaning and replacing my o rings as well. If I may ask did you use any gasket sealant or high temp rtv etc on the gaskets ? I was wondering if maybe I should line them up with a tiny bit just to be sure they seal.

Great numbers btw !!
Unless you have a significant mismatch, you may want to leave it alone. I learned from some observant forum members that my injector housings were not 95's. Upon further investigation I learned they were swapped because the original owner didn't want to port the originals (I wish he kept them...). My issue was likely due to that and and some core shift, the mismatch was not symmetrical. They lined up perfectly on the inboard side (closest to secondary bore).

When it comes to sealant everybody has an opinion. Because the injector housing to head gasket is leak prone, I used a high tack Permatex product around the coolant and PCV passages. Item # 765-1221. Kinda messy, use thin coats. I have also seen #80019 recommended. The first one is made for NAPA, I believe they both are similar in function and application.

I used "dabs" of it for the intake to locate the gaskets because my gaskets had to be hand trimmed to fit and they needed to be exactly located, no room for error. If you don't need to use it for the plenum, I wouldn't use it. If you still have coolant passages in the plenum, you may wan to use around those only. Take special care torquing all bolts. Use a torque wrench and clean all bolts and bolt holes the best that you can. I use a an ultrasonic jewelery cleaner with paint thinner or Simply Green. I used medium strength blue thread locker on bolts. Jerry's gaskets has a great "thicker" Loctite product that worked very well. Also, keep a spare set of gaskets handy, never know when you may need to pull the plenum again.
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
Ported, Locked Secondary's, Flowmaster Exhaust, Haibeck Chip, 375rwhp
1996 Collectors LT4 (Stock)
1972 Convertible 434 Small Block
572 rwhp

Last edited by KJL; 11-26-2014 at 08:50 AM.
KJL is offline   Reply With Quote