ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-25-2009   #41
A26B

Default Re: 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

Todd,
email w/photo sent re: spreader bar.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #42
tpepmeie

Well, the engine came out of #411 without drama yesterday. Thanks to help from a few friends on this board. Lift brackets from Clint (Billybaloney) and videos from Flyin Ryan.

the improved, 2nd design two-piece exhaust manifolds were a blessing and a curse. It seemed all but impossible to actually reach a couple of the bolts on the flange. Finally got them with some different swivel sockets. Despite all that, I am glad the engine can be lifted straight up, rather than tilted at an extreme angle like the one-piece manifolds require. I was holding my breath as it was, making sure the engine didn't swing back and take out the cowl or windshield. A little paranoid, I'm sure.

Trans came out pretty easily, even though she was only on 18" jackstands or so. I imagine it will be a real bear to get it back on from under there, though.

The oil cooler lines managed to spew a little oil, I think it is still dripping from the frame... Cleanup to do today. And the coolant hoses left some nice green antifreeze everywhere.

All in all, it was a good experience. Thanks guys.

Todd
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #43
HAWAIIZR-1

Well I'm finally back on this project too as I had a month long bout with pnemonia then had to go to Thailand for a week. I'm going to get back on this today by dropping the trans. Have to pull a bolt from the bellhousing so I can get correct lenght bolts for the engine stand and also figure out what bolts will be needed to grab onto the heads or block. If someone has the hooks to loan that would be great too; sounds like not needed, but the best way to go.

Thanks for all the tips and tricks so far.
Old 09-06-2009   #44
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Never heard of the drivers side thing myself . 'Just' pulled & installed mine from the passenger side (with the hood on). Since your pulling the plenum I'm assuming you know about un-doing the wiring harness & leave it with the car. Sure glad Jeff told me about that. I bet he'll chime in & give you some tips .
Please tell me more about leaving the wiring harness in the car. Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 09-06-2009   #45
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Please tell me more about leaving the wiring harness in the car. Thanks in advance!!!!

Craig, after you get the headers off, you just need to disconnect all the various sensors and just pull the harness and stuff it up by the windshield out of the way.
Old 09-07-2009   #46
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

What Jeffvette said. Looks like someone slaughtered an octopus and laid it in the engine bay - the sensor plugs looking like suckers on it's arms!

This is my "first time" too, and it ain't the taking it apart that makes me a little anxious...It's the thought of making sure they're all re-connected when putting it back together that has me a leeeetle noivus! Can't wait tho!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #47
billybaloneey

I've been tearing into my spare engine which came with a full harness entact...it's a scary thought about not getting everything connected back together...and I have the luxuary of the engine already being out of the car.

Some points I have found helpfull:

1) get a factory service manual (FSM) if you don't already have one
2) label what you can on the electrical connector side...the FSM gives the physical location...and a line drawing of most all of them, and the wire color(s)
3) the majority of connectors are unique (color/pin count/cavity count)
4) all of the fuel injector connectors, if kept in the split loom, will line up the with the appropiate injector when it comes time to reconnect
5) in the back section of the FSM manual it shows line drawings of the connectors, their pin/cavity count and a description of what it connects to
6) make special note of any wires or connectors that were spliced in from repairs in the past...by you our any previous owners...most probably the connector will be correct but the wires...if replaced/extended...will not be the right color(s) and/or guage, (I have found two under the plenum of my spare engine)
7) all of the grounds go to a couple of common points/locations and should be easy to keep bundled together...the FSM is detailed with line drawings
8) for those connectors that are not so obvious, logical deduction will be your guide (wire color(s), wire guage, length to nearby sensors)
9) the wiring schematics will give you the wire color(s) and wire guage
10) take pictures...take lots and lots of pictures (you'll most likely be doing some engine clean-up...those pictures will give you a good before and after feeling, and share them with the forum...I for one can never see enough LT5 pictures)

Best advise is to go over the FSM several times...the engine and electrical portion...then things will begin to make sense, show some logic, and not keep you awake at night wondering, "How will I ever get everything reconnected again?"

'94 - C4 ZR-1 #445 - Black/Black
'05 - C6 silver/black 6sp
'85 - C4 white/graphite (almost done) automatic
'78 - C3 silver/black (a work in progress) automatic
billybaloneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #48
flyin ryan

Luckly, most sensor hook-up's can only go on one thing, pretty hard to put them on sensors not designed for the correct end.
Old 09-07-2009   #49
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Luckly, most sensor hook-up's can only go on one thing, pretty hard to put them on sensors not designed for the correct end.

Engine harnesses are simple. They route one way and will connect to one thing. Remember who the people are that are installing them.
Old 09-07-2009   #50
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
Craig, after you get the headers off, you just need to disconnect all the various sensors and just pull the harness and stuff it up by the windshield out of the way.
Thanks Jeff. It seemed like you said, but I just wanted to make sure there was not anything special I should be doing. I have not taken all the wiring off the injectors and going into the area under the plenum yet so I might as well starting with all of that. Man, I guess I better take some picures as my memory won't remember in a few months where all this stuff goes. Thanks again!