ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Which battery do you have in your ZR-1?
AC Delco 115 46.37%
Autocraft 4 1.61%
EverStart (Wal-Mart) 13 5.24%
Exide 5 2.02%
Kirkland (Costco) 2 0.81%
Interstate 25 10.08%
MAXX 3 1.21%
NAPA 4 1.61%
Nascar (Sams Club) 1 0.40%
Optima 30 12.10%
Sears Diehard 14 5.65%
Bosch 5 2.02%
Duralast (Autozone) 19 7.66%
Odyssey 6 2.42%
Braille 2 0.81%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2009   #41
jmascharka

Default Re: Which battery do you have?

Had an interstate and swapped it for a Duralast Gold this time around. In another 5-6 yrs I may try something else.
jmascharka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #42
iliad427

AC Delco battery going on four years.
iliad427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #43
GregCrowe

I've had horrible luck with batteries. My Z doesn't get driven much so the "sitting in the garage" does a number on batteries. It's common knowledge among anyone and everyone who has worked within a GM dealership that A/C Delco batteries are crap for a car that sits. If you drive your car every day, an A/C Delco battery will last a long time....... or at least until it starts leaking acid. A/C Delco batteries are the absolute worst about going bad if allowed to sit and lose a charge. 3 times and they are pretty much gone. My last replacement was just a few months ago with the top of the line Wally World "Maxx" battery. 3 months later, dead as can be, won't take a charge.

Has anyone thought about using a Marine battery ? Aren't marine batteries designed to stay charged longer on something that sits and doesn't get used ? I'm not sure what to buy now, have changed the damn battery too many times on the 'ol Z.
GregCrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #44
xlr8nflorida

I suggest Auto Zone Duralast battery.

It's made by Johnson Controls. One of the big players in the battery world.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...tery/_/N-8gcxb
3 year replacement. The rest is pro-rated fairly.

You should buy a float charger - Ctek 3300 on ebay. You can find them for $50.00 and they are excellent.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #45
GregCrowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post

You should buy a float charger - Ctek 3300 on ebay. You can find them for $50.00 and they are excellent.
I'll give that one a try. I've never had a battery last 3 years on any Corvette I own(lack of use). I'll pick one up tomorrow and swap 'em out for free every couple years.
Old 02-18-2011   #46
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCrowe View Post
I'll give that one a try. I've never had a battery last 3 years on any Corvette I own(lack of use). I'll pick one up tomorrow and swap 'em out for free every couple years.
I had one die on me after about 4 years. They gave me a new one for $20. Hard to beat that. They also keep it on record on the computer so you can go to any store and they will honor it.

Makes you wonder if you should float charge them LOL.

Just hope it dies before 3 years and keep getting a new one
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #47
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor View Post
What battery do you have in your ZR-1, and are you satisfied with it? Why did you chose it, and if you will be switching to a different one when the time comes, why?

Is the one you have not listed in the poll? If so list it here and I will add it.

The battery I have is not listed: Braille B3121

I am really satisfied with it and it has no problem cranking up the Z. I chose it for its small size and lightweight, yet packing a big punch for starting. It fits nicely behind the passenger compartment for my relocation and all the benefits that comes with it.

From Summit Racing:

BrandBraille BatteryManufacturer's Part NumberB3121Part TypeBatteriesProduct LineBraille Battery No-Weight Standard BatteriesSummit Racing Part NumberBRL-B3121 Battery UsageStartingVolts12 VBattery TerminalsTop and sideBattery TypeAGMCranking Amps at 0 Degrees F550 ampsCranking Amps at 32 Degrees F742 ampsReserve Capacity75 minutesLength (in)6.600 in.Width (in)5.200 in.Height (in)6.800 in.Weight21.000 lbs.QuantitySold individually.NotesThis is case height without the posts. Right side positive.

When weight is a factor, Braille Battery offers these no-weight batteries to save you some poundage.

Features include:

* Lightweight, dual terminal design
* Brass auto terminals
* Solid top lead connections
* No spill, no corrosion, no maintenance
* Certified and fully charged
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #48
GregCrowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post

Here's some interesting information. I couldn't find my receipt for the WalMart "Maxx" battery I bought 6 months ago that died but I called up and asked if I could bring it back since it had a 03/10 manufacture date on the side of it and a 3 year free replacement warranty. They said no problem, bring it back.

That battery had printed on the label "Made by Exide for WalMart". When I picked up the new 75N "Maxx" labeled battery with the same yellow "Maxx" label, I noticed that it looked different, had 700 CCA instead of 690. Further examination of the new battery showed that it was made in 02/11 and on the top label was printed "Made by Johnson Controls for WalMart".

Therefore, a new WalMart 75N "Maxx" battery is most likely the exact same battery as the AutoZone Duralast, still with a 3 year free replacement warranty.
Old 03-07-2011   #49
lakemeadzmonster

In the Las Vegas Heat, the life expectancy of a NEW battery is a little over 2 years!

I have lived here long enough to base a battery purchase on the warranty because I have found this to be true and without any warning or prior slow cranking issues.

The last few I bought at SAM'S had a 3 year FREE Replacement, I've never seen any Brand last 3 years in this heat. So I jumped on it, they say they are redesigned for Desert Heat, we'll seeeee! the last one's did tooooo......

So essentially you pay for 2 up front in this area. With a fleet of 3 cars it adds up.

Last edited by lakemeadzmonster; 03-08-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: checked on SAM'S
lakemeadzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #50
lakemeadzmonster

Smile Re: Which battery do you have?

When I bought my last battery at SAM'S they sold Energizer Batteries, 3 year free replacement. I'll half to look and see if they sell NASCAR Batteries now. Looks like they all are distributed by Johnson Controls,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin if you look at the label closely.

Got back from SAM'S tonight, they still sell the Energizer and Optima Batteries.

I remember them from a few years ago, maybe they still sell them in certain area's under that name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0854.jpg (63.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by lakemeadzmonster; 03-08-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: add picture
lakemeadzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote