ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-11-2013   #41
mgbrv8

Default Re: Plenum pull advice

Sorry for the long delay with the updates its been a little hectic around here. Today I installed my new injectors with new orings, plumbed all my vacuum systems and zip tied all the connectors and pulled my ruptured carbon canister. Tomorrow I am going to get all the carbon out of the lines and install the new carbon canister, do a final torque down on the water pump, reinstall the cooling hoses, a pull the A/C compressor so I can rebuild it sense my oring kit came in today. I want to thank all of you for all the great advice. Anything else I might be missing that I need to attend to???

Here is a link of the pictures of the project so far I need to label them and will once I finish up.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=bf12a0aa41

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #42
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
pull the A/C compressor so I can rebuild it sense my oring kit came in today. I want to thank all of you for all the great advice. Anything else I might be missing that I need to attend to???

Here is a link of the pictures of the project so far I need to label them and will once I finish up.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=bf12a0aa41
Dave
Nice photos.

Thanks for the photos and discussion....appreciate it

Cliff

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #43
mgbrv8

Im sure once I finish up I will work on better write ups. Now Hammer was the one that suggested replacing the vac can for the secondaries and Im glad he did I opened up my can and it was a mess also the one way valve had a weak leak. Is there any inline Vac filter I could get to keep the contaminants out?

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (134).jpg (63.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (135).jpg (25.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (136).jpg (35.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (137).jpg (38.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (138).jpg (29.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by mgbrv8; 03-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2013   #44
Hammer

Talking Re: Plenum pull advice

Quote:
Im sure once I finish up I will work on better write ups. Now Hammer was the one that suggested replacing the vac can for the secondaries and Im glad he did I opened up my can and it was a mess also the one way valve had a weak leak. Is there any inline Vac filter I could get to keep the contaminants out?

Dave
Glad you did that Dave. Dwight Eickmeier was actually the guy that tore one apart and discovered how dirty they get. He showed us all at a PNW Gathering at Jeff's house. I always like to pass on good information and in this case the cost is minimal, so why not do it. Next time I go under the penum, I'm replacing mine.

Nice write up.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Last edited by Hammer; 03-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #45
mgbrv8

Thanks Hammer shes coming along nicely. Today I jumped in and started cleaning the carbon particles out of the lines. This became a lot more of a job than just an air hose and a vacuum it took alot longer then i thought it would. lts Because of the particles shape they would pack in and tighten up into tight little blocks So I had to completely remove the lines and system out of the car Once the line was out I could tap it on the obstructed areas and finally break loose all those particles and then they could be blasted out with the air hose. I also attached some pictures of All my vacuum plumbing to see if I missed anything important.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (141).jpg (82.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (139).jpg (81.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (142).jpg (98.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (143).jpg (89.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (145).jpg (57.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by mgbrv8; 03-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2013   #46
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
"scottfab"...Please, cite the source of your information about early LT5 development and TB ice being ingested into the engine.
I did something wrong with my thread notifies. I did not get a notice on this post. Separate issue.

source was email thread of 98 time frame. It should be in the archive. Strange you would not remember it. My recollections was that it was from a credible source Graham (sp) or JVD or ???
As memory serves two engines were lost.
Other topics of the era were the reason for the Two PVC valves (not just one) when oil got all tossed out of the block during overnight engine tests or some such thing. Somebody on here that goes back to that time frame might remember more.

I'd look for it but currently up to my eyeballs in hospital visits to a critically injured family member (pedestrian run over in a crosswalk)
If you can't find it and really need the info for some research I'll do the foot work later.
Right now, I need to run to the airport again to pickup more family.

So, Hib
You still recommending Dexcool for the LT5?
Do you have any sources stating that it's ok?

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 03-12-2013 at 10:31 PM.
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #47
VetteVet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
I did something wrong with my thread notifies. I did not get a notice on this post. Separate issue.

source was email thread of 98 time frame. It should be in the archive. Strange you would not remember it. My recollections was that it was from a credible source Graham (sp) or JVD or ???
As memory serves two engines were lost.
Other topics of the era were the reason for the Two PVC valves (not just one) when oil got all tossed out of the block during overnight engine tests or some such thing. Somebody on here that goes back to that time frame might remember more.

I'd look for it but currently up to my eyeballs in hospital visits to a critically injured family member (pedestrian run over in a crosswalk)
If you can't find it and really need the info for some research I'll do the foot work later.
Right now, I need to run to the airport again to pickup more family.

So, Hib
You still recommending Dexcool for the LT5?
Do you have any sources stating that it's ok?
Scott,

Prayers for your family member, Brother.

Jep
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #48
Dynomite

Quote:

Dave
Thanks John (Hammer) for that suggestion......
What are the contaminants in the Secondary Vacuum Reservoir?
Where do the contaminants come from? (Sucked in at the leaks?, failed Vacuum system components?).

Unlike Contaminants in the Fuel EVAP Purge System which come from a failed Charcoal Canister itself.....Charcoal canister replace

Secondary Vacuum System

Quote:
I also attached some pictures of All my vacuum plumbing to see if I missed anything important.
Dave
I do not think you missed anything at all. I see you have ties on ALL the secondary vacuum lines

Check those secondary canisters for smooth operation. You can just apply a vacuum to the cannisters with plenum off to see if the canisters and secondaries function/open smoothly.

Cliff

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-13-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #49
mgbrv8

Some of the contaminants look like moisture residue the rest seems like a fine dust maybe form vac leaks, really makes you wonder what lurks in all of out vac systems. I doing my best to handle all systems so I don't have to do this again for a very long time.

Dave
Old 03-13-2013   #50
carter200

Sorry to hear about your family members issue. Hope all turns out well...

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote