ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-11-2021   #41
Great White

Default Re: Castrol 10W-60 TWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
I just went though this threat as in our German forum we currently have a case of transmission failure and at the same time I'm tidying up my new Z.

My car, as mentioned before, is a 18.5kmls example and I strongly assume (but don't know for sure) that transmission fluid is still factory filled. There are two particular concerns in my case:
- avoid that the new oil removes old debris too aggressively leading to bulky particles that may clog oil passages
- make sure the thing will survive German Autobahn speed.

Castrol Edge 10W60 is fairly easy to get here, but as Marc Haibeck recommends Amsoil 5W30 I wonder which will work better or safer. Marc's recommendation seems much thinner and therefore sounds like improved lubrication at all temperatures.
I don't think either is wrong but is there any better or worse?
Not sure which is better or worse, but the thicker oils tend to quiet things in the gearbox a bit better at higher temperatures. My car has an aluminum aftermarket flywheel so things tend to get a bit noisy after they warm up on my particular blue tag. When I first bought the car, I filled it with Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer because I found nothing else available at the time. I have since switched to the Amsoil Synchromesh 5w30 and haven't had any issues. Both fluids have worked well but I was unsure of how suitable the Lucas would be in this particular application. (It survived a few rounds on the NCM MSP course with no failures with the Lucas stuff in there though.)

Last edited by Great White; 03-11-2021 at 07:22 PM. Reason: forgot a detail.
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021   #42
Matt B

Thanks, sounds good. And just to be sure: it's Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid we're speaking about? I couldn't find some other with no "synchromesh" in its name.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021   #43
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Thanks, sounds good. And just to be sure: it's Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid we're speaking about? I couldn't find some other with no "synchromesh" in its name.
Yes that is correct. I spoke with my local Amsoil distributor before I used it and he confirmed that this fluid meets the specifications set fourth by ZF for our S6-40 transmissions. Below is a link to the product.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/manual-sync...uid-5w-30-mtf/

Sent from my BBF100-2 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021   #44
-=Jeff=-

I prefer the Amsoil to the TWS, transmission is very smooth with Amsoil, not so much with the TWS
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote