ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-05-2014   #51
WVZR-1

Default Re: Pulling the plenum / IH Some pics !!

That box will do well for the 'first' of the double box. If you wrapped it well in that box and then used 3/4" or 1" Styrofoam sheet on all six sides of it inside of another box you would be probably fine. I'd center it lengthwise in that box and fill the ends, paper is a great packaging product. For the second box if you've a smaller LCD flat panel of a recent purchase or check some local stores they're quite substantial. 1" Styrofoam is the preferred here I'd say.

An auto dealership generally has some really good packaging hanging around in either the parts dept. or the body shop. If you've some relationships at one or a few I'd use them.

I'd consider two boxes total for the ship. For the IH's I'd find a box suitable for each one and box them and then package them in a single larger box that is as well packaged as the plenum will be.

If you could find an appropriate box then the three singles inside of a single if well packed would do likely as well like Clint mentioned.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-05-2014 at 02:10 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #52
5ABI VT

Appreciate the input I'll google uhaul I'm pretty sure they are around here. Here's a photo of some high impact foam I was planning to use on the sides to give it a tight fit. I still plan to add lots of styrofoam and bubble wrap as well..

Folded ..

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 08-05-2014 at 02:19 PM.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #53
5ABI VT

Getting the materials together. Will see how well I can stuff this thing. Definitely going to send the injector housings in a seperate box.
Old 08-05-2014   #54
Hog

That plenum looks amazing, the "keynote" of the LT5's visual appeal.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #55
5ABI VT

Definitely one of the most appealing engines to date. I love popping the good and seeing peoples faces when they see it priceless. It's something I think gm let down c6z owners when they had Rubbermaid design the cover on the ls9 and even put a window on it.

Anyhow.. Ran out of tape for now.. Will get some more from work. The high impact foam surrounds the runners and top and bottom. The front and back will have 6+ inches of foam stuffed in there to protect those sides. Preparing myself for he worst and I feel better now knowing I can always get it repaired and then polish the whole thing and smoothen the runners.

Generally a ton of styrofoam front and back... Just test fitting.

Foam wrapped around the runners and folded below and above for protection. Ran out of tape here but it will be wrapped up better with more styrofoam to fit. Then I'll add some thick pieces front and back and wrap that way as well.

I'm planning to head over the border to pick up more parts etc on Thursday I'm thinking it will be a lot cheaper to ship from there than here in canada so hopefully I'll get it wrapped up tomorrow. Injector housings I'm not too worried about I have lots of foam that should swallow them up good.

Old 08-05-2014   #56
Schrade

Looks fine. Like Dave said, for FIRST box - use tape to EXTREMELY compress that Black styro, AND compress first box, then cushion THAT box inside second box. Then the load from handling hits on outside box gets spread evenly on inside box.

(owned a courier & delivery for 21 years - junk car parts, human organs, office supplies, US Bulk Mail, etc., ... )
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #57
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Looks fine. Like Dave said, for FIRST box - use tape to EXTREMELY compress that Black styro, AND compress first box, then cushion THAT box inside second box. Then the load from handling hits on outside box gets spread evenly on inside box.

(owned a courier & delivery for 21 years - junk car parts, human organs, office supplies, US Bulk Mail, etc., ... )
Much appreciated ! Plan to really tighten things up.. but finding a box bigger than this one.. Not exactly sure where to look Will look up uhaul etc now while Im at work.. Still considering the drive... a hell of a drive just to drop stuff off lol. the suspension box is fairly thick I was thinking it would be enough lined with enough Styrofoam on all sides. I believe the suspension weighed in around 56 lbs when it came in.

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 08-05-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2014   #58
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
seperate box.
I spoke to soon.. I do have those giant white boxes in the pic above that were for the rolling workbenches I built. ive been using the Styrofoam from them. I can cut them down to size.. and put a few inches of Styrofoam sheets on every side of the first box and double box it. I see the logic in the double box now it would definitely help and couldn't hurt.
Old 08-05-2014   #59
XfireZ51

How about using a Rubbermaid container?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #60
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
How about using a Rubbermaid container?
That's what I've used for shipping the last 3 differentials that I've shipped but I'd think for these parts the cardboard box and Styrofoam works better. If you used a 'tote' you still have to do the same packaging of the single pieces and I actually use a 'tote' inside of the same sized 'tote' with a couple inches trimmed from the top of the inner one. I retain the lid to the tote with a combination of threaded fasteners and seal the perimeter with cable ties. I've used a single tote also with the fold-over lid and used bolts and u-nuts for the flaps and at the handles as well as cable ties.

It could certainly work.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote