ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-29-2014   #51
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Time to face the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Ran a C5Z one day at the track. I had street tires. He was ahead by 2 cars at the 1/8mi. Came around him then and took him by 2 lengths at the big end.
That LS6 nosed over at the top. He walked over later surprised but gracious.
Yep! It's that BIG END that gets 'em every time!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #52
edram454

When I bought my Zr1 this past November, the owner had several cars and one of those cars was a c5 z06. I too had a c5 supercharged coupe so I asked him how fast was the zr1 compared with his z06. Since he tracked both cars a couple of times he said that in a drag race, the z06 would pull a car or two but once the z was off the line it would run away from the z06. I was impressed having driven a c5 z06 and knowing how impressive that car is that his zr1 was that capable. He said, "you've got to trust me on this one, you will see". Last weekend, I was driving home and as I am driving right past Homestead Speedway the road straightens out and there is a very long straight stretch of road and it just so happens that right down the road east of the raceway, Florida Power and Light lets out its employees and there is a young guy driving a black c6 coupe. He merges onto the straight stretch of road and pulls along side of my z. He must not know what it is because he revs his car and I look at him. Poor guy thinks its a regular c4 Corvette. He disregards my fat looking car with a lowered stance and roll bar decorating the interior so I decided to let him have it. It was not even a race. It was a 40mph rolling start...he never had a chance. I shifted at 7k and it was howling and those headers were screaming..I let off at 140mph and ran out of road... I bet he never does that again. He didnt even acknowledge and just drove on like nothing happened. Oh yeah buddy, it happened.

edramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #53
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
When I bought my Zr1 this past November, the owner had several cars and one of those cars was a c5 z06. I too had a c5 supercharged coupe so I asked him how fast was the zr1 compared with his z06. Since he tracked both cars a couple of times he said that in a drag race, the z06 would pull a car or two but once the z was off the line it would run away from the z06. I was impressed having driven a c5 z06 and knowing how impressive that car is that his zr1 was that capable. He said, "you've got to trust me on this one, you will see". Last weekend, I was driving home and as I am driving right past Homestead Speedway the road straightens out and there is a very long straight stretch of road and it just so happens that right down the road east of the raceway, Florida Power and Light lets out its employees and there is a young guy driving a black c6 coupe. He merges onto the straight stretch of road and pulls along side of my z. He must not know what it is because he revs his car and I look at him. Poor guy thinks its a regular c4 Corvette. He disregards my fat looking car with a lowered stance and roll bar decorating the interior so I decided to let him have it. It was not even a race. It was a 40mph rolling start...he never had a chance. I shifted at 7k and it was howling and those headers were screaming..I let off at 140mph and ran out of road... I bet he never does that again. He didnt even acknowledge and just drove on like nothing happened. Oh yeah buddy, it happened.

edramos #3028
Awesome story Ed.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #54
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Yep! It's that BIG END that gets 'em every time!
True story! ZR-1's aren't great out of the hole but they sure run hard from a roll.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #55
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
A $70k price isn't a good thing? Once cars start becoming classics and appreciating, you can't compare totally different models. The museum pieces will go up first, and usually haul the others after them. $70k is great news, and hopefully we start seeing more as these cars hit the 25 year mark. So many change hands for well under $20k, I'll bet the average sale price is somewhere around 17 grand.

Do you think the average sale will hit $30k in five years? $50k? Or remain below 20? Personally seeing a low mileage example go for $70k is definitely good news, and I think the average will hit 30k sooner than later.
The car that went for 70K was not a low mileage Z. It was a never owned never prepped 95.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #56
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
A $70k price isn't a good thing? Once cars start becoming classics and appreciating, you can't compare totally different models. The museum pieces will go up first, and usually haul the others after them. $70k is great news, and hopefully we start seeing more as these cars hit the 25 year mark. So many change hands for well under $20k, I'll bet the average sale price is somewhere around 17 grand.

Do you think the average sale will hit $30k in five years? $50k? Or remain below 20? Personally seeing a low mileage example go for $70k is definitely good news, and I think the average will hit 30k sooner than later.
The 95 that sold for 70K was not just a low mileage (56 miles) it was a never owned, never dealer prepped Z. So whomever bought the car just became the original owner.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #57
Kevin

owning a zr-1 is a kin to owning a classic ferrari. a good friend of mine has a Testarossa and a 328 and while everyone tells him that the maintenance on them has to be a killer but in talking with him...because I'd love a charcoal metallic 328....and the year to year maintenance isn't too bad. The major service is $5000 or so every 5 years depending on if you do the water pump or not. These are the things we have to deal with also
Old 01-30-2014   #58
95 LT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
The 95 that sold for 70K was not just a low mileage (56 miles) it was a never owned, never dealer prepped Z. So whomever bought the car just became the original owner.
What # was it?

'95 ZR-1
RED/GRAY

'95 ZR-1
BLK/BLK

'89 6-Spd
FX-3,Z51
BLK/BLK
95 LT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #59
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
That's a good thing. The outliers are the ones that rise first, and then the rest will start to follow. As an example, look at the early long hood 911s. The 73RS hovered around $80-120k for years and then in the last five years started to climb. And in the last year has hit the stratosphere, topping a half-million with rumors of a LOT bigger offers being turned down. And right along with them, the standard long hoods have climbed with even the 911T commanding $50k for good ones, and a 911S is well into six figures. That has also pulled the 911SC and Carrera up. Just a couple years ago you could find excellent examples for $12k and now they are $30k or more for good ones.

As the ZR-1 hits the 25-year mark, I believe things will start to improve. People who loved them in high school are starting to look around. Yeah a paint package selling for $140k is ridiculous, but it's good news for the entire line. An outlier Z selling for $70k is also news, and the rest will come along for the ride.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote