ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-17-2010   #51
FULLPWR

Default Re: Blue Smoke

Tom
that makes since..thanks i agree considering how its all interrelated is confusing but im getting there

hey what do you think about the cats? cutting off ... please see earlier post i made in this thread.....

Luis
FULLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #52
A26B

Something you said about running rough at idle & smoking initially after start up or idling.....

I also recall you replaced the injectors.

Suggestion: Before you reinstall the plenum, check fuel rail pressure with gauge. Turn key on only, do not start. observe pressure, turn key off & watch for pressure leakdown. The rough idle, smoothing out at higher rpm & the smoke sounds like it's loading up at low rpm from a leaking fuel injector.

if the fuel pressure bleeds down fairly quickly, pull the plugs again & smell for fuel in each cylinder. Or, you can pop out the fuel rail w/injectors, place towels under the injectors & turn the key on again. Watch for leaker(s).
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #53
FULLPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Something you said about running rough at idle & smoking initially after start up or idling.....

I also recall you replaced the injectors.

Suggestion: Before you reinstall the plenum, check fuel rail pressure with gauge. Turn key on only, do not start. observe pressure, turn key off & watch for pressure leakdown. The rough idle, smoothing out at higher rpm & the smoke sounds like it's loading up at low rpm from a leaking fuel injector.

if the fuel pressure bleeds down fairly quickly, pull the plugs again & smell for fuel in each cylinder. Or, you can pop out the fuel rail w/injectors, place towels under the injectors & turn the key on again. Watch for leaker(s).

i tested yesterday just like you just described, i got 52lbs and it held no leak down.

i just removed the plenum, the blk plastic vac hose under the airhorn was out of the rubber conn., i dont see anything else loose or off.

i put my hand vac pump directly to the sec actuator it pulls in then releases just as fast. i have to keep pumping the vac to get it to stay open . it that normal??
Old 04-17-2010   #54
FULLPWR

how do i test the vac sys in there to make sure there are no other leaks?

assuming i didnt pull off that airhornor tb hose when pelling up plenun, i really dont think i did i was trying to be careful.
Old 04-17-2010   #55
FULLPWR

oh the vac line coming from the sec vac pump itself, i disconnected it right before it enters the plenum and put a vac on it and it held at 20.
everything under there is new as of 2006 since has had maybe 300 miles on it.
Old 04-17-2010   #56
FULLPWR

sorry to post indivduals i thunking slow.
but also i for got to say that yesterday when i determined i had a vac leak under there it was because when i would raise the ilde then let it go icould hear the hiss but only when i let it go, actually the leak sounds more like if you were stepping on the gas as if sucking air.

Old 04-17-2010   #57
jonszr1

there is a pm in your box. did you say that when you tested thew actuators that they didnt hold vacume .they shoud be fully open at about 10 in of vacume and stay open till you release the pressure . on the tie wraps .i use them on the silicone hose as the worm clamps dig into the silicone .which i didnt want . jmho . jerry gaskets is the place to get gaskets i have 3 extra sets but jerry can get them to you quicker . are you down by Katy tx if so i know someone who might loan you an extra set . let me know
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #58
FULLPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
there is a pm in your box. did you say that when you tested thew actuators that they didnt hold vacume .they shoud be fully open at about 10 in of vacume and stay open till you release the pressure . on the tie wraps .i use them on the silicone hose as the worm clamps dig into the silicone .which i didnt want . jmho . jerry gaskets is the place to get gaskets i have 3 extra sets but jerry can get them to you quicker . are you down by Katy tx if so i know someone who might loan you an extra set . let me know

ok

actuators - i just ck the actuators pass side leaks down superfast
drivers side holds 10 steady,

resevoir - put 10 on the resevoir can and it holds 10 without closing off the other pipe, i switched sides and it wont hold 10 unless i close up the pipe. thinking that is good.

sec solenoid - i put 10in on the solenoid and it holds steady. good

connected back all hose except for one that goes to under the throttle body and two to top of plenum .......ckd vacuum at 15in connected to the main line coming from the sec vac pump...holds 15in steady.

my conclusion but please critique:
i need two actuators (so both are new)
need a set of plenum gaskets (two sets so im not stuck next pull)
super glue for the plastic to rubber conn's

i dont know if this might be contributing to the smoking ...not sure but as Tom noted the ecm may be thinking it needs more fuel.

what yall think??????

oh dam, i need to go look down the injector housings i saw lil oil when i pulled up the plenum that might be my smoking gun.... didnt do it at first was really concentrated on the vac stuff, and i got that sick gut feeling when i noticed some oil..so ilooked the other way....

luis
Old 04-17-2010   #59
FULLPWR

inside the injector housing on cylinder #1 there is lil oil in there at the secondary throttle blades .

where would this be coming from?
Old 04-17-2010   #60
QB93Z

It is normal to have a little oil in the plenum. Every plenum I have pulled has oil in it. The oil gets pulled in from the PCV system. Some guys have gone so far as to add an oil catch can to the PCV system, but most LT5's work fine just the way it is.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote