ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-10-2014   #61
Mitsumark

Default Re: My last effort

Drove it to work today..Smoke was down to much less than yesterday..But still present..It's weird..I can stand by the tailpipes and at times there is no smoke at all for 1-2 minutes..Then it's like the car burps and a few smoke puffs will come out..I swear with the lumpy idle and the Blue smoke occasionally,,I honestly think it could be something just throwing everything outta wack(AFRs)..Today I noticed the smoke was much more Grey and every so often it would turn Blue..It's like it's running pig rich and washing down the cylinder walls..What's throwing me off is I can't smell any fuel in the oil at all..I don't know..It was nice to drive it today..Had quite a few looks from some dudes as the car sounds menacing in person..Also had a chick in the next car over give me a dirty look and roll up her car window..I'm thinking she didn't appreciate the stinky exhaust..I don't blame her..It does stink
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #62
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not sure it works that way. I put mine away early last year and when I think about getting it out I go between, Yes, can't wait to drive it! and ****, it's still broken.

It can work how ever you want it to work. Just takes some ambition to get there.

If you want to get your car fixed you can get it fixed. It may take some time but ultimately it can be done. If not, jump ship and sell it.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #63
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
It can work how ever you want it to work. Just takes some ambition to get there.

If you want to get your car fixed you can get it fixed. It may take some time but ultimately it can be done. If not, jump ship and sell it.
not everyone is willing to put in the....lets call it dedication.....it takes to own one of these
Old 04-10-2014   #64
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsumark View Post
Drove it to work today..Smoke was down to much less than yesterday..But still present..It's weird..I can stand by the tailpipes and at times there is no smoke at all for 1-2 minutes..Then it's like the car burps and a few smoke puffs will come out..I swear with the lumpy idle and the Blue smoke occasionally,,I honestly think it could be something just throwing everything outta wack(AFRs)..Today I noticed the smoke was much more Grey and every so often it would turn Blue..It's like it's running pig rich and washing down the cylinder walls..What's throwing me off is I can't smell any fuel in the oil at all..I don't know..It was nice to drive it today..Had quite a few looks from some dudes as the car sounds menacing in person..Also had a chick in the next car over give me a dirty look and roll up her car window..I'm thinking she didn't appreciate the stinky exhaust..I don't blame her..It does stink
Mitsumark,

I sense that you are about to throw in the towel. I can only imagine the frustration you must be feeling. I chased pre-ignition rattling for 5-6 years and eventually tracked it down to bad injectors. In your case, I am no LT5 guru but I can't help but think something is forcing or allowing oil into the combustion chamber.
If I was in this situation, I would pour a can of BG K44 into the gas tank when near empty and add about 10 gallons of gas then drive revving up to perhaps 3,500 to 4,000 rpm before shifting. Please note that this is what I would do. BG K44 is a fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner and hope would be, if piston rings are somehow sticking due to carbon deposit, fuel additive/carbon deposit cleaner would un-stick the ring.
Like I said, I may be wrong but at less then $25 per bottle, worth a try...
Also, notice any coolant loss? Or notice contaminants in the coolant?
Check your oil dip stick. Is it pushed up? If so, sign of pressure build in the crankcase.

Last edited by secondchance; 04-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #65
Blue Flame Restorations

Without re-reading the previous posts....Did you put the old chip back in and evaluate the oil issue?
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #66
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
Without re-reading the previous posts....Did you put the old chip back in and evaluate the oil issue?
He can't I believe it was over written with the new stuff
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #67
XfireZ51

Where did the chip come from? Was it supposed to allow for moving the IAT?
If you move the IAT forward, and if the calibration does not compensate for that, the ECM will always see a lower Intake Air Temp causing it to richen the mixture. Frankly I think you're giving up too easily IMO. I would definitely look at unbolting the IHs. Pretty easy and easy to put back together.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #68
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
He can't I believe it was over written with the new stuff
Yes, I think that is what he wrote. If it were a stock displacement and configuration LT5 then a standard chip as issued from GM would work as a baseline for isolating the issue. As it is someone will need to spend the time and/or $ to get to the bottom of the smoke issue.
My gut says it ain't the chip though. Something happened during one of the mods such as has been mentioned, a void in a gasket or ??????

Mark, have you tried running the car with the oil at the ADD line of the dipstick?
That is, wait overnight and check the oil. Is it at the ADD line?
If so,. go for a drive, see if it burns oil at the same rate.
I say this because that is what I do and it lowered consumption drastically. I only add when the level goes below the line.

I just remembered this. Some burning on my car is normal since it is a 90 and does not have exhaust valve seals (by design). By running ~1qt low the consumption is lowered. On average I go through a qt every four tank fills IF there has
been a lot of WOT.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 04-11-2014 at 04:55 PM.
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #69
G8nightman

Where in NJ are you? Do you want to sell the car?
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #70
LGAFF

Dominic you have a copy of my chip from the 91 368 that I have.....this is the same chip he is running. I thought he called you
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote