ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-18-2013   #61
Dynomite

Default Re: Plenum pull advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
I am debating if i should put a newer style condenser or add a fan to my system while I have it open during my a/c compressor rebuild, besides new orings and Orfic tube and accumulator. I live in south tx and we hit well in to the 100s for long periods. I've hear the r134 systems have more fins per inch.

Dave
Whatever you decide I am recharging my A/C with new Accumulator/drier with R12. The A/C ran very cool before and would easily handle your tx temps I am sure A/C Vacuum Pump and Oil.
R12 compared to R134a and Recharging R12

It is your Engine Coolant System I would be more concerned about with tx temperatures (specifically Stop and Go traffic)

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-21-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #62
mgbrv8

Dose the zr1 have a orfice tube in the a/c system and were? When I have the system open I Am going to replace the accumulator, Change the high pressure and low pressure switches with new ones, Flush the entire system, Rebuild the AC compressor, Straighten the fins on the condenser, And replace all the O-rings And then vacuum it down and check for leaks And then pressurize it with nitrogen and check for leaks. Can anyone think of anything that I'm missing On a complete r12 overhaul and re-installation??

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #63
Dynomite

Quote:
Dose the zr1 have a orfice tube in the a/c system and were? When I have the system open I Am going to replace the accumulator, Change the high pressure and low pressure switches with new ones, Flush the entire system, Rebuild the AC compressor, Straighten the fins on the condenser, And replace all the O-rings And then vacuum it down and check for leaks And then pressurize it with nitrogen and check for leaks. Can anyone think of anything that I'm missing On a complete r12 overhaul and re-installation??

Dave
There is a screen with "O" ring sitting in the vertical tube (high pressure side) of the evaporator.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #64
VetteVet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
There is a screen with "O" ring sitting in the vertical tube (high pressure side) of the evaporator.
Cliff's got it right. If you break the fitting where the high pressure line(small diameter one) goes into the bottom of the evaporator housing, you will find the orifice tube down inside the line on the evaporator side. You can grab the little plastic tab with a pair of needlenose pliers and wiggle/twist the orifice tube/screen out.

Jep
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #65
mgbrv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Cliff's got it right. If you break the fitting where the high pressure line(small diameter one) goes into the bottom of the evaporator housing, you will find the orifice tube down inside the line on the evaporator side. You can grab the little plastic tab with a pair of needlenose pliers and wiggle/twist the orifice tube/screen out.

Jep
Thank you gentalmen I'm going to order a new ofice tube tomorrow and have it ready. In your opinions am I missing anything important not only with the a/c but with any of the other systems under the plenium. I just don't want to neglect anything under there.

Dave
Old 03-22-2013   #66
scottfab

Quote:
Thank you gentalmen I'm going to order a new ofice tube tomorrow and have it ready. In your opinions am I missing anything important not only with the a/c but with any of the other systems under the plenium. I just don't want to neglect anything under there.

Dave
A quick check of all fasteners under there wouldn't hurt. I found several loose bolts on the oil vapor housing. I used lock tight on the loose ones.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #67
mgbrv8

Okay guys sorry its been a while its been hectic again I got my water pump on and most of the silicon hoses attached now for the ac system. I removed my compressor and broke open all the line as to replace all the orings. The compressor was actually leaking from one of the bolts that holds the whole assembly together that are located under the clutch so that means the copper crush washers were leaking. I flushed all the line with ac flush and remove my schrader valves and capped them to keep any moisture or contaminants out also and I cleaned up my compressor.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0640.jpg (78.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0641.jpg (86.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0644.jpg (34.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0642.jpg (110.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0646.jpg (76.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by mgbrv8; 03-26-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2013   #68
mgbrv8

Its very important to get your compressor as clean as you can because when you break it open in needs to be as sterile as possible. Its also important to find some tight fitting plugs that fit in the compressor ports as to keep moisture and debree out of the compressor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0648.jpg (46.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0649.jpg (56.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0650.jpg (54.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0653.jpg (35.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by mgbrv8; 03-26-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2013   #69
scottfab

It's also a good idea to date and initial the outside case of the compressor for future reference.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #70
mgbrv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
It's also a good idea to date and initial the outside case of the compressor for future reference.

Good point Scott

Dave