ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-13-2010   #71
tomtom72

Default Re: Anyone with StainlessWorks headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Tom....I have to admit to you.....in CA we suffer exactly like you in NY and those emission inspections in CA are expensive (been there and done that). I register all my vehicles in SD as I spend time both places and claim that as my residency

In SD no one even looks at the car or truck for anything and licensing is dirt cheap

If I had to add Air Induction to my SW headers it prolly would be less sightly to come into each header (with the smallest tubes that would pass emissions) from underneath between the engine and header (again....I think the Air Induction system is only for cold starts and the Air Induction valve is only open on a cold engine and since your engine is warm at emmisions checking....should be no emissions issue without that system....unless of course there is a rule on modifications and the emissions inspectors know a bit about what is or is not on stock Zs).

Having to modify those clean looking headers would be a BIG bummer for me
Cliff, I envy your residency loop hole! <--- see how green with envy I am!
In the New York suburbs our emission's inspectors have FSM diagrams of what equipment is supposed to apply to the car being tested. If they don't find the stuff they will fail the car for equipment violations before they test the actual engine emissions. I have to have all the "junk" hooked up.

I live in an apartment, so no garage to work in. The car lives in a rented garage in another town, but it's a Co-Op so I can't work there either.
I may just bite the bullet & send them back to SSW or Marc to get the EGR tube cut off & sealed and the AIR tubes welded on. I don't know any one local to me that I trust to do all that, or would even know what the AIR tubing needs to look like to fit an LT5 and fit in the car's engine bay. God I hate the smog regulations....like one LT5 is going to cause the ice to melt!

sorry about the rant!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #72
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
God I hate the smog regulations....like one LT5 is going to cause the ice to melt!

sorry about the rant!

Tom
I hear you there and NY or CA emissions regulations would cause a "rant"

I took a 1/2 inch bolt, cut off about 3/4 inch, put one end on a grinder around and around tapering the bolt to the end where I left some threads (grind it before you cut it off). I tapped this into the SW EGR tube for perfect fit.....and just in case....can remove it later on

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-13-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #73
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post
The RH extension piece supplied by SW was too long and did not fit. This creates a major problem as the piece also has a unique compound bend to each end. No one locally had the equipment to modify this piece so we elected to cut the 1 1/2 in too long piece out of the middle, then tig the piece back together. It worked perfectly, though I do not like having a cross cut in this extension piece.

I called SW and asked for some tech suport, and was assured I would hear back within the hour. Four hours later I called again and this time Jim answered. He was not aware of the problem but said he would look into the solution and get back to me. I'm waiting to hear back.

jvd in bg
I had the same problem with the RH lead pipe coming off the cat that Jim mentioned being too long. I called SW with hopes that they had a "new", shorter piece based upon Jim's calls (I've had my set-up since the group buy) but was told they've never heard of a fitment issue.

I've had that piece shortened in the middle locally, but in doing so seem to have lost the slight directional change/bend. We'll figure it out but I wanted to share my experience.
Has anyone else installed the ZR1FACTCAT configuration (with cats using factory connection points) and not had this problem?
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #74
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
There is a vacuum line you need to remove the "T" on and just put a straight coupler on. It is on the driver side fender skirt above the shock tower.
After removing the AIR induction system, I corrected the vacuum line issue Jeff described above.

So, we're left with a connector in this same general location and two more up forward that were disconnected from the pump.

I've wrapped/taped these up and secured them.

Is there anything else related to the AIR system removal to be done that I've missed?

What a pile of sh*t!
Old 03-02-2010   #75
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZ95ZR1 View Post
After removing the AIR induction system, I corrected the vacuum line issue Jeff described above.

So, we're left with a connector in this same general location and two more up forward that were disconnected from the pump.

I've wrapped/taped these up and secured them.

Is there anything else related to the AIR system removal to be done that I've missed?

What a pile of sh*t!

On that vacuum line.......I eliminated the "T" and just moved the "Y" (in front of "T" about 3 inches) back and plugged the "Y" back in where "T" was

32valvZ provided this photo of what you describe

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-14-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #76
ScottZ95ZR1

So, there's nothing left to do but take out the trash?