ACDelco 510-310

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021   #82
Mystic ZR-1

Default Re: Meet Bluey! 1994 #353

Pretty sure I paid only about $8 a piece for the
Short hood struts. Sorry, but can't find the receipt...
I do remember it was from a place I found on the net that only
sells struts etc. Bought rear hatch struts too, way less than Eckler's etall...
Google hatch struts....
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021   #83
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
GM 12333252
ACDelco 510-310

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Pretty sure I paid only about $8 a piece for the
Short hood struts. Sorry, but can't find the receipt...
I do remember it was from a place I found on the net that only
sells struts etc. Bought rear hatch struts too, way less than Eckler's etall...
Google hatch struts....
I ended up buying them from RockAuto for $17 a piece, compared to ~$26 from amazon.

BIG FUN DAY yesterday.

"I'll just take out the radiator to make more space" I said.... "How hard can it be" I said.

Well... not sure how other radiator shrouds are but the top passenger side of the radiator has a coolant line coming out of it headed to the intake manifold. Looks like someone riveted in a plate under that connector preventing me from removing the shroud without removing that coolant hose. So, drain the coolant I did. Theres no mess free way to do this lol

Coolant drain valve in radiator was rusty so it was either all open or nothing.

After that, the shroud was relatively easy to get out. The six 7mm bolts in the lower bumper area were easy to remove, I have a feeling they wont be fun to align and re-install.

But heres some shots of the radiator in then out!

In the process of removing bolts for the radiator shroud, I figured Id likely be able to fish out the fans if I got rid of the A/C line and canister that reside right behind the fans. I was proven wrong once again as there is a bracket holding that canister in place that seems to be track welded onto a crash bar

Either way, now I'll need to recharge the A/C system as well

After everything was out of the way, I mopped up the garage and headed inside for some tea.

Today or tomorrow i'll see about getting the PS Cooler and Rack out. "Should" be relatively easy now. Still having trouble releasing one of the PS Reservoir hoses from under the reservoir. May just cut it and worry about it later.
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021   #84
Prez1967

This picture has been a long time coming:

Making space to get to these three bolts was the real issue... Maybe "real" mechanics have better techniques but it is what it is.

Getting the rack out was another story completely LOL. I actually fished it up and out of the top. Glad I got rid of all those coolant and A/C lines. Not sure if the rack bushings are upgraded but it didnt give much flex and that didnt help much.

What a learning experience! Learned alot about the car, learned alot about myself. Even taught the boys some new curse words in the process LOL

Some carniage. I broke this:

Any idea what it is and where I can get a replacement?

Tips on removing serpentine belt without removing throttle body?

Found this greasy mess also. Need to start cleaning but also need to move on to the actual suspension that I thought was the "main job" of this winters maintenance LOL

All kinds of space in here now. Need to remove the PS Pump and box everything up for a trip to TurnOne. Looks like the pump should slide right out with all this other stuff out of the way. Could it be so easy??
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 03-19-2021   #85
Matt B

I just recently changed the drive belt with throttle body, radiator, dryer, etc in place. Actually it squeezed right out an into the gap between throttle body and A/C pump pulley.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021   #86
Prez1967

Some progress yesterday!!

Whats missing?

Maybe this guy?:

Time to send the rack and the pump out to TurnOne!!

I had removed the three bolts that held the pump to the bracket but since I couldnt separate the PS reservoir from the pump with the bracket in place, I removed the three bracket bolts and with the use of a pry bar, everything came out.

Looks like the bracket fits into another spot on the motor though, not sure how it is retained in there so I just rebolted it back to the motor for now.

Had some carniage though:

Nothing a little JB Weld wont cure LOL

Added a little flavor paying tribute to the island in Greece my Family is from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasos

Now to finally start working on the suspension and other pieces as intended then start cleaning up the engine bay and getting parts together for the reassembly process
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 04-25-2021   #87
Prez1967

Moving right along, even if it seems like a crawling pace....

Front suspension has been removed. Cleaning takes more time than disassembly/assembly (as many others here already know).

The bolts that hold the caliper brackets and caliper to the bracket need some real cleaning up (maybe replacement) but otherwise everything just needs a good cleaning. I started using a wire wheel on the spindles but realized that it wasnt a stainless wheel so I stopped. Time to break out the Dawn dish soap and tooth brushes and get to work. We'll see what it looks like after a couple passes with a scotch brite pad and maybe a coat of clear.

Lower Control Arm bolts are on the way and so is my Power Steering Pump from Turn One! I guess the rack is still getting rebuilt.

Debating if I should replace front hubs at this point (while Im in there) but they seem to be solid... plenty of time before final assembly occurs.

The car drove "fine" before, now with fresh bushings and in tact ball joints it should be transformed!
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 04-25-2021   #88
Matt B

Nice job! Did all front suspension parts come off easily? Which bushings are you using? I will have to replace mine one day and would prefer the buy a complete set of PU bushings that have proven to work for others before...
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021   #89
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Nice job! Did all front suspension parts come off easily? Which bushings are you using? I will have to replace mine one day and would prefer the buy a complete set of PU bushings that have proven to work for others before...
Front suspension parts are cake! I borrowed a GM leaf spring compressor from a local buddy but have yet to use it. May come in handy when the lower control arms are ready to go back on but we will see.

Im using SuperPro bushings from Australia. Had a local shop press them into a spare set of control arms that I bought from a different local member. A ton of Z owners have reported positive results with the SuperPro bushings so Id say its safe to buy with confidence.

The tough parts are coming now. Reassembly of the steering rack/pump and reinstalling all the coolant system and other parts I yanked off to make space lol
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 04-28-2021   #90
Prez1967

Looks like im going to be replacing the hubs "while Im in there" after all...

I didnt realize hubs/bearings for C4s were such a crap shoot (based on the forum chatter I've read from last night).

Im inclined to go with AC Delco as Rock Auto has them for a decent price but still wondering what the X-Tracker setup would offer over stock style replacements...

https://www.detroitspeed.com/x-track...orvette-030602
1994 #353 "Bluey"