ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-26-2019   #1
EvanZR1

Default Big thanks to Steve @ Crossed Flags

Had Steve pick up the car a few weeks ago to fix a few issues and just got it back yesterday. I have to say, it is great to have such a diligent and communicative shop reasonably close (and willing to pick up/return). They worked through all my issues and communicated everything that was happening on a regular basis (sometime multiple texts a day).

General overview of work done:
  • Replace low oil sensor. Had developed a serious leak and was also intermittently coming on even if oil level was fine.
  • AC repair (lot's of issues with the AC system on this car, but I think we're finally good). Dryer, screen o-ring, vacuum leak, fan motor, cleaning evaporator. We all know the AC on these cars is not great, but Steve and his team spent a lot of time chasing down all the issues and making it as good as it can be.
  • Installed catch can. Was having a little bit of oil push through at high rpm and this seems to have solved it.
  • Installed Corsa exhaust. Let me just say, this exhaust is AWESOME! I was worried it'd be too quiet at idle, but with the cams it still has a very nice lope. It's not as deep as the B&B, but that's a trade-off I can live with to get rid of the drone. On the highway, I can now use 6th gear again, which is great! It's not quiet in 6th, you can still hear it, but it's not that super annoying drone of the early B&B. And when you got full throttle, WOW!
  • Lowered coilovers to be even and balanced (1" rake front to rear)
  • Replaced plugs and O2 sensors due to running rich (which Pete did intentionally on base tune to make sure it was safe since he had not had anyone run these cams in a 391 before)
  • Dyno tune: Communicating a lot with Pete on it to make sure it was done right. Since Steve has a Mustang dyno, it's not a straight comparison to previous numbers, but we were up about 20HP from baseline before tuning and AFR is now perfect. He also made a HUGE improvement in <2000rpm drivability. It was drivable before, but had some slight hesitation, now it's like a stock car.
  • On top of that he went through and replaced/repaired anything else he found, including serpentine belt, dip stick tube (to get it to proper angle/position) and pilot bushing on clutch (was causing a knock once warmed up).

At this point, the car is pretty much perfect, and basically fully restored. Full professional repaint in 2017, low mileage donor interior in 2017, 391 engine in 2018, and absolutely everything gone through and working at this point.
Only thing left is I'll probably have a local stereo shop that knows C4s pull the stock Bose system and replace with a modern setup with bluetooth. The stock Bose works, but it's an early 90s Bose system (no highs, no lows...).

Since I've been missing it, decided to take it to work today, and it did great even in some light stop and go traffic. Here's a obligatory pic and a link to the video of it backing out of Steve's trailer:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iQEToyeh5sdKFs1j9
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019   #2
randy ransome

Default Re: Big thanks to Steve @ Crossed Flags

The car looks and sounds great. I sure miss my 368 CI motor.

That color is one of my favorite.

Good Luck with it and hammer down every chance you get.

randy ransome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019   #3
Ccmano

Cudo’s to you and Steve at Crossed Flags.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019   #4
A26B

It's nice to see owners take the time to share their good experiences. Praise for a job well done ranks above money as reward for effort.
Kudos to you both, Evan & Steve!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019   #5
Young1

Great looking car that will stay with or beat many late models. Anyone can own something new. The special people have the “old junk”!
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019   #6
EvanZR1

Yeah, I've had several "modern" sport & muscle cars think they were going to beat up on the old Corvette. Let's just say it didn't turn out the way they thought it would.
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
Old 09-26-2019   #7
EvanZR1

HOLY SH!T!!! The ZR-1 sounds freaking AWESOME with the Corsa, 391 and stage 2 cams at full throttle with the windows down. This thing screams like a cross between a classic American V8 & an angry Ferrari. The drive yesterday was windows up, today was about 90 degrees with windows down, and it's freaking INCREDIBLE!
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
Old 09-26-2019   #8
jss06c6

God bless all of my great friends with ZR-1's. I love these cars! Evan, such an honor to be trusted with your car. It is beautiful and Pete built one heck of a motor. Very, very strong! Get out there and enjoy her!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019   #9
G-Sting

GREAT lookin' Z!!

What does it dyno at?
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019   #10
jss06c6

480 rwhp SAE, 427 rwtq SAE. Mustang MD1100 dyno. Freaking strong. Still building HP at 6900 RPM! Shut down even though Rev Limit set at 7400 rpm. Bad *** motor!

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote