ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-25-2009   #1
secondchance

Default Wilcox Weatherstripping

Has anyone tried these?
On the other forum they are advertising at a very good price. I just have no idea as to their quality.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #2
phrogs

Default Re: Wilcox Weatherstripping

I didn't use them I had thought about it but when it came time I folded and bought GM weatherstrip got it at a discount from our chevy dealer through the register not sure if he is still giving that discount or not.

also look at http://www.corvette-rubber.com/ and price it out there as well.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Might be a parts car not sure yet
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #3
secondchance

Hey, thanks.
Old 12-28-2009   #4
tomtom72

fwiw, I've been collecting the GM stuff a bit at a time. This decision was made after reading most of the w/s threads over at the CF / C4 section. It seems that most of the knock off brands have areas that are not quite 100%. That was my conclusion, fwiw, after doing the reading.

as an example, the rear hatch strip from Wilcox seems to be actually better than the GM piece. The roof & C-pillar stuff seems okay. The door ones had mixed reviews and the A pillar/ windshield one was generally not favored, a compressed thickness issue. I had a hard time locating much on the other two large strips used on the halo bar. Those rival the expense of the A-pillar & hatch strip from GM, up in the $300.00 range.

Another key issue related to "failure" of new w/s seemed to be how well the old adhesive is cleaned up from the retainer strips and other locations. Also the ambient temps and the temp of the w/s when the work is being done could contribute to the ease of the work and the results.

My conclusion was to buy OE for the A-pillar & doors & the halo bar. The rest could be chanced from other sources. fwiw, I was going to use Wilcox also.

1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #5
secondchance

I used non-oem halo weatherstrip and I do regret it.
It seems vertical portion on the rear of the window is too thick/sticky and won't allow window to fully close. I have to grease it with silicone grease periodically.
I was hoping Willcox version would be better but sounds like I may run into same issue.
Thanks for the info. I will just stick it out and replace w/ new GM stuff when I repaint the car - hopefully sometime during 2010...