ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-27-2013   #1
mike100

Default Never ending quest for the best C4 ZR-1 exhaust system- Stainless Works

Been back and forth with a few different pipe combos- but the long story made short is that the 3" all the way back with the SW 3" X-Pipe makes great top end with plenty mid range torque using LS7 cats from a C6 Z06. It is faster than the stock mufflers on 2.7" pipe without cats. It's Freaking Loud, but then running stock muffs catless on longtube headers was a bit obnoxious too. There is drone, I will probably go to turbo mufflers again when I get some more money to spend. Additionally, I really like running catalysts again. Birds don't fall out of trees when you drive by, you don't get dirty looks from the beach hippy in a Prius, and it quiets things down and quells those decel backfires quite a bit. Lastly, I priced various aftermarket bullet cats with a 3" slip connect, but how can you beat factory Cats from a 505 hp car? You can tell it is running clean, the pipes aren't even blacked up yet and there is no odor at all. OEM parts FTW.

I had recently installed some LT5 headers and I found these 2" longtubes that were already setup for air injection. These aren't SW headers, but a mystery brand- maybe made by Morrison Motorsports in GA is the best guess I have so far. Anyhow, they fit perfectly and really woke up the car.

I was running cat-less for a couple of months after the header install (using stock mufflers), but I got tired of my eyes watering every time I pulled up to a stop light with my windows down. Since I had some oem LS7 exhaust that was a stillborn modification on my C6 that I decided to not go through with, I put those nice 3" piped cats to use. They are pretty compact and just fit under the heat shields in the tunnel.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #2
mike100

Default Re: Never ending quest for the best C4 ZR-1 exhaust system- Stainless Works

Notice that we were able to retain the use of the clamping system so the pipes can be separated for service.

Factory air injection still in place. Does this car even have headers?? Stealth- Because California.

Also I got a good lesson in installation technique at my local muffler place. Check out the diff clearance. Perfect 1/4" spacing at rest. My old B&B sure wasn't able to achieve this, but it does have a lot to do with jacking up the center piping in place with a jack of some kind, then tightening the clamps before letting it hang.

more pics:

Old 08-27-2013   #3
mike100

Default Re: Never ending quest for the best C4 ZR-1 exhaust system- Stainless Works

and the pics from the group buy thread:

Old 08-27-2013   #4
FU

Real nice job Mike !

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #5
-=Jeff=-

Those might be Watson headers
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Those might be Watson headers
Concur. I would have had em coated as well but that might have not have been stealth enough for CA

Interesting rear tips really fill out that cutout
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 08-28-2013 at 08:01 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #7
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Concur. I would have had em coated as well but that might have been stealth enough for CA
Interesting rear tips really fill out that cutout
SW started shipping the Exhaust with the SW rectangular single Outlet as I installed recently on my 90' vice SW twin round pipes as I have on my 91'.
I like the looks as the New Style Outlets match the cutout perfectly

Nice Photos Mike and not too many notice the gap between Exhaust and Differential but here is another idea

SW Headers ZR1CORVOR and SW Exhaust ZR1CHAMSW were installed on both the 90' and 91'.

For both the 90' and 91' a Copper spacer was added (1 x 6 inch copper pipe with pipe end caps and pipe coupler) to keep SW exhaust 1/4 inch away from Differential Housing.

Copper spacer added (two each 1 x 6 inch copper pipe
with coupler and end caps) to keep SW exhaust 1/4 inch
away from riding against Differential Housing. The end caps
and coupler actually keep the spacer in place without any ties.

I set the two rear hangers so they pull the exaust up tight against
the copper spacer. Also set the rear "L" hanger so there is freedom
of the exhaust system to move to the rear at least 1/2 inch when hot

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-28-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #8
batchman

Thanks for the tip on the Z06 cats, sounds and looks like a great answer.

Thanks for posting!
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #9
emmvette

That looks like a great set up. Thanks for sharing!

What is the reason for the drone? I've got the drone in 6th at 65-75, which is unfortunately normal cruising speeds. Is it just a resonant frequency?

Is there anything that can change this on an existing set-up? I've got a nice exhaust with headers, so no reason to spend more $ on mine.
Old 08-28-2013   #10
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
That looks like a great set up. Thanks for sharing!

What is the reason for the drone? I've got the drone in 6th at 65-75, which is unfortunately normal cruising speeds. Is it just a resonant frequency?

Is there anything that can change this on an existing set-up? I've got a nice exhaust with headers, so no reason to spend more $ on mine.

I would hazard to guess lack of a resonator
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote