ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-24-2018   #1
Flyman 27

Default Replace hood latch & cable? I thought it would be easy!

I am in the middle of a winter project on my Z. I took the seats out and all the dash & console trim panels out to gain access to problem areas.
I rebuilt the IP/tach with the kit from Batee, that wasn't too bad.
My A/C and heat were inoperable, so I rebuilt the HVAC head unit and control unit while everything was apart. That control unit was still hard to access.
My locking cylinder and pivot pins on the steering column was failing, so I had to replace those. "While I was in there" I decided to replace the rest of the electrical switches on the column as well (cheap insurance). That was impossible without removing the column, so it was out of there. -=JEFF=- helped me disassemble the column since I was lost, just too many little parts.... When removing the tilt mechanism the 2 upper bearings fell apart, so I ordered those too. I guess it was good that the column was removed...
My hood release doesn't work well, the latch sticks open & has to be forced back into the closed position. So While the Bolster panels were out I decided to replace the hood release & cable while they were accessible.
The cable came out ok & the new one went in ok except for the latch end. I just can't figure it out. I can't get my head in there far enough to see the latch fastener, Then there is a metal clip in the way that I believe keeps the cable ends from falling out.
I've tried several tools but I just can't remove the latch handle, such a little thing and it stopped me cold.
Anyone know what kind of screw holds down the latch? That info would help.
Plus, anyone know the proper procedure for adjusting the cable? It is nearly impossible to access up in there.
I thought that this was going to be the easy part....

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #2
Flyman 27

Default Re: Replace hood latch & cable? I thought it would be easy!

Update: With a bit a dinking around, I figured out that the Dorman latch was not quite made correctly. I had to modify the 2 mounting tabs that fit into slots in the steel mount. A few seconds with a Dremel tool, and it fit perfectly.
Then there is the Dorman hood release cable.... I tried Dorman cables from 3 different sources and all 3 were too short by about 1/2 inch. Another quality product made in China.
Almost everybody sells the Dorman parts, but after a bit of searching I found "Bair's" cables at Ecklers and OEM reproductions at GMpartsdirect.com.
I ordered the GM parts even tho they were $30 more because I have installed faulty cables so many times, I just wanted the issue to be done.

You can't get far enough up under the dash to see the mounting screw holding in the latch. With a mirror I discovered that it is a phillips screw. Which is stupid because all the other dash fasteners are either hex head or torx. Going by feel, you just can't feel what kinda screw it is. NOW it is a hex head.

Cams by Pete
Old 01-29-2018   #3
WARP TEN

Way to go Flyman! You are learning all about the joys of ZR-1 ownership. Remember: it's not a job, its an adventure! But well worth it.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #4
XfireZ51

Just imagine the fabulous sense of satisfaction you will have once you are done w it.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018   #5
Flyman 27

The GM cable asm came in finally. It took one try to get it installed and with a minor adjustment, it fit perfectly and works perfectly! I guess sometimes it just doesn't pay to use the cheaper parts.

Cams by Pete
Old 02-14-2018   #6
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman 27 View Post
The GM cable asm came in finally. It took one try to get it installed and with a minor adjustment, it fit perfectly and works perfectly! I guess sometimes it just doesn't pay to use the cheaper parts.

Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters!
Make that 5 or 10 AMENS!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote