ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-11-2013   #21
8cam

Default Re: Daily driving a ZR-1

Daily driving update. Got about 17mpg on my drive into the city in the morning, which is a mix of neighborhoods and traffic. Then I left Atlanta in five o'clock traffic yesterday afternoon, stop 'n go for a while until I cleared the city, and then headed south. 250 miles later I arrived in Thomasville averaging 25.5mpg, not bad at all. Nearly as good as my former M3 and a bit better than the 308 gets on the same trip. It would have been over 26 but those south GA back roads are too tempting.

One thing for sure, I HAVE to upgrade the headlights. These old sealed beam blob lights are just pathetic, and downright dangerous in the rain. I've got new E-code H4s on the way, will be a huge improvement.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #22
RHanselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
In heavy traffic I actually wish 1st was a little shorter, but in normal driving and mountain running it's excellent.
4:10's make the around town driving much better/fun...

Coil-overs for a daily driver I do not recommend. I love them on the track but hate them around town...
Founding Member #80
CM Lifetime Member #1093

1991 #383 Twin Turbo
1993 #099 Ruby, Jeal 368 w/Snake Skinner body
1961 White with Red Int
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #23
fletchusmc

I've had mine for just over 3 weeks now and drive it every chance I get! This car is just unbelievable. First gear still feels a little strange but second on up seems to be the really fun part! I'm starting to see why everyone pushes 4.10 gears. Very happy to live in an area that gets no snow and road salt, tired of the rain though.
fletchusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #24
8cam

Taken me a while to make this post, a little depressing. Got an update, won't be DD the Z any time soon. There was a mishap and the right side head gasket is blown. Hopefully the damage is limited to the gasket because it was shut down quickly...big puddle under the car. It's now at my brother's shop in Tallahassee where we'll take our time and get the job done right. I didn't plan on digging this deep into a ZR-1 this soon, but there you go. The engine will come out, off with the heads, and new stuff going back in. Right now my thoughts are new head gaskets, intake gaskets, skim the heads, and check the valve train for anything questionable. It's possible I'll consider some mods since the engine is out, but more likely we'll put it back together stock and just enjoy it for a while. Any WYAIT suggestions?
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-21-2014   #25
edram454

wow, sorry to hear that. What happend that blew the head gasket? was it spirited driving? With 45k miles it seems a bit premature for this to happen. I was shocked to hear this since I was reading all your posts on this thread and all of a sudden lost a head gasket! this kind of stuff makes me worry a bit. this is why I dont redline my car too often. Let me know what you find at your brothers shop. good luck.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #26
We Gone

Mark,

Good luck with the repairs, You may want to think about porting the top end and refinishing it as long as its apart. Dynomite has some great write ups on it. If I can help in any way give me a call.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #27
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
Right now my thoughts are new head gaskets, intake gaskets, skim the heads, and check the valve train for anything questionable. It's possible I'll consider some mods since the engine is out, but more likely we'll put it back together stock and just enjoy it for a while. Any WYAIT suggestions?
Yes......be careful if you are plaining the Heads or doing a valve regrind. Keep an eye on the Operational Limits of the Lifters

See LT5 New Rebuild Issues (Lifters and Camshafts)

As you want to leave it stock I will not mention elimination of Secondaries
But having restored a 90' including restoration of the Secondaries so I can have a functional Power Switch......

I would recommend elimination of TB Coolant (and associated top of Injector Housing Coolant Port to Plenum)

See Item #4 LT5 Eliminated Systems

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-21-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #28
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
wow, sorry to hear that. What happend that blew the head gasket? was it spirited driving? With 45k miles it seems a bit premature for this to happen. I was shocked to hear this since I was reading all your posts on this thread and all of a sudden lost a head gasket! this kind of stuff makes me worry a bit. this is why I dont redline my car too often. Let me know what you find at your brothers shop. good luck.

ed ramos #3028
I wasn't driving, so I can't say for certain how the car was being driven. All I know is it lost the head gasket and puked coolant everywhere. No water in the oil, so it apparently all came out the side and through the tail pipes.
Black/Gray
Old 01-21-2014   #29
edram454

Mark that sounds quite mysterious. all of a sudden, a car pukes the head gasket? A car known for its durability and the hundreds of hours of peak power and peak torque durability tests and it just pukes out the head gaskets?? Well, finding out the real reason as to why your car blew the head gaskets isnt going to get it fixed but I would be very careful letting that last person who was driving it while the gaskets blew drive it again.

sorry to hear that Mark. your z will ride again.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #30
Kevin

it's very rare that a zr-1 will pop a head gasket...all the ones I can think of have been related to nitrous use or the wrong coolant. Was the coolant in your car green or orange?

Normal driving, up to and including a few pulls to redline wouldn't do this. somethings fishy here