Yokohama 4 1.26%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2016   #141
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Which brand of street tires are you running on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
I just put on a set of Toyo R888's. They're quite sticky in the dry, they hang right in there on the on-ramps, but I haven't been in the rain with them yet.
As you can see, they look great.
They may have saved my *** as I was cruising up US-1 yesterday, near the bridge over the Port of West Palm Beach. A (99'?) Firebird was playing with me and tailgating. When I reached the steep part of the bridge I nailed in in second, it hooked and felt great.
But just as I reached the top of the overpass, at speed, there was a large roll of rug, as big as a refrigerator in my lane. I flicked it left near the guard rail and squeezed by. The Firebird wasn't so lucky, he freaked and spun a 180 into the other lane slamming into the right retaining wall of the bridge.
I turned around and came back to check on him. He was already out of the car and on the phone. The wife and a three year old kid were in the front seat. "We're ok, they yelled" Wheeew! Thank you Toyos! I don't like doing donuts 150ft. over the channel
That reminds me of a similar situation; me driving my 95 C4 on new BFG KDs with a "moostang" tailgating me as we entered an on-ramp at speed. The KD's are/were fantastic when warm and dry - which it was as I braked and turned toward the apex, downshifted, and then nailed it in 2nd. The 'stang couldn't hold the corner, and slid off the bank into a 6" "pond" of rain water.

BF Goodrich made some killer tires for the 17" wheels back then (2002). But, are they still available? I read a Consumer Reports article back in the late '00s where the author said the "KD" must stand for "Killer (when) DRY". (No longer available in our sizes, however.)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #142
PostmanZ

Tough to go wrong with BFG, Goodyear or Michelin. I've ran em all and have had excellent results with those 3.
Old 03-31-2016   #143
RussMcB

I've been really impressed with my Goodyear GS-D3. I've run them on the race track twice (not really by choice). They handled great and the tread held up well. It's always a little iffy to run street tires on the track (especially when they cost a lot new and you want them to last long), but these surprised me. I have track-only Nitto tires and they are faster, but not necessarily more fun.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]

Last edited by RussMcB; 03-31-2016 at 11:41 AM.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #144
dredgeguy

Michelin Pilot Sport 2's, done 11,000 miles and 80% left to go. Sure after MR4 they will take a hit....

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #145
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
That reminds me of a similar situation; me driving my 95 C4 on new BFG KDs with a "moostang" tailgating me as we entered an on-ramp at speed. The KD's are/were fantastic when warm and dry - which it was as I braked and turned toward the apex, downshifted, and then nailed it in 2nd. The 'stang couldn't hold the corner, and slid off the bank into a 6" "pond" of rain water.

BF Goodrich made some killer tires for the 17" wheels back then (2002). But, are they still available? I read a Consumer Reports article back in the late '00s where the author said the "KD" must stand for "Killer (when) DRY". (No longer available in our sizes, however.)
Those BFG-KD's are the tires that I had on the car, before I bought the Toyos. They were great in the dry and just ok in the wet. They were also in really great shape 4 years after I bought them (except for the rears ).
So this time I went even softer, and these R888's are really sticky goobers. By the seat of the pants the car feels planted as well as with the BFG Drag Radials in the dry.
I'd bet that, for street tires, they'd turn a pretty good 60ft. time. But at 25yrs. old I don't hammer the old Z much anymore.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016   #146
George Maz

Default Michelin Pilot Sport 335/35ZR17... 275/40ZR17

For my stock OEM 1990 ZR-1 "Salad Shooters"
Just received new rears Michelin PS 335'steamrollers, 3715-3815 date codes...last production run, get them before the Viper guys buy them all up.
Pre-ordered fronts 275 upcoming production run for 2016.
Total of $1309, excellent seller from CorvetteForum "StickyV35" He can get them, tire shops can't.

...can't wait to delete pressure sensors.

...can't wait for the Fikse Dymag Gen ll wheels to be made, I'll use the same seller for 18/19 Michelin SS.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727

Last edited by George Maz; 06-01-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: price increase prior to delivery
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016   #147
Kevin

looks like I'm stuck with Nitto, can't afford the gsd3's and there's no other viable option. Not real happy with the choice but it's all I have. If 18" wheels weren't $5,000 I'd go that way.
Old 05-29-2016   #148
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
looks like I'm stuck with Nitto, can't afford the gsd3's and there's no other viable option. Not real happy with the choice but it's all I have. If 18" wheels weren't $5,000 I'd go that way.
What's your beef with the Nittos? I just bought my third set of 555 and 555Rs for my 500+ FBI ZR-1 because of my experiences with them on the drag strip AND in the twisties (just fresh from the MR4). With the exception of rain performance when they are at the end of their life, the performance has been excellent. What'not to like?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-29-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #149
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
What's your beef with the Nittos? I just bought my third set of 555 and 555Rs for my 500+ FBI ZR-1 because of my experiences with them on the drag strip AND in the twisties (just fresh from the MR4). With the exception of rain performance when they are at the end of their life, the performance has been excellent. What'not to like?
last set of cheap tires I put on a car ruined the driving experience so much I almost sold the car. I worry about that happening again.
Old 05-30-2016   #150
32valvesftw

I'm Happy with my Nittos, as Paul said they perform well in most conditions. I admit more choices would be nice.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote