ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Audio/Electronics

Old 06-21-2007   #1
Greybeard ZR1

Default Re: IPOD install

I'm also interested in knowing if you can directly wire an Ipod to the stock Bose in my 91'.

I tried numerous adaptors in my 03' Suburban, but they didn't sound very good. So I had it directly wired in at a local car audio shop (around $300.00 for wiring harness adaptor and labor). Wow!, big difference, crystal clear sound.
I'm no audiofile, but from my experience the FM units i've tried are sub-standard sound.

So have any of you guys had a direct connection installed in your stock Bose audio system?
91' ZR1 #1236
Greybeard ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007   #2
4DSZR1

TTT
4DSZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #3
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard ZR1
I'm also interested in knowing if you can directly wire an Ipod to the stock Bose in my 91'.

I tried numerous adaptors in my 03' Suburban, but they didn't sound very good. So I had it directly wired in at a local car audio shop (around $300.00 for wiring harness adaptor and labor). Wow!, big difference, crystal clear sound.
I'm no audiofile, but from my experience the FM units i've tried are sub-standard sound.

So have any of you guys had a direct connection installed in your stock Bose audio system?
The short answer is no. You would need to replace the factory Delco bose unit with something else. You can hardwire the ipod in the assessory plug for charging for the IPOD underneath the console but you will still need a FM transmitter interface. Lets face it your trying to interface late 80S technology with 2003 and up technology its just isnt going to work.

My Transpod which is a FM Transmitter and power cradle which I bought of EBAY for $30.00 works well with the delco. The transpod has a fine tunning button on the unit that allows you to find a non transmitting station. Most radio owners forget in the corvette to turn off the AUTO tune feature which will allow you to dial in a frequency not being used and get a good signal. If you leave the auto feature on guess what the radio will only tune to another radio signal thats broadcasting.

I had the well "duh" moment when I too said wow this unit is a piece of Chit but realized what I was doing wrong. When I drove my fathers 96 CE from KY to AZ believe me fellows it works very well. Only issue you might have is when you drive into another state that freqency might be used by another State so all you need to do is fine tune again. Hope this helps. Goldcylon
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #4
WB9MCW

WORKS GREAT ONLY $20 --- USE IT IN MY BOAT-VETTE AND T-BIRD

A great way to listen to your iPod or other portable audio device, this innovation plugs your portables into your car’s in-dash cassette player. It works with your MP3, CD, or cassette player, and with your PC or laptop to deliver high-quality sound on the road—anywhere you go. The Adapter reduces noise by automatically maintaining the correct tension within the cassette deck as you drive, so you get an outstanding mobile audio performance.
Lifetime Warranty
Features

* Fits front- and side-loading cassette players
* Allows easy placement of your audio player with 4 ft. cable
* Includes a 3.5mm connector
* Plugs into your iPod, MP3, CD, cassette player, PC, or laptop
* Features inner-magnetic and shake-resistant design
* Comes with a Belkin Lifetime Warranty

Specs

Color: WHITE

Cassette Adapter for iPod

Part # F8V366-APL $19.99
Add to cart
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 08-19-2007 at 04:29 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #5
FU

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yaW7Qlq...ch=ipod+to+car

This should do it.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #6
RiceEatingZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2
I don't think it will it says "The CAS GCAD7i cable works with select 2002-up General Motors vehicles." However I was thinking that the CD changer port on the radio would be the way to go. Currently I am using the tape deck. but I hate seeing all the cables running everywhere. I am looking into get rid of my cup holders and making a custom holder for the IPOD and still beable to put the lid over it. however if I can't hook up the IPOD to a stock Radio there might not be a point to it.
1991 Charcoal Metallic ZR1 #730
[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649606"]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649606[/URL]
[URL="http://community.webshots.com/user/shaun91zr1"][/URL]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/RiceEatingZR1/Forum%20Sig/Sig1.gif[/IMG]
RiceEatingZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #7
cuisinartvette

Have to look into this..I have a Kenwood (have to get the model #) head unit/EQ/Amp and a hidden CD changer in rear. Id liek to eliminate the CD changer as I never use it and use an IPOD.

Keep the tips coming.
Old 06-05-2008   #8
UncleRobin

Sorry I am a little late to the party, but here is a little info under the heading it can be done (direct audio input from an iPod or other MP player into the Factory Bose).

In a nutshell, it is a modification that disables the cassette tape player and uses that input for the iPod. I did this mod to a 1990 (that I no longer have) and thought it worked well and sounded great.

It has been a couple years since I did the modification and I don't recall all the exact details, but I can give an overview to what was done. First of all you need to be somewhat handy with electronics. Two pieces of the Bose system get modified; the head unit and the tuner module.

The tuner module, which is under the passenger side dash (at least in a 1990), has line-level L/R audio inputs on the circuit board. There are no jacks per se, (maybe a pin connector, I can't remember) so I added a pair of female RCA phono connectors to it. Essentially I soldered a L/R RCA pigtail to the circuit board. Voilà a line-level input I could use.

That input becomes active either when a CD or cassette is played. Obviously one wouldn't want to play a CD or cassette at the same time as an iPod, which is where the second mod comes in. If you "engage" the tape player without a cassette tape in the player, the new aux audio input becomes active and thus you can play the iPod with only the iPod audio coming through the system. Long story short, with the tape engaged, the drive motor runs. Either the drive motor made too much noise or the player didn't like playing without actually having a tape, or maybe both, I can't recall; so I disconnected the drive motor or removed the belt. Again I can't remember exactly what I did, but I disabled the cassette drive in a somewhat non-destructive way that could be easily reversed. For some reason I am thinking that simply putting in an empty cassette shell into the player didn't work.

If you have a Bose system and really want a clean direct iPod input, there should be enough hints here to get you pointed in the right direction. Again you should be fairly electronic savvy to tackle this project. Standard disclaimer: I merely provided this info as it can be done as I did it and thought it worked well - YMMV. If you try it and think it sucks and/or your car blows-up, don't bitch at me.

UR
UncleRobin is offline   Reply With Quote