ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-15-2018   #1
TX '90 ZR1

Default An Observation for what it's worth:

Posting this because I have recently noticed some new purchasers of C4 ZR-1’s who may not be aware of the intricacies of this wonderful vehicle. I notice confusion on some of the purchaser’s part and see that it can lead to disenchantment with their purchase.
Maybe an opinion from an old been there, done that, have the T-shirt guy can help make their experience an enjoyable one.

I have chimed in on this subject before. The difference in value of identical vehicles depending on whether they have been fully vetted or not.
This applies not only to our ZR-1’s, but can be applied to other cars, airplanes, boats, motorcycles, nearly anything. The specifics are different, but the theory is the same. Do your research. Know what you are buying.
Fortunately, our C4 ZR-1’s have a rather narrow list of common issues. The common issues are readily available to review to anyone who takes the time to do their due diligence before purchase. The resources are also readily available to correct any issues that arise.
As an example, I purchased the ’90 that I currently have several months ago. I did my due diligence, research and opinion gathering. This is not my first rodeo!
I determined the car was solid and had all the right stuff with it. A car that I call “honest”. It had some of the common issues, but nothing that would keep it from being a perfectly good car to give a bath and drive. (The tires were over 5 yrs. old, so this would be the only drawback to putting it to use in my opinion).
Even though I was fortunate enough that the injectors had been changed and a reputable shop had been under the plenum to change the coils and look things over (this in itself is a pretty good chunk of change), I have found it necessary to correct quite a few issues to get the car in top shape.
I do the predominance of the work myself. I enjoy it. If you need to have the work done, get with a knowledgeable ZR-1 savvy shop and expect to be charged accordingly.
Here’s a partial list of what I have done. I don’t believe any of these are unusual for our vehicles.

New battery – Load test on existing battery on the weak side.
New tires – Existing tires over 5 years old.
Repair engine oil leaks – Not much part expense, but a considerable amount of time.
Check and clean all grounding points
New air filter
New radiator cap – Existing cap out of pressure specs
Engine oil & filter – Could not verify specific oil used for recent oil change
Transmission fluid change
PCV fitting – Common source of oil leakage
New fuel filter
New clutch slave cylinder – Existing original showing signs of seeping
New clutch hydraulic line – Replaced due to age. Existing was original
New back up light switch
New rear hatch weatherstrip
New in-tank fuel hoses, fittings & clamps due to pressure leakage
New fuel pumps – Existing pumps checked OK, but replaced due to unknown age
Hood and fuel door emblems replaced due to red on originals fading
Radio control module (DCM) repaired
All 4 speaker/amp assemblies repaired

There is also time spent just looking and checking. Put a wrench on all the bolts and nuts. Our cars are 25-nearly 30 years old. A good check over is in order.
I still have items on my list to correct. Seat bladders, the CD player is inop and I should add a drain to the differential. Sure others will come along as time passes.
As a recap. The C4 ZR-1 is one of the best performance values available on today’s market. Depending on what you are looking for, a serviceable driver can be had at a very reasonable price point. A no issue car will, of course, demand a higher price.
As mentioned above, do your research. Know what you are buying!

Now let’s all go drive ‘em like we stole ‘em !!
If you don’t hit redline every drive, you’re not doing it right.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #2
carter200

Default Re: An Observation for what it's worth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Posting this because I have recently noticed some new purchasers of C4 ZR-1’s who may not be aware of the intricacies of this wonderful vehicle. I notice confusion on some of the purchaser’s part and see that it can lead to disenchantment with their purchase.
Maybe an opinion from an old been there, done that, have the T-shirt guy can help make their experience an enjoyable one.

I have chimed in on this subject before. The difference in value of identical vehicles depending on whether they have been fully vetted or not.
This applies not only to our ZR-1’s, but can be applied to other cars, airplanes, boats, motorcycles, nearly anything. The specifics are different, but the theory is the same. Do your research. Know what you are buying.
Fortunately, our C4 ZR-1’s have a rather narrow list of common issues. The common issues are readily available to review to anyone who takes the time to do their due diligence before purchase. The resources are also readily available to correct any issues that arise.
As an example, I purchased the ’90 that I currently have several months ago. I did my due diligence, research and opinion gathering. This is not my first rodeo!
I determined the car was solid and had all the right stuff with it. A car that I call “honest”. It had some of the common issues, but nothing that would keep it from being a perfectly good car to give a bath and drive. (The tires were over 5 yrs. old, so this would be the only drawback to putting it to use in my opinion).
Even though I was fortunate enough that the injectors had been changed and a reputable shop had been under the plenum to change the coils and look things over (this in itself is a pretty good chunk of change), I have found it necessary to correct quite a few issues to get the car in top shape.
I do the predominance of the work myself. I enjoy it. If you need to have the work done, get with a knowledgeable ZR-1 savvy shop and expect to be charged accordingly.
Here’s a partial list of what I have done. I don’t believe any of these are unusual for our vehicles.

New battery – Load test on existing battery on the weak side.
New tires – Existing tires over 5 years old.
Repair engine oil leaks – Not much part expense, but a considerable amount of time.
New air filter
Engine oil & filter – Could not verify specific oil used for recent oil change
Transmission fluid change
PCV fitting – Common source of oil leakage
New fuel filter
New clutch slave cylinder – Existing original showing signs of seeping
New clutch hydraulic line – Replaced due to age. Existing was original
New back up light switch
New rear hatch weatherstrip
Radio control module (DCM) repaired
All 4 speaker/amp assemblies repaired

There is also time spent just looking and checking. Put a wrench on all the bolts and nuts. Our cars are 25-nearly 30 years old. A good check over is in order.
I still have items on my list to correct. Seat bladders, the CD player is inop and I should add a drain to the differential. Sure others will come along as time passes.
As a recap. The C4 ZR-1 is one of the best performance values available on today’s market. Depending on what you are looking for, a serviceable driver can be had at a very reasonable price point. A no issue car will, of course, demand a higher price.
As mentioned above, do your research. Know what you are buying!

Now let’s all go drive ‘em like we stole ‘em !!
If you don’t hit redline every drive, you’re not doing it right.
Well said Kenny.

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #3
32valvZ

Default Re: An Observation for what it's worth:

I am very fortunate in that almost every item on your list was addressed before I purchased my Z.... and allot more. I got a great deal from a member here!

New battery – Load test on existing battery on the weak side. DONE
New tires – Existing tires over 5 years old. Not Needed
Repair engine oil leaks – Not much part expense, but a considerable amount of time. DONE
New air filter DONE
Engine oil & filter – Could not verify specific oil used for recent oil change DONE
Transmission fluid change DONE
PCV fitting – Common source of oil leakage DONE
New fuel filter
New clutch slave cylinder – Existing original showing signs of seeping DONE
New clutch hydraulic line – Replaced due to age. Existing was original DONE
New back up light switch DONE
New rear hatch weatherstrip DONE
Radio control module (DCM) repaired DONE
All 4 speaker/amp assemblies repaired DONE