ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-11-2013   #1
pologreenvette

Default Pros and Cons of ZR1 ownership

So I'm seriously planning on buying a ZR1 in about 2 years. I currently drive a 1992 6-speed coupe, polo green with tan interior. I love it, but the ZR1 is my really my dream car, I just love C4's.

I've been trying to figure out if I should go through with this. Some things I was thinking:

Pros:
Rare/Interesting/Cool
Fast
Reliable?
Great Handling
It's a freakin' ZR1!
Permagrin

Cons:
Hard to find parts? I drive my cars hard...
Expensive to buy and maintain?
Hard to find the one I want (must be a 91 or later 6-speed, no red interior, not afraid of high miles)

The ones with question marks I'm obviously not too sure about, that's why I'm here! I'm finding cost to be the only downside of the ZR1 vs my current LT1 Corvette. Is it worth the upgrade? I'm heavily leaning towards yes, but I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into!

Note: I'll be an engineer in a couple of years so I should have some money!
pologreenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: Pros and Cons of ZR1 ownership

My question is, why wait? Your car might be worth $12k-$16k and some very nice ZR1s are available in the low to mid $20s, not too bad a gap to bridge. Personally I would look for one of the '93-'95s, as you can tell from my choices. Rarer and with some engineering improvements over the earlier ones, but the earlier ones might be less expensive depending on condition and miles. No problem with parts; the engine is bulletproof and the rest are just C4 problems with which you are familiar. Many common repair issues are DIY ones, and the availablity of helpful repair information and counsel here is amazing. And don't be afraid of high miles. I sold my '93 with 74,000 miles to a well known ZR-1 enthusiast :-) and it now has more than 100,000 miles. Regardless of whether you wait, many ZR-1s are known to this group and there are many here who will help by finding and evaluating cars for you. Good luck with your search. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #3
QB93Z

The first Corvette I bought was a 1996 LT4, six-speed Collectors Edition. I had been looking at LT4 and ZR-1. I loved the LT4. But, even after I bought it, I kept looking to figure out if the ZR-1 was really better. Then I got to drive a ZR-1. I was hooked. I bought a 1993 ZR-1 just 7 months after the LT4.

My advice is to get in touch with one of the many ZR-1 owners in the Northeast region that post here and they will be glad to give you a ride and probably a test drive.

As to your questions:

Reliable? Yes, in my experience. I have made many long trips in my ZR-1's. The latest was last August, 30 days, 10,000 miles from Maryland to Alaska and back in a ZR-1 with 120,000 miles . No Problems. Keep in mind that ZR-1's are twenty (or so) year old cars. there will be some issues.

Hard to find parts? I don't know of any ZR-1 that is out of commission due to lack of parts. Some parts require effort to track down, but the support and knowledge of the owners here in the Registry is invaluable. There are quite a few parts suppliers like Jerry's Gaskets and Parts who specialize in parts for our ZR-1's

Expensive to buy and maintain? I am sure you understand that you always pay for performance. Most owners don't put bargin store oil in their LT5. ZR-1's cost more than base C4's. But, there are ZR-1's on the market regularly that are a very good value.

Hard to find the one you want? Part of the fun is the search. If you are not in a hurry and use the internet, you will find a nice ZR-1 that meets your needs.

Good luck,

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #4
pologreenvette

Thanks for the help! I can't buy one just yet because I'm still a junior in college and I don't have the money to afford a ZR1. My car is in pretty good shape, but it does have 114k miles. I drive A LOT so when I do sell it, it will probably have 150k on it. I could maybe sell it for what I bought it for, $6,500 (I got a great deal).

The one I REALLY want is a ZR1 that's just like my current car; polo green 6-spd with tan interior. I imagine that's being a bit too picky though...

1992 Corvette M6, bone stock daily driver AND winter car :(
Old 01-11-2013   #5
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by pologreenvette View Post
The one I REALLY want is a ZR1 that's just like my current car; polo green 6-spd with tan interior. I imagine that's being a bit too picky though...
There were 129 Polo Green II ZR-1's built from 1992 to 1995. Of those, 109 had the Lt Beige (Tan) interrior.

Polo Green ZR-1's were about 2.4% of ZR-1's, counting the 1990-91 version of Polo Green

Good Luck,

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #6
WVZR-1

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I can't buy one just yet because I'm still a junior in college and I don't have the money to afford a ZR1. My car is in pretty good shape, but it does have 114k miles. I drive A LOT so when I do sell it, it will probably have 150k on it. I could maybe sell it for what I bought it for, $6,500 (I got a great deal).

Looks like maybe your rear wheels need swapped side to side or since it's a '92MY I guess it could be a "corner swap" RF to LR ! A ZR-1 will correct that issue for you!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-11-2013 at 12:00 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #7
WARP TEN

Quote:
....The one I REALLY want is a ZR1 that's just like my current car; polo green 6-spd with tan interior. I imagine that's being a bit too picky though...
That's exactly what I said, and now I have it. Worth the wait and search. To see some pix, click on my avatar and go to albums. I believe there were 31 green 95s but can't remember how many with Beige interiors. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #8
pologreenvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
That's exactly what I said, and now I have it. Worth the wait and search. To see some pix, click on my avatar and go to albums. I believe there were 31 green 95s but can't remember how many with Beige interiors. --Bob
Wow, your car is exactly what I want, can I have it??
Kidding, I would never give that car up if I had it!

I can't wait to become a part of the brotherhood!

1992 Corvette M6, bone stock daily driver AND winter car :(
Old 01-11-2013   #9
RICKYRJ1

Your a C4 guy why not have the KING of the C4's? I test drove one back in 05 big mistake! Spent the rest of my spare time searching for a ZR-1. Bought one and could not be happier/satisfied more than I am. I have not had 1 issue with my car. Stay on this site and you will see how great the ownership experience will be with this brotherhood. Good Luck with your studies, looks like your parents did a good job, so far
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #10
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post

According to Registry website production was as follows:

Polo Green II:

1994 -

39 Total
35 Light Beige
4 Black

1995 -

31 Total
26 Light Beige
3 Black

Obviously, 26+3 is not 31 so there is a little discrepency there but you get the picture.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote