ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 04-01-2014   #11
mike100

Default Re: Myth BUSTERS!

Rejex sealant/wax seems to last a little longer than just wax. Probably similar to other protective sealants.

Myself, I special order Mother's Synwax FX online because the parts store typically available consumer grade stuff has polish mixed in with the wax since most people aren't machine polishing. I polish separately so all I want is just the wax product. Otherwise it's the same stuff as the commercially available mothers synwax/polish combo.

I think Consumer reports did a test on car waxes and one particular top shelf Turtle Wax was the winner.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Rejex sealant/wax seems to last a little longer than just wax. Probably similar to other protective sealants.

Myself, I special order Mother's Synwax FX online because the parts store typically available consumer grade stuff has polish mixed in with the wax since most people aren't machine polishing. I polish separately so all I want is just the wax product. Otherwise it's the same stuff as the commercially available mothers synwax/polish combo.

I think Consumer reports did a test on car waxes and one particular top shelf Turtle Wax was the winner.
By my own experience in my conditions, AND by watching the trends in car polishes vs. wax over the past 12 years, there has been a migration - at least by some - toward nano-polishes (non-wax "sealants") of various sorts. But, perhaps the exception that seems to clearly stand out in contrast - are cars primarily prepped for show car competitions. For example, the complaint show car people have against non-(carnauba) wax is that wax produces a "glow" as opposed to a "harsh" reflective shine.

There ain't no acid test like BLACK paint! I am currently stuck on Zaino; a nano-polymer finish, as result of large amounts of arduous stripping and waxing and stripping/waxing again (as many as 3 times in a season).

My goal was to get that "wet tar", deep, shiny black look - which I found with Mother's (carnauba) wax. But, the problem was maintenance!! Summer sun on black paint was like flypaper! Pollen, dust (I lived on a gravel road) or fingerprints ... would reek havoc on (wax), whereas the nano-polymer proved to be relatively impervious to all that.

It's a lot of work to choose and apply any particular regime. And, to be done right, a new regime requires starting from scratch - and that can mean days of prep and multiple applications to "get it right". Naturally, once someone finds "IT", they have good reason to resist starting all over again, for the sake of trying something else. I'm guessing that is why this topic seems to produce so many that are adamant about one product or another.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #13
Racinfan83

Yes I'm always willing to try new stuff. As long as its reasonably priced. And much of my BLACK car looks like a deep black mirror - but it has some fine "scratches" here and there that I guess are caused by wiping the dust/pollen off with a microfiber cloth or California Car Duster. I know of no other way to get this stuff off? (Washing isn't an option when u drive it to a show and need to dust it)
I claybarred it last year and waxed by hand with Meguiars Ultimate. I recently got one of the Porter Cable DA machines people have mentioned elsewhere on this site - haven't gotten to use it yet. I got the Meguiars Ultimate polish - guess I will try it on a soft applicator pad on the PC and see what happens....
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #14
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
Yes I'm always willing to try new stuff. As long as its reasonably priced. And much of my BLACK car looks like a deep black mirror - but it has some fine "scratches" here and there that I guess are caused by wiping the dust/pollen off with a microfiber cloth or California Car Duster. I know of no other way to get this stuff off? (Washing isn't an option when u drive it to a show and need to dust it)
I claybarred it last year and waxed by hand with Meguiars Ultimate. I recently got one of the Porter Cable DA machines people have mentioned elsewhere on this site - haven't gotten to use it yet. I got the Meguiars Ultimate polish - guess I will try it on a soft applicator pad on the PC and see what happens....
A spray detailer would work if you need to 'dust' off after driving. Or a spray bottle with a mix of wash/water. Heavy spray and gently wipe with a micvrofibre towel and then spray with a detailer and wipe for the shine and anti-static properties.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #15
rmendoza

Doesn't anyone clean under the hood?

What do you use on the LT5 engine to make that Aluminum shine?
Red on Red C4 Corvette ZR-1 #0827
Cell: 310-561-5653
:salute:
rmendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #16
Racinfan83

rmendoza - there are a couple threads on that here - but basically on the engine itself - elbow grease. Cleaners will destroy the factory finish. Here is one thread: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10039
While some have done it - I personally will not get a water hose near my engine bay. Seen too many issues after someone washed in there - and some even if they were careful. "KILLSHOTS" is having an electrical issue right now after washing it even though he covered the engine with plastic.
I have cleaned my engine bay thoroughly with rags and various things (detail spray, Aerospace 303, etc) I did use a bit of Adams polish on the engine itself. My engine is the one thing on the car that I am not happy with it's cleanliness - but I can't afford to have it professionally refinished. I have won "best in class" at a couple shows so far with it as it is though so it isn't too bad. Just take your time with soap and water and rags - then dress the bay itself with "Trim Shine", Aero 303, or some other shine/protectant you like...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 08-06-2014   #17
efnfast

Oh to live on a paved road.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #18
Racinfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Oh to live on a paved road.
Yeah I hear Ya. Mine hasn't seen a gravel road and I still bust my butt trying to keep "Black on Black" clean. I probably wouldn't own the car if I had to drive on gravel...
Old 08-06-2014   #19
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchusmc View Post
How about Duragloss? I've heard it's comparable to Zaino. I use it because I can get it locally instead of internet only orders.
same stuff as zanio just in a different bottle