ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-06-2024   #11
Vetman

Default Re: A question for the longtime owners.

I?ve owned mine since 2012, so don?t know if that qualifies as long term. I only think of selling when I get my 76 year old body in and out of the z. But the the drive between the in and out convinces me to keep it. I try to drive it once a week.

I made a list of every car I have owned since I was 16. Of the 36 cars 19 were special interest cars which I would love to have back, however had I not sold each I wouldn?t have been able to get the next. Been a gear head since age 6 when my father built me a go cart with a one cyclinder gas washing machine engine and a 1939 Chevy three speed transmission mounted on its side with a pulley/belt welded to the input shaft and a chain gear welded to the output shaft. I was the envy of every kid in the neighborhood!!
2011 cts-v 556 HP, manual 6 speed
1955 chev 2dr ht PP 265 3 speed w/OD
Vetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024   #12
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Hey Bob! Always good to hear from you. I guess I have not thought that far out, but if you ask me this question when I am 70 I'm pretty sure I wont have my Z by then so I totally understand. By then I surely don't want to be cursing at my car and rather just wash, gas, and drive to enjoy. Retirement, retirement is around the corner in little over 90 days so my mindset should change then. I need to get a more geezer appropriate vehicle at some point. Take care and I hope our paths cross again soon. Maybe at Carlisle this year? Aloha!
Hmmmmm. 90 days until retirement, but who's counting? Well once you do retire you will love it. Maybe even get a chance to come over and visit us in the states. For seven years in what I call my "early retirement" period I sold BMWs for a local dealer and had a lot of fun (but earned very little money). Then fully retired in 2014 and have enjoyed it all the time. And knowing you I am sure you will continue you involvement in cars. And you can still have fun with them. After all, my "geezer appropriate vehicle" has 650 HP, 650 ft. lbs. of torque and according to GM does 0-60 in 2.95 seconds. With its automatic, it is my daily driver most of the summer. Last year the Z06 came down April 1 and didn't go up for its winter nap until November1. I put 5,000 miles a year on it and just run it through a car wash when needed. No strain at all, except maybe getting in and out. When that gets too tough, maybe it will be time.... But for the moment it comes down off the lift as soon as I get back from a couple weeks in Florida. Aloha!--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 03-08-2024 at 07:33 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024   #13
tccrab

I've owned my '90 ZR-1 for over 20 years now.
In that time I've put less than 9,000 miles on it.
Every time I drive it I risk serious jail time.
That being said, it's the funnest car I've ever owned.
I was raised in a car dealership, my dad ran a Toyota dealership in the 70's and the 80's.
My older brother and I got to pick and choose from all the cars that people traded in during the original OPEC oil crisis.
I've had the pleasure of owning nearly all the muscle cars you could think of.
Something would come into the lot, I'd say, Cool!!!, buy it, drive it for a while until the next would come in, I'd sell the first and move into the next.
Never had a Hemi though, always wanted one but never had the opportunity (nor the cash, but that's another story).

Both of my boys have asked who gets the ZR-1 when I'm gone.

I've told both of them they'd have to pry the keys out of my cold stiff fingers.

I'm pretty sure they understand.
;-)

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024   #14
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
I've owned my '90 ZR-1 for over 20 years now.
In that time I've put less than 9,000 miles on it.
Every time I drive it I risk serious jail time.
That being said, it's the funnest car I've ever owned.
I was raised in a car dealership, my dad ran a Toyota dealership in the 70's and the 80's.
My older brother and I got to pick and choose from all the cars that people traded in during the original OPEC oil crisis.
I've had the pleasure of owning nearly all the muscle cars you could think of.
Something would come into the lot, I'd say, Cool!!!, buy it, drive it for a while until the next would come in, I'd sell the first and move into the next.
Never had a Hemi though, always wanted one but never had the opportunity (nor the cash, but that's another story).

Both of my boys have asked who gets the ZR-1 when I'm gone.

I've told both of them they'd have to pry the keys out of my cold stiff fingers.

I'm pretty sure they understand.
;-)

'Crabs
Cars have come and gone through my life. I am like you Crabs-I have had a lot of sports, antique and high performance cars, now down to just the Z06. I did have the opportunity to own a '68 Hemi Roadrunner, though, and I assure you it was indeed fun. Bought it used from a friend's cousin. Drove it from New York to LA and had it for two years there, but as a young kid just out of college, I naturally ran out of money and had wholesale it when I was down to just one six pack of beer in the fridge. But I will never forget being at a stoplight on Wilshire Blvd when a car load of teens pulled up with their noses pressed against the window and pointing at the word "HEMI" on the hood. Ran it at Lions Dragway and trapped a 13.5/105 on Firestone Wide Ovals. A real blast. I miss my ZR-1s as much as the Hemi.--Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlymouthHemiRoadRunner1968 (4).jpg (65.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PlymouthHemiRoadRunner1968 (2).jpg (65.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg PlymouthHemiRoadRunner1968 (1).jpg (92.1 KB, 23 views)
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 03-08-2024 at 07:55 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024   #15
Karl

I have thought about getting a C6 ZR1 but ever since the engine upgrade I really have not thought about selling it much.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*

Last edited by Karl; 03-12-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024   #16
XfireZ51

This is my second ZR since 2007 having owned this one now since 2010. The chassis has 165k on the ODO but literally everything underneath and engine has about 55k or less on it. It pretty much has all the upgrades I can think of while still keeping a stock displacement. It is a blast to drive. In previous times I have sold the car after I have been done ?evolving? it. Would love a C8, but my interest in having a ME car with DOHC, puts it out of financial range. Maybe in a few years used C8 Zs will become affordable. Although honestly the new Vettes especially C7 and C8 are as big as sedans. So used Cayman is a possibility.
Altho something like this w an LT5 or MMR SB-4 would be a total blast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1946.jpg (81.5 KB, 20 views)
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 03-08-2024 at 02:12 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024   #17
rufcar

I acquired my 90 Z this time last year on a whim. I, like others here, have had a lot of cars 101 last count. I have been restoring them a long time but more so since retirement in 2010 (I'm 74) When I get 10 -12 cars or not driving them then they go. Last spring I sold 3. Then won best in show at our national Rolls meet and immediately sold the Bentley. I bought a 65 GTO I'm finishing and the 90 ZR-1. It had many upgrades 100 more HP a zf doc gear box and the owner was a GM wrench, so everything was new. I fixed the a/c and went back to r12. repaired the frame sensors painted both bumpers found all the missing items including a NOS set of salad spinners and waiting for that special windshield to make it 100%. I have driven it appox 1500 miles or more since last spring and love it as its just darn cool and different. In the collection I have an 08 Z06 Wil Cooksey and an all original 427 66 4 speed with most every option. I am now jonesin for a 2019 Zr-1 and either the z06 or the 66 will go as it will again be to many cars but the 90zr1 will stay. I do not like the center engine cars. at 180 lbs and 6ft tall i do not fit comfortably. I have a good pal who recently bought a new z06. He told me the other day he just does not like it. Though he did buy a 2019 ZR1 with 1100 hp and loves that along with his huge collection of vetts.
I guess it just a personal thing like women, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024   #18
zyal8r

Hi Jeff - I've been around CF for 25 years (with my LT4 for 23 of those years) and although I only started posting here when I bought my ZR-1 in August, 2021, I guess I have some longevity with these cars. I won't sell my LT4 and I will not sell my ZR-1. I know I would absolutely regret it.

My dad traded cars frequently, and honestly I lost track of how many, but I recall most of his cars, including 14 Corvettes. There were always some special ones he wished he had back... including his '68 Charger R/T (who doesn't), a couple of the Corvettes, Street Hemi, to name a few. I swore I would never say "I wish I hadn't sold that one," within reason. I miss my '95 Z28 and my '98 5.9 Grand Cherokee, but I had to make some choices with each of those. My LT4 and ZR-1 are extremely special to me for a variety of reasons.

Only you know how important your car is to you. A lot of people say "it's just a car," but I attach memories to them. I took my dad with me to buy my LT4, that was truly special. We talked about ZR-1s for many years and he never got one. Mine was partially for that reason, and partially something I'd wanted since the early '90s before I could drive. Both were an honest goal stemming from that special poster of the yellow '72 Corvette I had on my desk ever since I could remember.

Not sure this helps, but, I'd say, go to great lengths to keep it if it brings you joy.

Mike
1995 ZR-1 #004 - Yellow/Black
1996 LT4 #3828 - Yellow/Beige/LT4/Z51 - 1 of 4
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024   #19
DRM500RUBYZR-1

A loaded question if ever there was one.

We tend to obsess over our toy cars.
We drive them infrequently.
We try to keep them perfect in every way, which plays a major role in their propensity to stay garaged.
Now there are exceptions to the above, but usually measured in degree as opposed to opposite use.
Much of the "FUN" has to do as much with the care as it does with the driving.

To utilize a Toy Car as a daily driver is the dream of many.
Some do and love it.
Others try and hate it.
They can't stand the dirt, the risk when parked and the overall heightened worry about their special toy.
Heck, I and others are that way with our daily driver that is not a specialty car, and this ramps up significantly if the car is new or special.

In the mid 90's, I drove my first ZR-1 (now Charlie Dredge guys beauty) as a daily driver. I loved it, sort of..................
Not real comfortable in a suit.
Don't roll the window down on a rainy day unless you want to look like you peed.
Fear of theft, damage, gawkers riding your tail at 80, and every delinquent young or old wanting to race all of time anywhere.
But the worst?
Waking up Saturday morning and seeing the dirt and now having to spend hours trying to restore perfection, only to go through it all again the next week.
Such use eventually simply sucked the fun out of the equation.

I have helped many sell their c-1 to c-6 to buy a C-7 or a C-8.
If they drove the earlier car as a toy, many missed having the perfect toy, even though they found the new car to be so technically superior to the older one.

Now, everyone is different, but the ideal solution seems to be, keeping your "toy" and adding a "newer" daily.
Now the newer daily can be a 140k Z06, or it can be a C-5 costing 15k, a C-6 costing 30k, or a C-7 or C-8.
But some of those end up with two "toys". I did. Mistake.

We always think the "new" car brings new fun.
Sometimes it just does not after the initial glow is gone.

My Malibu daily with every feature available is a VERY pleasant daily driver.
I don't have to dive down into it or pull myself up out of it. The sound system humbles that of my ZR-1, the cross traffic alert is great as are all of the other aids and gadgets.
Sure I could get all of that on a c-7 or C-8 but it comes with (guilt?) of daily drives and the feeling that I am not caring for the car the way I want to.

Keep the ZR-1.

Buy and try a toy daily.
A HIPO late model Mustang, A CTS Blackwing, or even an older Chevrolet SS might also be a consideration as they are all MUCH easier to get in and out of and yet can still put your eyeballs in the back of your head whenever you desire.

I hope this helps some of you.

I tended to get LOTS of calls from guys and gals that sold their older toys and found out they missed them and sort of regretted letting them go.........
and looked for another.....................
and so it goes.......

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024   #20
XfireZ51

Marty,

If I bought a C8 I know I would?t be wrenching on it. The ZR is one of the last generations that a ?shade tree? guy like me can play w and modify. That is certainly a big part of the fun.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote