ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-12-2011   #1
SteelBlueZR1

Question Brass vs. Plastic Headlight Motor Gears?

My 1991 ZR1 with 4k miles p/s headlight is doing the wink thing and running after turned off... so it is time for new gears/bushings.

When replacing gears and bushings in headlight motor, what are the + and -'s of plastic vs. brass gears. What kit do you recommend for the 1991 ZR1, so this will be a lifetime fix?
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #2
rhipsher

Default Re: Brass vs. Plastic Headlight Motor Gears?

If its making the Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk noise then its most likely that you just have to replace the 3 9/16 dia x .425 long plastic pieces that have crubled that sit inside th gear. You can pic them up at any auto parts store in the window regulator section for $9.00 a set. You should'nt have to replace the gears. But Id go with brass if I ever had to replace the gears.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #3
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
If its making the Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk noise then its most likely that you just have to replace the 3 9/16 dia x .425 long plastic pieces that have crubled that sit inside th gear. You can pic them up at any auto parts store in the window regulator section for $9.00 a set. You should'nt have to replace the gears. But Id go with brass if I ever had to replace the gears.
Tried a local auto parts and they hadnt a clue...

Any place you recommend and or a part number for the plastic bushings?

Thanks

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #4
VetteMed

I've been told that you can buy em in home depot/lowe's in the hardware aisle... never looked, I just bought mine on ebay for a few bucks.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #5
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
Tried a local auto parts and they hadnt a clue...

Any place you recommend and or a part number for the plastic bushings?

Thanks

David
They are not going to know anything about it. Just go into Orielly's and walk back to the window regulator section and you will see them either in packs of three or two. They are 9/16 diameter round X about .425 long.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #6
gbrtng

Any parts store with the HELP stuff has them. They come 3 pieces to a blister pack for about $7.00 - seem to remember they are called a part of a Ford pickup window regulator.
Solid white nylon rod like Mid America sells.
Old 09-12-2011   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueZR1 View Post
What kit do you recommend for the 1991 ZR1, so this will be a lifetime fix?
Brass/Bronze is a life time choice for your 91 ZR-1. The failure point is the Delran bushings. Available at Madvet or Ecklers. If you buy the brass gears the 3 bushings normally come with each gear in a kit. Also as stated the HELP section has the same bushings. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #8
USAFPILOT

I bought the brass gear set wit the solid plastic bushings. They are hard as hell to press into the brass gear, but I got them in and am having no trouble. I have no idea how long they will last, time will tell. Brass is still a soft metal, so if it starts to slip I think it will grind down. The best bet is to change those plastic bushings at the first sign of wear. So if you ever hear it clicking before it becomes a one eye, change them.

Last edited by USAFPILOT; 09-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #9
Schrade

Article in vette magazine said go with plastic gears, not bronze.

You want the plastic gears to fail, instead of the motor. Article also said weight of bronze gear is a factor. I don't know better to argue with their experience...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brass, gear, headlight, plastic, repair