ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-25-2018   #1
billschroeder5842

Default Continuing angst... headers today...

I'm still exploring my angst on some "light" upgrades; plenum porting, headers and a great tune. I do value the opinions of those what are actual users.

My question today is on headers. What is REALLY the difference between some of the major manufactures? There is a pretty good size pricing differential between SW and OBX and other, although all users swear by them.

My priorities are:
1) fit and installation ease; must fit to factory pipes as I'm keeping mufflers to reduce drone.
2) overall quality of constructon
3) performance gaines. yep, it would be nice to feel a pop
4) sound, tone as I'd like a bit more sounds but drone is a no-no

I'm a pretty sane driver, no race tracks but any freeway on-ramp is my own personal 1/4 mile. "flow at all costs" is not a thing as a couple of HP difference is not going to cause me to sweat.

What is the BEST value? Thanks!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018   #2
Vette73

Default Re: Continuing angst... headers today...

I went with OBX.....I too was going to keep my stock mufflers but went with the entire system...

I like the OBX and you can't beat the price.......A couple of HP here and there on a set of headers in my opinion are not a deal breaker....Double the price for a different system was....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018   #3
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
I went with OBX.....I too was going to keep my stock mufflers but went with the entire system...

I like the OBX and you can't beat the price.......A couple of HP here and there on a set of headers in my opinion are not a deal breaker....Double the price for a different system was....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Ditto, install was straight forward. Header quality is excellent. No drone but louder than expected. Removing the stock exhaust manifolds and cats was the tricky part. While it was all off I replaced the engine mounts (both broken) and fixed a PS leak. Once the system was in and adjusted I had a local shop professionally weld the entire exhaust. That way I’m not forever having to retighten clamps. Now I’m in the process of tuning to get the most out of it. Working with Dominic on that. Amazing to see how the tuning process changes the performance as you go along. I may still install high flow cats if the smell at idle can’t be tuned out.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #4
RichS

I used the OBX headers and Maximiser cat back. (same as obx) The headers fit with out any modification. The cat back I had to extend the pass side after the fake cat with a maybe 5" piece. I also welded it all as I "massaged" it to fit properly. Sounds great, No drone.
1994 ZR-1 #198, sold
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48400173802_2a6f122cfb_n.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]96 GrandSport#857[/COLOR],[COLOR=Red]Red Gut[/COLOR]
397 LT4, AFR heads,3:90 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla...
Best ET w/396 & 6-speed 11.02 @126.57 w/1.60 60'
Best ET w/396 & 700r4 10.82 @124.87 w/1.48 60'
2003 DarkShadowGray Ford Lightning 460rwhp/550rwtq 12.11 @112.18 w/1.71 60'
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #5
rush91

Bill, I know you replaced your resonator with the Mangaflow resonator. Are you planning on keeping the stock exhaust pipes as well as the mufflers?
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #6
efnfast

OBX from front to back.
The OBX headers did not clear the steering shaft and needed to be modified.
I notice the OBX SS exhaust is showing rusty spots.
Can't beat the price.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
OBX from front to back.
The OBX headers did not clear the steering shaft and needed to be modified.
I notice the OBX SS exhaust is showing rusty spots.
Can't beat the price.
I too run OBX headers and exhaust. No complaint whatsoever.
I had an opportunity to display OBX headers to SW set. They were identical except for OBX collector being about 8-10" forward (shorter runners) to compensate for fake bullet cats.
As for the OBX cat back vs. Corsa, dimensionally identical (may be even possible to mix and match components from one to the other) but internals of resonators and internals of mufflers were different - OBX being traditional perforated pipe with housing filled with sound insulation vs. OBX with helm-Holtz chambers.

Again, no complaints over OBX.

As for the steering column clearance we hear periodically, I think this is due to steering coupler location variance on steering intermediate shaft depending on the year. My 94 coupler is almost right up against the steering box and had no issue clearing the header. Earlier year cars seem to have coupler close to the middle of the intermediate shaft.

Last edited by secondchance; 01-26-2018 at 11:50 AM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #8
efnfast

Yun, my steering column rubbed against the header, and ceramic coated, it's very abrasive to the touch.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #9
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I too run OBX headers and exhaust. No complaint whatsoever.
I had an opportunity to display OBX headers to SW set. They were identical except for OBX collector being about 8-10" forward (shorter runners) to compensate for fake bullet cats.
As for the OBX cat back vs. Corsa, dimensionally identical (may be even possible to mix and match components from one to the other) but internals of resonators and internals of mufflers were different - OBX being traditional perforated pipe with housing filled with sound insulation vs. OBX with helm-Holtz chambers.

Again, no complaints over OBX.

As for the steering column clearance we hear periodically, I think this is due to steering coupler location variance on steering intermediate shaft depending on the year. My 94 coupler is almost right up against the steering box and had no issue clearing the header. Earlier year cars seem to have coupler close to the middle of the intermediate shaft.
Common issue with all headers for our cars as I understand it. Had to dimple my header too. Not a big issue.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #10
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
Bill, I know you replaced your resonator with the Mangaflow resonator. Are you planning on keeping the stock exhaust pipes as well as the mufflers?
This is the thought at the moment. Although the fact that the muffler is not a "true dual" I just LOVE the tips and how they complement/match the tail lights. I've also done to reading that says that the mufflers are not "all that bad" for back pressure, plus the no drone has me sold.

No, if I could find a true dual, with the stock tips, lower back pressure and no drone.... I'm in!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote