ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-12-2024   #1
hardhattg

Default Dam serpentine belt

I know this has been discussed have read all the threads just checking is any new tricks or advice to getting this serpentine belt on . Don?t want to change pulleys or belt size if can help it 2k mile 1990 . Tried installing a new replacement belt for many hours then gave up and tried putting old belt back on and can?t even get that one back on and I know that one fits . The tensioner and a completely retracted and trying to get over the back of water pump pulley last but just can?t get any leverage to pull it on it?s so tight ?

Can anyone offer any advice ?

Thanks
hardhattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024   #2
BlackZR1

Default Re: Dam serpentine belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhattg View Post
I know this has been discussed have read all the threads just checking is any new tricks or advice to getting this serpentine belt on . Don?t want to change pulleys or belt size if can help it 2k mile 1990 . Tried installing a new replacement belt for many hours then gave up and tried putting old belt back on and can?t even get that one back on and I know that one fits . The tensioner and a completely retracted and trying to get over the back of water pump pulley last but just can?t get any leverage to pull it on it?s so tight ?

Can anyone offer any advice ?

Thanks
If the old belt won't go back on double check the routing. There should be a decal on the fan shroud with a diagram. Also it is a little tricky making sure the belt is engaged on the lower pulley properly so that the ribs in the belt are engaged into the ribs on the lower pulley. It does help to have 3 hands but if you are holding the tensioner in a retracted position it should not be a battle to get the belt on
1990 ZR-1 #2699
Black on Black
15,000 miles
Full-time secondaries, 4.10 gears, C-beam plates, ported top end
BlackZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024   #3
Dynomite

Replacing the serpentine belt

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-12-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024   #4
hardhattg

Thanks guys . I ended up cheating a little and bought the half inch longer belt seems to work great , but the belt wasn?t making the noise the pulley was Marc haibeck is fedexing me a pulley

He also sent me a picture of the tool he uses to pull these belts over the water pump pulley . Would love to have one of those .
hardhattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024   #5
AlbanyBrian

I did the serpentine belt on my 1993 and it was pretty straight forward. I did remove the air cleaner coupler and air horn for easier access to the tensioner and belt. With those two items removed it wasn?t too difficult. Good luck.
Brian

Last edited by AlbanyBrian; 02-09-2024 at 12:02 AM.
AlbanyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024   #6
Raykahn

I had to find an alternate belt length for mine. If you have an L98 alternator pulley the recommendation is an 80 inch (2030mm) belt, and if you have the LT5 alternator pulley the recommendation is an 80.2 inch (2038mm) belt.

I have the lt5 pulley, so I cannot fit the 2030mm belt on (believe me I tried haha), but with the longer belts I just couldn't get rid of the belt squeal. No bad bearings, replaced tensioner with rebuilt units multiple times, etc. It drove me crazy.

Finally did a deep dive into serpentine belts and found some foreign cars used a 2035mm 6 rib poly v belt. Falls pretty nicely between the two recommended lengths. Ordered one, and that did the trick. Fits on nicely, no squeal.

Here's the spreadsheet I had made during this. Shows what options are out there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (124.9 KB, 119 views)
Raykahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024   #7
Z51JEFF

There is a belt that will not go on the car,I think it's the GOODYEAR belt. When I replaced it the first time couldn't use this belt,went with a Gates I think.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote